Any drummers around?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by David Simpson, May 1, 2016.

1. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Any idea what this Mapex kit is worth? I bought this new back in 2004 for my kid and it never got played much. Very little use and still looks brand new. Its an Artist series from that year in Maple
    Yes...I spent some time looking on around online with no luck.

Thanks

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Depends a lot on the cymbals you're including.
    They can be inexpensive to sometimes costing as much as the kit.

3. G Man

G Man Member

What did you pay for it new back in 2004? Its probably worth about half that now.

David Simpson likes this.
  4. FFTT

FFTT Member

Since the beginning of intelligent awareness, since they were banging animal bones & skins together, folks have been looking for a good tight, in-the-pocket drummer.

5. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

David...Yes, what did you pay for them? Looks like Sabian cymbals. What series? If you give me some info, I can help you. Any accessories, like cases or covers?

6. jmoose

jmoose Member

Need better pictures...close up of the badges and tops of the cymbals. I'm not sure that's a maple kit, Mapex doesn't have an "artist" series, the hi end kits are called Saturn and the Orion. The Orion is a maple kit and that's certainly not an Orion. The tom mount, lugs and badges would be different.

Cymbals could be worth almost nothing if they're Sabian B8, could be a few hundred if they're AA or HH series.

Knowing what you paid for everything would help...if it really hifi gear it's worth splitting up. If it's beginner series it's not worth much, or maybe worth keeping. Band rehearsals at your house?

7. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

I pulled them out of storage for a event last Friday and thats not my kid. Thats why I painted her out. :D

kristian likes this.
  8. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I paid $1,250.00 back then from Don Bennett drum studios outside Seattle. They have a pretty good reputation.
    The paperwork said Artist Select series.
    The cymbals had a signed C of A from Sabian I'm looking for.
    [​IMG]

9. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

10. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

you got that right...some of my friends that do their 3 piece gigs have a heck of a time booking drummers around here with out at least a Month notice!

11. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Hey DB. No cases except for the cymbals. I must say all the hardware seems to be really good quality....Very solid.
    Thank you!

12. FFTT

FFTT Member

Good friends put out an ad for a pro, studio ready, tour worthy drummer.
    40 self proclaimed drummers showed up.
    Only 2 had the chops, the timing, taste and strong vocals.

13. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

I was thinking probably half yes....but wanted to check with anyone in the know....I'm just a guitar player. ;)

14. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

15. jmoose

jmoose Member

I don't know what to tell 'ya but Mapex never made an "Artist Select" kit. They're generally named after planets & such; Mars, Venus, Saturn etc. The only maple kit they've made is an Orion, and that's clearly NOT an Orion kit. Hardware & badges are wrong, and the Orions would've come with real Remo heads, not "house branded" skins. Would probably also be birdseye or flame maple outer ply as well.

The Sabian XS are 'midrange' cymbals and there's a slew of 'em out there. Getting half back might be optimistic, especially since the line was just discontinued and replaced with the XSR a few months ago. Shops are blowing out remaining stock of the XS.

If the drum shop deals with used gear and would be willing to take them on consignment that's probably your best bet. Either that or ask around your musician friends & see if someone needs a kit. Otherwise unless you can "speak drum" and figure out exactly what the series and shell sizes are you'll basically give it away, especially if its a package deal with all cymbals & hardware.

Like I said, it might be worth keeping for a rehearsal & knock around gig kit. Mapex gear has never had great resale value, being a "mystery kit" certainly isn't going to help. Right now its the equivalent of - Guitar for sale - Fender!

16. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

I understand yes....I'd like to keep them but with no current rehearsal hang and kinda needing the cash these days...

This was the first time out of storage in over ten years and are sitting in my car. It'd be a good time to post on the local FB sell page or wherever rather than putting back in storage. Just wanted to bounce it off you guys this weekend to get an idea.

I'll call Bennet's studio this week and see what they say about consignment ect...

Thank you all!

G Man likes this.
  17. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Not a drummer but if I had a dollar for every time I heard that. Everyone's always blowin' out or replacing what I want to unload.

18. DrumBob

David...Some good replies. I would say ask $800 for the whole set and take $650-700. The Sabian B8s aren't worth much, but they're a good starter cymbal for a kid. The whole set is a great deal for a kid to start on. Good luck.

enharmonic likes this.
  19. Ephi82

Ephi82 Member

IMO they might be a good choice for some parent wanting to buy a "decent" beginner set for their kid, because they are near new and would cost $400-$600 from you.

They are decent, and would be a good buy, but you need to know your market. You bought for a kid, sell for a kid.

Craigslist or local newspaper classifieds?

Again, just my opinion

Hey

just an outside the box thought, but how about reaching out to the middle school or high school music dept teacher who might know of a talented kid where a donation may support a career? Tax deductable......

20. DrumBob

Things are a bit different in the drum world. Cymbal companies are constantly changing and upgrading their products. Sabian is a very forward thinking company that tries new things all the time. Been there, know the people, and have seen first hand how they operate.

Mapex drums have never really caught on big. They never got the major artist support that companies like DW and Ludwig consistently have.