Any DOD FX90 Analog Delay love?

Rabidclam

I've heard good things bout this little guy. I can get it at a pawn shop dirt cheap. Is it worth it?

fieldsroyal

mate - i find any true analog delay from the 80's worth a look - if it's got a bucket brigade chip in it it'll get those cool gritty warm repeats that oscillate in a real musical fashion. I've owned 2 cheaper analog delays - a Washburn and Arion - and they honestly sound just as sweet as my old DM3 - i'd jump on the old DOD delay - BTW I've heard they're very nice sounding.

jcs

Of course buy it if its cheap!

I still own mine, its a cool pedal for what it does overall imo.

dmc777

mate - i find any true analog delay from the 80's worth a look - if it's got a bucket brigade chip in it it'll get those cool gritty warm repeats that oscillate in a real musical fashion. I've owned 2 cheaper analog delays - a Washburn and Arion - and they honestly sound just as sweet as my old DM3 - i'd jump on the old DOD delay - BTW I've heard they're very nice sounding.
Agreed. I love just trying and comparing the older BBD analog delays. I've had 2 Blue 4 knob DMM's, 1 EHX Stereo Echo/Chorus, 1 MXR M118, and a DM-3. Out of those it's a tie between my DMM and the M118. I still wanna try the DOD680, The Performer series, DM-2and a ton of others. How much are they asking for it if you don't mind me asking? I believe there's a few different versions of that pedal. The first should Grey lettering at the top left. Anyways, I think it has the same chip as the DM3. That being said, technology really has caught up in the delay department. Alot of the hybrids are sounding damn good but way too expensive.

How do you like the Arion? Is it the one with the Reticon chip?

I've actually heard great things about this. Some guys did a clip of it:

I think it sounds pretty good! Check out the other clips on YouTube as well. It's definitely interesting! Very dark and gritty character. I've also read there's a trimpot inside to make the delay longer. It can introduce some clocknoise.
There's one in The Netherlands for around €95,-
haha, I might just pick it up for kicks, though I can't afford it right now (saving up for a Memory Lane 2) - so, I'll probably won't.

Last edited:

dmc777

Demo...I think you and I or on about the same page as far as delays go. Always searching for another one ha! Damn I have 4 on my board right now! I've seen this video a few times. I can't count how many times I've sat down with my studio headphones and listened to samples of different delays for hours on end.

Demo...I think you and I or on about the same page as far as delays go. Always searching for another one ha! Damn I have 4 on my board right now! I've seen this video a few times. I can't count how many times I've sat down with my studio headphones and listened to samples of different delays for hours on end.
haha, I know! I/We're horrible! I'm always on the look-out for new delays, especially analog/tape ones. I'm also hunting down a Roland SRE-555/RE-501 Chorus Echo and looking to get a Memory Lane 2. I'm testing the ML2 next week in some shop somewhere in the Netherlands.
It's a disease, really! :D In some ways I'm ashamed of it, but on the other hand, TGP is kinda like a place where I can see I'm not the only one acting like this. I've seen worse though. People constantly selling gear to fund the next piece. That's not how I roll, though. I keep what I love and try to save up to add something. If it doesn't work out, I sell it, but I never get desperate.

Oh and, I'm replying to your PM right now!

elpueblosound

I was into these a while back and was checking them out on ebay to try to grab one until I started seeing them go for $90 - 120 which is TOTALLY not worth it.
These are great pedals but they are best used as a "always on" type pedal.
Remember, that's that flimsy 80's DOD little plate for you to step on, so they tend to break easy.

Rabidclam

I've actually heard great things about this. Some guys did a clip of it:

I think it sounds pretty good! Check out the other clips on YouTube as well. It's definitely interesting! Very dark and gritty character. I've also read there's a trimpot inside to make the delay longer. It can introduce some clocknoise.
There's one in The Netherlands for around €95,-
haha, I might just pick it up for kicks, though I can't afford it right now (saving up for a Memory Lane 2) - so, I'll probably won't.

Haha! Dude those are the videos I watched about it! Saw you commented too ;)

Rabidclam

I was into these a while back and was checking them out on ebay to try to grab one until I started seeing them go for $90 - 120 which is TOTALLY not worth it.
These are great pedals but they are best used as a "always on" type pedal.
Remember, that's that flimsy 80's DOD little plate for you to step on, so they tend to break easy.
I gig twice a week with two DANO MINIS on my board. Have for a longtime. I baby my effects a bit. Haha

kp8

I had an FX90 on my board for about a year only to replace it with the FX96. So you might say that I am a fan. The FX96 is still part of my rig. FX90 has some serious grit too it and works better with a powersupply. I think it was originally meant to take 10volts so a 12 volt dc power supply might give you more clean headroom. I dont know for sure. I used a 9v. with mine. My switch was less than great but i think you can replace those or just wire it to always be on and stick it in a looper.

-kp

lonelylooper

Plate of shrimp
Silver Supporting Member
I loved that delay when I had it.
And I think I payed something like $15 for it at a little hawk shop.

thedroid

I had an FX90 on my board for about a year only to replace it with the FX96. So you might say that I am a fan. The FX96 is still part of my rig. FX90 has some serious grit too it and works better with a powersupply. I think it was originally meant to take 10volts so a 12 volt dc power supply might give you more clean headroom. I dont know for sure. I used a 9v. with mine. My switch was less than great but i think you can replace those or just wire it to always be on and stick it in a looper.

-kp
Interesting. I'll have to try mine on 12v. It's a super dark and dirty delay with great oscillation, to any who haven't tried it.

edkoppel

I had a pretty large collection of delays at one point, and ended up selling most of them except my DMM, Ibanez DML20 and the DOD FX90.

the trails aren't just "darK", they have that old-timey, recorded in the 50's feel to them. a trick i like to do in the studio is to split the signal and just record the trails and not the clean signal, then go back and adjust it to the right time. Add some vibrato and it makes for some super lo-fi love!

fontenel

Supporting Member
I'm not sure about the fx90, but if it's anything like the fx96 then it probably kills! I just picked up a fx96 for $28 (ebay) and I'm blown away. It easily sounds better than my $150 Carbon Copy and it's more versatile (with the ability to control the 'quality' of the repeats). I have no idea why this thing doesn't cost 5-10 times more, but I'm glad... you can't beat $28 for a sweet analog delay!

Steve73

Yeah, I've had an FX90 for like 20 years and it goes off and on my board. Very warm, analog delay that sounds excellent. Not terribly versatile with limited delay but it's great for slapback echo and crazy sound FX.