1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Epiphone Elitist LP owners out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Fifthstone, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I bought an Epiphone Elitists Les Paul Standard in vintage sunburst about a year ago. Just curious what other owners think of theirs.

I had a/b'd this against various Gibson Les Pauls (standard line, not Custom Shop) and came away pretty sure that this Epiphone was better built overall. I haven't been crazy about the bridge pickup; I think it sounds a bit too thin, but it sounds good on high gain. Any recommendations on replacement pickups for that bridge?

I see that Epi has taken the Standard out of production, leaving the Plus, Custom and Gold Top.

2. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I purchased an Elitist LP Standard when MF was blowing them out.

For the money ($700), I think it is a great guitar. I wouldn't go as far and say they were better built than my USA Gibsons, but they are in the same zip code.

I don't have issues with the pickups. I find them to be adequate for a wide range of styles.

The bridge on mine is horrible. It is a cheap ABR bridge. The saddles are pointy enough to slice your hand open if you're not paying attention. I'm replacing mine with a Tone-pros.

Other things to note:
    1) The maple cap carve on my Elitist is not as deep as my Gibson LP.
    2) Binding does not cover the end of the frets. (Some folks prefer this to Gibson's standard binding)
    3) The poly finish is pretty thick.
    4) Frets are not quite as large as my other Gibsons.

The factory setup was decent. The hard shell case is nice. The inlays were installed flawlessly. The African Mahogany has nice figuring and the maple top has a hint of flame. The rosewood fretboard is also nice.

If someone is looking for a LP style guitar and doesn't want to spend a lot, I think there are worse guitars you could buy. I think it's also a great guitar for someone who doesn't want to risk having their more expensive gear damaged or stolen for gigging purposes.

3. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Are you trying to start a riot or something? :D

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

4. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I've got one too and it's a great guitar. I prefer it to my Gibson as well.

I've noticed that sharp saddle also but instead of replacing it I'll probably just file it down. I don't really see anything cheap about it other than that. The poly finish is actually very very thin, not at all thick. I've got issues with the bridge pickup as well but at higher stage volume it sounds pretty good. The one thing my Gibson and Burny have over it IMO is the fret edge binding, which I prefer.

I think at this level it just comes down to preference. The main reason I prefer my Elitist to my Gibby is because the Gibson's finish gets a little sticky on the neck for me. I'm in the minority there since most seem to love that nitro finish. In the end I love all three guitars (Burny, Gibby, Elitist) and none of them are going anywhere.

5. Chukster

Chukster Member

I recently got one as well, from MF in their recent sale on Elitist LP Standards. I've got no complaints about this one - it's prettylight, very resonant, and sustains forever at stage volume. The rosewood is nice, the mahogany is straight-grained, it stays in tune, and the fretwork is nice and consistent. I would like it if the frets were a little bit taller, but otherwise this is an outstanding guitar, and especially when you consider the price.

6. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

I just got back from seeing Phil Jacoby. I brought him my Epiphone Elitist to have it Plek'd and install a Tone-pros.

Phil scanned the guitar and discovered that the factory fret job was decent, but it could benefit from being Plek'd.

He also discoverd that the pots, switch and jack were all pretty cheap and suggested that they be replaced. I agreed and he's doing a few other mods to the electronics.

Today was my first visit to Phil and I was blown away by his skill, craftsmanship, communication and knowledge. If you live anywhere around Baltimore, I highly suggest visiting Phil for any repair or setup work.

7. retrospex

retrospex Member

I bought one recently and I totally agree with twterrill, the bridge is definitely the weak part. It works but is rather cheesy. It is now my main stage guitar. The pickups are fairly good, I like them. It is a great playing guitar.

8. MoRawk

MoRawk Member

With those blowout Elitists from MF for $700, you couldn't go wrong. Drop $300 into electronics and WCR's and I would think they'd sound comparable or better than a stock Gibson LP Standard. If you're a player and don't mind the headstock, can't beat that. I wouldn't mind the Epiphone headstock at all. It would be the sleeper guitar that would wow everyone heh. Like those japanese import tuner cars...take an ordinary car and hotrod it.

9. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Ok,

I just bought my Elitist Standard plus last week, it arrived on Mon. After really checking it out and playing it well, I can say I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

For the price, I could have bought a Gibson LP Studio, or and SG, or a few other guitars, but I kept going back to the Elitist LP's, because of the reputation they are begining to earn by "word of mouth". I played a friends, and loved it.

Now that I have mine (a faded Cherry Standard +), I can really tell you how nice it is. I have NO plans on pickup swaps or anything else. If something goes out, I will fix it, and maybe "upgrade" a bit then, but I see no need in it right now.

My bridge is great, setup was almost perfect (had to raise the action a little bit). The finish is awesome, and the tone is there. Plugged into a tricked out Hot Rod Deluxe, this baby can get a wide range of sounds. I found out the pickups are really nice for overdriven blues and classic rock, but they do just fine when I decide to throw in a Blur or Weezer cover as well.

In short, buy it, play it, and love it (it's not nearly as red as it looks, almost a honey color).

Oh ya, here's some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 59model

59model Member

If you are looking for more midrange, not high midrange like a JB, try a Custom Custom. FAT as hell. BUT, I`ve noticed everyone has a different opinion on fat, some think it`s more bass and highs, and some think like me, fat around the midsection like a beer belly, LOL!

11. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

That Standard Plus is beautiful. :AOK

12. satinsixstring

satinsixstring Member

Thanks Tim,

It's plays like a mother too