Any EBS Dynaverb users around?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Charles#5, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I'm thinking about getting a reverb pedal (again) and I was wondering if the EBS is any good. Or are there better alternatives? Small footprint is required (i.e. no bigger than a Boss sized pedal)

Thanks,

Johan.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I love mine. It has such great options (three types, Hall, Room, and Plate) and each has three different settings, it lets you dial in the mix (like almos all reverb) but also the tone!

It sounds fantastic. I tried the Holy Grail (didn't like the lack of tweakability, that the reverb tail length couldn't be adjusted, that it had to have it's own power supply) and a few others. The Dynaverb I just fell in love with when I tried it.

In the "show your pedalboard" thread, I just published my pics, and the Dynaverb is on it. I use it instead of my built-in verbs in all cases, with my Hot Rod DeVille, Peavey Classic 30, and Carvin MTS3212. I like it better, it is more controllable, and in the case of the DeVille (reverb is not footswitchable on the DeVille) I can turn it on and off at will from the board.

Built solid.

3. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

Thanks for your input! I like the small footprint of the dynaverb. Can you power it with a 1Spot or Boss power supply? That Ikea board is a great idea. I was in a local Ikea warehouse a couple of days ago but didn't spot that one. I checked out their site and it's only 5 euro too! I'm planning on building a new board myself and will definitely consider the shoe shelf option. What did you use to cut it smaller?

Cheers,

Johan.

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have one on all the time, powered by a PPII. Sounds great. I've had rack units, etc. but I just want a taste of reverb and don't want to haul rack stuff.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hi,
    Yeah, it's a normal 9v negative center pin supply. I never used it with battery.

On the Ikea thing, I had to cut the front down to make it a little less angled and then chop off the sides a little. I used a hacksaw, and a file. Later on also used a dremel. The cool thing with this is all the holes in it, great for routing power. But when you cut its width you need to sturdy it up a little for more support or else the whole thing bows when you step on a pedal. I bought myself an inexpensive rivet-tool and some rivets, and some plate metal to use on the sides to stiffen it up.

Also great to have is a "christmas tree" concentric hole drill. Don't know how to describe it but after stiffening it I needed some holes there, and on the front to run som lines. It was work.

Also a word of warning you may not need if you are less cluless than me, but if I had to do it over I would not have painted it at all. The paint barely stuck to the shelf, when I applied velcro the first time it just tore off with the paint :) Maybe you know more about it, but you either need to let it be aluminium or else prep it or roughen it up, or use some special paint that can bond better with it.

I made that small bracket underneath for power. Added a couple of angle-braces and it is holding up nicely.

It DID end up costing me probably more in money, not even counting the time (hours and hours...days...weeks...looking for parts...etc.) it probably is cheaper to buy a ready made one but not near as fun. Then again, if you are handier and already have some of the tools, maybe it is cheaper.

Good luck! and you really can't go wrong with that EBS Dynaverb in my opinion. I love it!

6. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

i would have bought one, i love the stereo inputs, but it doesn't get synthetic enough for me.

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't think I've EVER hear anyone say that in reference to a reverb unit before!

Most people I have read of keep looking for units that sound natural :)

Just goes to show...how in the world can we rate products with so many different "ideals" for a goal?

8. Charles#5

Charles#5 Member

I just got a Dynaverb on Ebay Italy for a very decent price. I think I'll like it.

Cheers,

Johan.

9. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I've had one for a while, and also have a Boss RV5 for comparison. I think it sounds a little more natural (less digital) than the Boss. The Boss is a little more versatile in terms of having different verbs and the ability to make fine adjustments. Either of these easily beats the Holy Grail, IMHO.

10. lanervoza

lanervoza Member

well, natural is good too. I want both. I went with the digiverb and it made me happy. Now I have a Kurzweil Rumour too :).