Any DLS EchoTap users here?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by theatomicjeff, Mar 28, 2008.

1. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

If so, how do you like it? Is it durable/reliable? Anything you can tell me is appreciated.

I want a tap-tempo function that is compatible with the PP2 and the DLS looks like it might be a good fit.

I was considering the Eventide TF but the recent news about overheating concerns when used without the furnished power supply makes me reluctant to get it.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't go by me, it's just one guys experience, but I didn't bond with it. Nothing particularly wrong with it, and the design is excellent and well thought out...auto correcting power supply in case you use reverse polarity by mistake, etc..lots of trimpots to mod and tweak to your taste, lots of control.

On paper I was expecting to just love that peda. In reality...I just never got it sounding how I like. I kept mine quite a while and tried tweaking it all over the spectrum, but just never got what I like out of it.

Let me mention, I am not a U2, looping, heavy delay guy, I like Hendrixy "Red House" style, slightly longer sometimes on solos, not too high with the delay itself in the mix when I play with bands, but at home I like to play around with it higher, longer delays, just play...

A huge problem for me was the levels...there was some interaction between knobs that I wasn't that pleased with. Sorry I can't be more specific, but it now has been a long while..the repeats never sounded full or sparkly enough to me, they always seems so-so or dull.

Delay/Echos I have or have had and prefer over the DLS: H2O, Deep Blue Delay, Nova Delay, Danelectro Reel echo, DE-7, Memory Lane, Digidelay, BYOC delay.

Delay I think is closest in being many-featured, but sounds way better: Nova Delay

3. SkipTracer

SkipTracer Member

I felt the exact same way when I had mine.

The main problem I had though was that I was expecting it to have an analog delay kind of quality. Long story short: It didn't, because that analog sound is not just about rolling off the high end of the repeats, which is all the DLS can do to emulate an analog delay. (Now I have a Deluxe Memory Man and couldn't be happier.)

I think it's a great pedal, but it just wasn't for me.

4. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Thanks for the input, guys. It's funny because I've tried the Dano Reel Tape Echo, DMM and the H20 and while I like what they did, I'm looking for something else.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I love the DLS and think it's very organic sounding.

6. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I really like the DLS and have recently taken to loving the TC Nova Delay as well.
    I still have both.

7. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Thanks jzucker and Brian, I'm going to take a chance on it and order it.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

A little late, but I agree with many of the comments above. It's a good pedal, well built, lots of good options. The delay quality is very pure in a digital sort of way, and I didn't end up bonding with it as I prefer a more tape-type delay. But still a very robust pedal worth a shot...