Any dudes rocking Kefs?

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Hired Goon, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Supporting Member

Picked up some outdoor speakers for my deck that seem pretty good, and a pair of Q-100s with a sub for my library. Actually sound very clear to me, and in fact more clear than the Tannoy PBMs I've been using for years in my home studio. Heard things I hadn't heard before with these babies.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

The KEF Q series are very nice, have a pair of Q300 myself in my stereo setup. Excellent dispersion and great clarity and coherence from the coax config. I don't even use a sub in this setup, the 300's dig just low enough and the bass knob on my Onkyo integrated shelves up the bass region in a pleasing way.

[​IMG]

soulohio and Hired Goon like this.
  3. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

4. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

Kef q300 in an old linn rig - superb - low end is amazing if the recording has plenty

5. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

I had a pair of these Chartwells in the 70's, they had Kefs in them. Kefs rock!
    [​IMG]

soulohio likes this.
  6. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

KEF LS50s here. Powering them with a circa 1965 McIntosh MC225 stereo tube amp. These speakers are quite amazing, especially at their (for hi end standards) affordable price. No fancy stands for them however, just a pair of D'Addario bar stools I got "for free" by sending in a bunch of empty cardboard string packages back when they had that incentive.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Stu Cats and '62 Stratmaniac like this.
  7. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

Man, I'd never leave the house.

8. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Have you heard the LS50 wireless ? I was amazed at how good they sounded.

Stu Cats likes this.
  9. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Supporting Member

About to order the KEF LS50!! Paired with a JL Sub.

Do they sound as good as all the reviews say?

10. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

Quite happy with my LS50s, and I'm pairing them with some higher end tube gear on the front side but I don't feel I skimped on the speakers at all. I haven't heard better speakers short of paying x2 or x3 the $.

11. magilla

magilla Chasing those soulful sounds. Silver Supporting Member

On a semi-related note, I love the Kef M500 headphones. Grado SR325e's for home, but for commuting, walking around, throwing in the bag, love their headphones. I've heard their speakers before and am a big fan, as well.

soulohio likes this.
  12. Guitar Fixation

Cool. My front end is a Cary Audio SLI-80, VPI Scout 2, and Manley Labs Chinook. I'm looking to upgrade my speakers, but my place in San Francisco is small. Was looking at 3 way full range speakers for a while, but my current two-way floor standers are more than filling the room, even overloading for some music. So I'm looking to go the monitor/sub route so I can retain the low end, but find a better location for the LF that works in the room. The sub is a JL Fathom that has room correction. I was looking at the B&W 805 D's, but I keep reading about how good the KEF's are, and far less expensive. My primary desire in a speaker is imaging and detail. I want a wide soundstage. It really sounds like the LS50's are what I'm after.

Stu Cats and soulohio like this.
  13. k9gromit

k9gromit Member

Another LS50 fan here. PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium integrated amp powering them. Just get them in the right place in the room and smile, smile, smile....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Stu Cats likes this.
  14. Guitar Fixation

Had a chance to audition the KEFs over the weekend. They are a really awesome speaker, shocking how much bass they were able to produce. In the end I decided to stay with the speakers I currently have (Odyssey Audio Lorelei), I actually gained a whole new appreciation for them.

15. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

My HT is 5/7th's KEF.

LS50's for Front L/R, Q200 and Q700's for Center and Surround L/R. Some old orphaned bookshelf Missions for Rears. All driven by a Yamaha Avantage receiver.

My hi-fi set up in another room is Magnaplanar/Linn/Threshold but sometimes I like to listen to the LS50s (and sub) for music. They are a remarkable speaker for the money. I wish they sold single units, I'd love to use one for my Center, but I couldn't stand having another sitting in box, doing nothing.

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

103.2 here. Bought from guy who had the electrolytic caps done. They sound fantastic.

17. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

A friend of mine had KEF 103.2's back in the '80's and I always loved the way they sounded.

I'm using the LS50's right now and I'm very happy with them. Thinking of adding a sub, but they do go pretty low on their own for such a small speaker.

18. '62 Stratmaniac

'62 Stratmaniac Member

Not in the LS50 league, but I have a set of C40s powered by an Integra receiver, and some Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s powered by a Jolida EL84 integrated amp. Both fed by an Arcam Alpha 7 CD player.

19. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

I recently added a KEF T5i sub to my tube gear running my LS50s. For most material I wasn’t missing any lows, but the little T5i has really impressed me when the source material demands such a device. The T5i integrates well with several different hookup configurations. In my case I’m running the T5i in high level input mode which basically leaves the LS50s to roll off naturally, and basic a blend is created to cover the lowest response taking the sub signal right off the tube power amp speaker connections which then drive the powered sub.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  20. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Supporting Member

This will be my next audio purchase when I go back to Canada for the summer.

Tony Foran likes this.