Any Electricians Or Av Guys In The House? Strange Sounds...UPDATED!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by sleshnyc, May 18, 2015.

1. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

So here is my problem. I get a high pitched whine in my house when using single coil guitars. No, it's not single coil buzzing. And it happens anywhere in my house. I don't get it anywhere else, so I know it's not the cable or instrument or amp. The frequency is centered at 7.3khz. It's so pronounced that I have to insert a notch filter to an aux in in Pro Tools when recording. Fortunately, the bandwidth is so narrow it doesn't impact my tone all that much. Any thoughts? I dont think this is merely a 'check your light bulbs' thing. It's everywhere. I"m wondering if there is an issue with the electrical in my house. I tried one guy but he didn't have a clue and didn't seem all that interested. My house is fairly new, 2001, with 2 200amp boxes.
    Any ideas appreciated.

UPDATE. So, we figured it out. It was the dog fence. Gotta thank my wife for thinking of that one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  2. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

Dimmer switches and/or fluorescent lighting are big culprits that I'm aware of.

3. pete692

pete692 Supporting Member

Those mini flourescent bulbs can create that sound all on their own. I have my two bathroom vanities loaded with them, and they ring/whine like little bells when I turn them on.

4. terickson

terickson Supporting Member

Start by shutting off breakers at the sub-panels, one at a time, looking for the culprit. When you figure out which circuit it's on, disconnect each individual load. don't overlook things like doorbell transformers, smoke detectors, etc. Happy hunting!

dsimon665 likes this.
  5. custom53

custom53 Member

As said before.. The first thing to check would be to isolate all the dimmer switches and any fluorescent lights. Then do the same with any big draw items.. Microwave, Stove, Dryer, etc.. One by one..

That would be a good start..

6. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

i'd love to know what device puts out 7.3k. bc it's a tight peak there.

7. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

As others have said... Appliances and dimmers put off some noise- if you're a single coil guy, you probably know all about different lights and the freqs they put off.
    I had a computer psu that always left bizarre high pitched sounds in my tracks... Turns out my wall outlet wasn't correctly grounded and was one of the only outlets in the house not grounded... Very weird.

Good luck! Certainly post your findings for us.

8. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

it was our electric dog fence putting out the high pitch.

9. soulohio

soulohio Member

I had haunted pickups once.. really... especially in the mids...haunting....

10. custom53

custom53 Member

As an Electrician I will have to remember that one. Never had to look for that problem but nice to know just in case..

11. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

Huh? The electric dog fence is backfeeding 7.3 kHz into your power system? Is this an actual electric fence or one of those invisible fences?

Or is this RFI inducted into the power system (if it's one of those invisible fences)? If so, how much broadcast current does that thing have? That's insane!

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'm late, but my first thought would've been RF from a security system, or wireless network of some sort...

13. sleshnyc

sleshnyc Member

the Invisible fence. As soon as i unplugged it in the basement the noise stopped.

dansworld likes this.