1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Epiphone Bass Love?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by 70' s Tone, Oct 15, 2017.

1. bob-i

bob-i Member

That T-bird is beautiful.

Unfortunately every Epi bass I've played has been neck heavy. I like the Cassidy, it's a huge instrument but plays and sounds great, but neck heavy. Same for the T-bird, love the growl but its neck heavy. The EB line a small and comfortable with that huge bottom and sound, but neck heavy.

I'd love for someone to tell me that's not always the case and I've just seen unbalanced examples.

2. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Use a wide (2" or more) strap that does not have a smooth under surface. You'll be fine. I've done this for years and it works.

3. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

I have both a Casady and a TBird. The JC will dive,the TBird doesn't. So it depends both on the individual bass AND the strap you are using. Wide leather for both, no issues on stage.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

I'm not really comfortable with the strap preventing neck dive. I'm always aware of it pulling on my shirt. I always use wide leather straps but I prefer my instruments to balance.

msteeln likes this.
  5. ballynally

ballynally Member

For me it was a choice between the JC and the Rumblekat.i tried both and decided the Rumblekat ticked all the boxes.not as neck heavy as the JC,chambered no f holes, great slim neck, comfortable body.With Chromes it plays like butter and sounds stunningly good.My P/J and Yamaha BB full scale basses stay in their cases most of the time.There's nothing cheap about the Rumblekat sound.Hardware is soso but decent enough, pickups are very good though and it looks gorgeous..

msteeln likes this.
  6. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Member

My Thunderbird Vintage Pro with the recently installed hand covers.

[​IMG]

TD

7. Seance

Seance Member

Anyone have one of these? Made in Japan Epiphone from the 1970s with two humbuckers.
    Not sure if it is called a "Newport" or "Embassy" (edit: might actually be ET-285).
    This isn't my picture, but the one I have is full scale, and at some point I lost the metal cover
    over the strings on the body.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Member

If my memory serves me correctly the Embassy is the long scale 34" version and the Newport is the 30" short scale.

TD

Seance likes this.
  9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

IIRC, the Embassy is, basically, the Epi version of a Thunderbird IV.

Seance likes this.
  10. Seance

Seance Member

I found this on a Talk Bass forum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Another vote for the Casady model. I really like hollow body basses. But you want solid get an Embassy.

12. Simto

Simto Supporting Member

Jack Casady bass with some thick round wound strings and a pick running into a nice and crunchy amp sounds insane! Sounds like a bigger p bass

They had a limited edition white version with black plastic and binding. It looked so sick... I'm sad I didn't get it....

I'm kinda sad they changed the tint on the gold model too. They changed it from gold to a very green'ish gold colour which makes it look pretty nasty.... the older gold versions had that deep gold colour.

13. msteeln

msteeln Member

the RumbleKat is still on my Christmas list from last year and if the Embassy looked as cool as a Thunderbird I'd be there too. the JC is another top choice, but Epiphone makes the Toby line and my dirt cheap Std. IV has been awesome in every way and now I'm spoiled on small, light, comfortable, good looking basses that kick ass. still open to their EB1 SG style classic, these don't match the real deal yet have their own thing going, and I've got a Cort Curbow Retro on the way which promises to give the Toby a big run.