Any DM2 owners have advice for someone thinking of buy a DM2w...

rolsen

I bought a new non-Waza version some years back when I first got into analog delay. Ended up being the most 'boring' delay, aside from my old Boss DD-3 long chip. I guess I need a little modulation on my delay.

Side by side with a Carbon Copy, the DM-2 had a slightly different voice, but like I said just seemed boring next to a CC with the mod turned on. These days, I care no more about analog vs digital delays. The Dunlop Echoplex pedal (yes, tape, different than analog delay) opened my mind to digital for emulations of all sorts of delays. Digitech DL-8's delay emulations sound fantastic. My powerhouse is the Source Audio Nemesis.

With all the aforementioned delays at my disposal, if I had the DM-2 again (I'd sold it), I'm not sure where or how it would shine. Just my tastes, obviously, different than others.

The Whiz

^
Kill joy!

;) I kid. Thanks for your feedback. I have a carbon copy which I had a hate-on until recently when I put it near the front of my pedal chain (after fuzz and one od but before a slightly gritty Kingsley Page) and having the mix set high and modulation on I'm coming to like it. It stacks well into the downstream delay too.

I like that delays all have different flavors and it's nice to have options of changing them around. Also how well one works comes down to personal taste but also guitar type, amp type, settings, other pedals etc.

Ry@n

I only own the DM-2w, so I can’t comment on the differences with original DM-2. What I can tell you is I like both modes on the DM-2w, and I am not left yearning for an original DM-2 when I use the standard mode.

Ry@n

My DM2 advice is, whichever version you do get, put it up front before dirts. Every time I've ever had a DM2 or variant, they always sound much better up front in the chain.
I use mine before dirt, and I don’t even know if I’ve tried it in an effects loop. But I like that sort of ragged, creepy-sounding delay-before-dirt sound, which the DM-2w achieves very well.

Studio Owner

Interesting, because I own an original CE-2 and DM-2 (black label) and I think the Waza Craft versions actually sound a tad "sweeter" to me. Especially the CE-2w. That being said, I fall into the camp of thinking they basically sound the same in their respective modes. The Waza versions have more features which makes them the clear winner in this scenario, IMO.

OP, if I were you, I'd just look into the Waza version of the dm-2.

The older ones sound very different to me. Whether or not they sound better is a matter of opinion. The new ones are tighter, more high fidelity and modern sounding. The old ones are lo-fi, and also vary from pedal to pedal. It is a lot more evident with the chorus.

Mystik Spiral

I think this thread is derailing a little bit from the OPs original question but that's TGP.

I'm also a CE-2 nut, and I will say - I found the OGs have an ever so slight boost, and mid range focus.
WAZA in CE-2 mode does not, however slight flick into CE-1 Mode, and it has a slight boost, mid range focus and another flavour that sounds amazing.

OP - I used the DM-3 for about 10 years and only stopped using it when I started using a Line 6 DL4, presets, tap, well that was how things were... but I honed in my preset to be a close to the boss as possible.

Fast forward to around 2016 or so I went through the - what am I missing out on phase and picked up an original DM-2 - as I read lots that it's "better" etc.
My thoughts were, no, it's really not. The DM-2 has a little less delay time, was mono, and possibly like 2% darker.. again nothing worth noting/mentioning that mattered.

I got the DM-2W not long after as well, and again, stereo, custom mode with longer times available, but at it's core, it was identical sounding to the original DM-2.

I spent a good deal of time and even put all 3 on a single board for a while (because I could).

dm.JPG

Not long after I stopped using delays completely and purged my pedals. Fast forward to now - I wanted a Boss/DM flavour - no hesitation to pick up the waza, Cheap, readily available, and couldn't be more comfortable knowing a lot of what is written online is BS (in my experience).

If you grab an original, power it right, check/experiment with the internal trim pot and sleep tight knowing you have an awesome delay.
If you grab a waza, sleep tight knowing you have an awesome delay.

Hope this helps

Easyrom

Never has a DM-2 but have now a DM-2W and a Carbon Copy.

I really like the CC... but I'm gonna return it. I bought new in order to compare it to the Boss.

The DM-2W is still really warm but less dark. It feels wider, more natural to me and never in the way.

To my ears, the custom mode has a touch of modulation in it... Actually I managed to set the modulation of the CC really light and both pedals felt quite alike (but still more air and impression of space with the Boss).

It's funny to see that tons of people say the standard mode sounds just like the holy grail DM-2... but tend to prefer the custom mode (I know I do!).

Last edited:

that_brianm_guy

Platinum Supporting Member
I couldn’t stand the DM-2. 300ms of delay time and anything from 220ms has that ring mod aliasing noise. it’s basically unusable for anything but slapback.

Sounds like it needs to be calibrated then....

Regarding the Waza, I thought it sounded more like a DM-3 than it did my DM-2. Some of that I ascribe to the buffer; the Waza made the tone brighter even in bypass.

If you something close, but much, much cheaper, check out the Behringer Vintage Delay, the VD400

Frond

Sounds like it needs to be calibrated then....

it had already been calibrated by Young pedals in the States.

it’s the nature of the beast. all MN3XXX delays have aliasing noise at the last quarter / third of the pot sweep. my DM-2, AD-9, AD-80, DMMTT1100, DMM all do it. it’s the sound of the chip hitting it’s limit (MN3005 300ms, MN3008 & MN3205 150ms)

Slideman

I've had a DM-2 and a DM-2W - they're really close - the original may be a tad darker. For comparison, I also have a WH Aquapuss - which I tend to prefer as it has a bit more presence...but that's splitting hairs.

that_brianm_guy

Platinum Supporting Member
it had already been calibrated by Young pedals in the States.

it’s the nature of the beast. all MN3XXX delays have aliasing noise at the last quarter / third of the pot sweep. my DM-2, AD-9, AD-80, DMMTT1100, DMM all do it. it’s the sound of the chip hitting it’s limit (MN3005 300ms, MN3008 & MN3205 150ms)

Funny, Marcus calibrated mine :)

Maybe mine just does it in the last quarter, and I never go that far... but I was definitely hearing that ring mod thing before I took it to Marcus and we put it on his scope.

FWIW, mine is a MN3005, first version of the pedal.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I thought the whole Waza thing was just marketing hype but on a whim, I picked up a DM-2w. I liked it so much, I picked up a 2nd one! I haven't played a vintage one but I've played a bunch of Ibanez and Maxon AD-9's, Boss DD-2,3's, AnalogMan ARDX20, Death By Audio Echo Dream and Ghost Delays, my Fulltone TTE and a bunch of others, boutique and mass produced and the DM-2w is pretty near the top on that heap. Way better sounding than a Carbon Copy or RI Aqua Puss ever was and more reliable than the Maxon/Ibanez delays were. The closest would be the AnalogMan ARDX20.

So how does the DM2W sound as an always on pedal just to keep the intensity knob low to fill the air in a little bit for rhythm and leads prefferably with dirt? Most youtube videos are guys dicking around on the clean channel

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
Could the caitlinbread Tap tempo theoretically be used for the DM2w? Since both use the expression outputs

Lolaviola

Silver Supporting Member
So how does the DM2W sound as an always on pedal just to keep the intensity knob low to fill the air in a little bit for rhythm and leads prefferably with dirt? Most youtube videos are guys dicking around on the clean channel
That’s how I use it. It sounds great for that. My amp is on edge of breakup though. I bought two.

bibir

I just recently replace dm2w with a dm2 on my board. For me, the vintage one blends more with my sound. I'm using delay very subtle almost like reverb. The dm2 is darker, less repeat, more sweet and blends more. Dm2w is very close in tone and much more versatile. Had a carbon copy years ago, sold it within months. Can't stand the tone, too modern.

Guess it's very personal, but both and sell one rhaty doesn't fit

Trending Topics

Top Bottom