Any ENGL fans here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Flah, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Flah

Flah Member

After owning Bogner, Marshall, Mesa, Krank, etc., I finally found an amp that gets really close to the tone I hear in my head, and it's an ENGL Savage 120. I'm able to dial in pretty much most classic tones and a lot of heavy tones with this amp, along with an EQ in the effects loop.

You can hear some clips here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5284530

Any other ENGL fans around?

[​IMG]

2. marinblues

marinblues Member

3. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I like the R. Blackmore model and the invader looks interesting.

4. enditol

enditol Member

I just got an SE EL-34 and it's WICKED so far!!! One of the best amps i've ever owned for sure. Hugely versatile and tons of amazing sounds, and loads of useful smart features as well. I'm definitely a fan now!

5. Flah

Flah Member

For some reason YouTube videos take forever to load here at work, so after 20 minutes of trying, I can only hear the first 30 seconds of that video. The beginning reminds me of Black Magic Woman, not so much in the tone but in the notes. I really like the tone you're getting - I'm hearing that sweet round Carlton type thing.

I'm looking forward to going home and hearing the whole thing!

6. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

I became aware of Engl amps quite a few years ago, when I discovered that the one high gain patch on my little Behringer modeling thingy (shaped like a blue plastic guitar body) that I liked the best was called "Savage Beast" (IIRC). It said it was based on an Engl Savage 120, so I started studying them. After discovering the Engl forum and Yoeri Fransens (Lord Riffenstein) web site http://www.fransens.com/ and hearing many clips, I've always wanted an Engl. Never could afford one, though, except for maybe the E530 preamp. I don't think it's based on the Savage, though, I think it was maybe more like the preamp section of one of the other Engls. Like marinblues, my music styles are different, but the Savage 120 is an very versatile amp. WAY more power than I'd ever need, though! :D

Maybe someday. Good to hear you're liking yours!

7. photios

photios Member

I'm becoming a big ENGL fan. It all started when I was looking for a power amp for my rack rig...when I A/B'd the ENGL 850/100 with VHT, Randall, Soldano power amps, the ENGL won out.

That gave me some new insight into ENGL as a company...before I had thought they were just putting out death metal amps...now I was intrigued. So I bought the E580 preamp...it now sits in my rack and the Soldano X99 is sitting on the shelf collecting dust!!! yeah, the 580 is that good.

Now, I'm A/Bing the ENGL Pro 4x12 cabs...and guess what? Yep, they're kicking serious ass too...I'm in the process of switching out to ENGL Pro cabs.

I've tried a LOT of boutique gear and I never thought I'd be an ENGL player, but I have a new found repsect for their gear in a big way. Their top end gear is second to none IMO. I can't wait to try the SE 670 head...its gonna be my next purchase.

8. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

ive been a big engl fan for about 4 years now, i currently have a engl-se el-34 and its my fav amp ive ever owned and i have owned diezels,mesa,bogner,vht,soldano,framus,marshall and a few others.

i had the powerball,savage 120,invader 100 and 150, and 2 engl se.

9. Sam801

Sam801 Member

I've owned a Powerball V1 and an E530 Preamp. Both were pretty good.

The Powerball just wasn't versatile enough for my tastes though.
    The high gain was super tight, and very compressed. Which I only like some times. The cleans were nice. The crunch was a bit too tinny for me though. There weren't enough raw and open tones in the amp for me. If intense modern high gain is your sound though. This amp does it extremely well.

The E530 is a killer preamp. And for that Price(I paid $400 new!) it puts so many nice tube preamps to shame in both tone and build quality. A lot more versatile than the Powerball.

10. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

11. Sikor

Sikor Member

Sure, there are :)
    I love my Sovereign combo, great, versatile amp.

12. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

ENGL Special Edition user.
    For studio and live rigs where I need a lot of great sounds (no compromisies) I 've found that SE delivers them in spades.
    Although I have some heavy weighters in separate sonic directions as Bruno, Vox HW, Bogner, Mesa etc. , so far SE is only amp that is capable delivering incredibly great cleans to the most brutal heavy distortion, as well as, almost all in between.
    Sonically, it's 5 channels cover 95% of imaginable grounds.
    In way of control, SE has the best implemented MIDI board that controls the beast.
    Priced around 3500 (street) SE is real bargain compared to most of 'boutique' one trick ponies.
    Warm recommendation.

13. marinblues

marinblues Member

Hey thanks man. I'm not really on the hard rock side. I bought the Engl Screamer because I tried it in a shop and it played nice and it very versatile.

Marin

14. quasimono

quasimono Member

I am proud owner of their new "Invader 100" amp, and this thing really rocks big time! A very versatile amp, albeit more on the modern side of guitar sounds.

4 channels with hi/lo gain-switch, 2 masters, 2 fx-lines and this thing packs a punch that is just unbelievable.. :)

The clean channel has to be the best sounding clean channel i ever heard on a multichannel amp, and channels 2 - 4 get more and more packed with very defined, well rounded gain!

very much recommended!

greetings!

15. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

EL34 or 6l6 version?

16. Willemdaguide

Willemdaguide Member

I've been using a ENGL screamer 50 head with a 2x12 V30 cab for the last 5 years. Before that I've changed amps a lot but with the ENGL I've found my sound!!

17. mhenson42

mhenson42 Supporting Member

I've owned a Powerball, 2 Fireballs and an SE (el34) and played most of the others except a Savage. Great amps all around.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I've been an ENGL fan for almost 20 years now , at this point. I don't even dare try out their new amps as I have way too many excellent amps already and hate the 'selling ' game!

ERIC

19. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

EL34, but swaping with 6L6 in no brainer (tube bias adjustment is easy, so whatever one likes)

:worthless

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]