Any downside to a Studiolive?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Teleking, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Been thinking about making the switch. Selling my rack gear could probably pay for the Studiolive.

Anyone had any issues? Anything to be concerned with? Have you done live recording with it?

I'm really intrigued by this board and the capabilities.

I do say our feedback control in our driverack works very well when mixing from the stage, so I wonder if I'll miss that knowing it will quickly grab any runaway feedback while playing.

2. joel98z

joel98z Member

My band has had our 24.0.2 since April and love it. We get full multi-track recordings of all our gigs.. I just posted a recording from it in the thread below..

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=978182

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

I don't think the StudioLive has a crossover, so you'll still need your Driverack.

4. Steve Z

Steve Z Silver Supporting Member

Can the Studiolive be used as an audio interface in the home studio for programs like Garage Band, S-gear, etc?

I am looking to get a high quality interface (Apogee Duet 2, or something similar) as well as possibly a 16 channel mixer so I thought perhaps the Studiolive 16.4.2 might do everything in one package for about the same price and possibly even better.

My use: at home hobbyist and provide live sound support for neighborhood events and local school about 5 times per year.

Cheers,
    Steve

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  5. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

Have sold a couple here, finally decided to buy the 24 for myself, for my band's use and some selected rentals here and there. It's due to land here tomorrow...:dude

For all the stuff it does, it beats toting a big FOH rack and a larger board with ample auxes and sends. I've used one of the 1642's on maybe a dozen or so gigs, and have high hopes for the 24.

K

6. loudboy

loudboy Member

Also, the channel Trims aren't stored, so levels need to be reset, even if the setup for a band can be recalled.

That's kind of a big one.

7. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

Is it something that might be wise to wait on for a year or so as more of these types of features start becoming standard?

How are the effects? "serviceable" isn't really good enough. I just need a good reverb and a short delay. But good live effects are hard to come by.

They look pretty easy to use. I'd prefer to just haul this than all the rack gear.

8. Tormenos

Tormenos Member

MY only complaint is the channel level pots, I really wish these were stored and could be recalled simlilar to other settings. I play in multiple bands with different members and am always having to recheck levels before each show.

That really is my only complaint.

9. parkhill

parkhill Member

I'm thinking about getting one myself. I've been researching them and the two things that bother me so far is that they don't record at 96khz and they can't be used as a control surface for a DAW. I'll still probably take the jump but I really wish it could do those things.

10. Somniferous

Somniferous Member

The channel gain is a big one.

The absence of flying faders can be annoying if you need to change scenes while mixing.

11. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

It's great for a budget, compact, capable console. It is missing a few feature, but it's less than 1/2 the price of a LS-9. I'd love one for our church, but I need 32 channels.

12. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

I have yet to change a scene during gigs.

If you do, then perhaps it's not the right tool, and you will have to cough up for an LS9, or go with some sort I variation of an 01v96.

I have an SL24.4.2 and I love it. I mix remotely from an iPad, and record the shows as well. Haven't had much time to work with the recordings, as I'm just too busy.

Set up for wireless mixing via iPad

First "real" gig where I was wandering out and about. No dropouts or whatever. Man I just would wander back to the mixer, mainly to make sure no one was around it, and a bit out of guilt. I'm the sound guy, I guess I should be by the board.

Figured out how to label channels in VSL, which were then automatically transferred to the pad. The really nice thing was, I just plugged everything in, turned it on, and it worked. No fiddling with connecting to the proper network or anything. Budda bing, budda boom, good to go.

:love:

A few pics of my setup...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a quick video. No real mixing going on, as I was holding the iPhone in one hand, and the iPad in the other.

Me mixing another band...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CH8DmCnv8A

And another video of me messing around at home with the iPad.

oh yeah, my FOH/monitor setup...

Yorkville U15's over LS800p's
    YX12's for monitors...

[​IMG]

13. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

robare,

Your setup is exactly what I'm shooting for. Already have the Mac book, just waiting on some more cash flow to score an iPad. One of my sound company/studio customers was describing to me how he sets up the mixer and very small rack on the side of the stage, does monitors first, then walks out and around with the iPad doing his mixing. No snake, just iPad out front. Leaving my split snake at home appeals to me.

As luck would have it mine came yesterday, I actually attempted to read the manual to it last night:nuts. Am leaving right now to go to our keyboard player's shop (he owns a cabinet shop) to build the case for the new mixer.

I have a plan in mind for a case that holds the mixer on top, has a pull out side table to hold the laptop, a cubbyhole beneath the mixer to store the laptop or whatever, then maybe 12-14 rack spaces beneath for a rack drawer, cd player, Driverack 4800, and a couple of other things. And a UPS. When I get it together I'll post pics.

K

14. Steve Z

Anyone know that answer?

Thanks,
    Steve

15. Den

Den Member

I don't have experience with Garageband or S-gear, but StudioLive comes with Presonus' excellent Studio One recording software and is compatible with any number of popular recording software. I just upgraded Studio One to version 2 for $10 and am looking forward to spending time with it this weekend.

I think a Studiolive is an awesome combination of recording interface and mixer that's great for live performance as well.

Did a quick Google search and found this in a Presonus forum:

"Yes, the StudioLive will work fine with GarageBand and Soundtrack. Just go to your AudioMidi Setup and select the PreSonus Firestudio Driver as the default input and output device."

16. Steve Z

17. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

Not sure about GarageBand '11 but I know '09 had a limit on simultaneous inputs, like around 8

18. robare99

robare99 Senior Member

I do use a UPS, I hear it makes it run smoother, as it delivers a cleaner power source, plus if you lose power at the venue, you have about 10 minutes to shut everything down...

19. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Kent, I'd love to come over and see what you build for it.

I got a StudioLive 16.4.2 recently in trade for a guitar. Used it two nights ago for a gig, and it was great. But there's a limited number of cases that'll fit this thing, and I need to put it in something to protect it.

20. kentronicus

kentronicus Member

I'll give you a holler when it's done so you can see it up close. Also I'll post pics and dimensions here too when it's all done for anyone else interested with a similar project in mind.

So far the dimensions are working out close to fitting in a road case for a Leslie that I have already. Since we don't drag that thing out much anymore, this will plop right in that case, and when the lid is lifted off, voila, you have a rock solid table beside you at FOH for your laptop, lighting console, or whatever.

If this works out like I think it will, this would be a relatively straightforward project with a table saw, drill, and hand tools. And if an ATA case were needed to house it, just look for a used 122 Leslie case online, or order one up since most case makers are familiar with making that. It would be a lot cheaper having a lid and tray case made than a custom ATA combo mixer/rack case. It won't be a lightweight by any means but for the mixing power and processing on board, and all it can do, I will bet it would still be lighter by a good bit than a case with equivalent rack processing.

K