Any Eric McFadden fans?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tremayne007, Mar 2, 2012.

1. tremayne007

tremayne007 Member

I caught his show last night at the urging of a friend, pretty impressive. I had heard the name before but he was pretty much off my radar. I would post a youtube clip but honestly the ones I checked did no justice with the poor sound quality, if anything they discouraged me from going. Lucky my friend twisted my arm.

Serious vibe this fellow has, and plenty of chops to get it across. Cool stuff for sure.

2. starjag

starjag Member

Very talented indeed. Did he play Godins through a Zinky?

3. tremayne007

tremayne007 Member

He sure did, for most of the night.

He also played a black SG and some unknown classical/nylon sting. The black SG came out when a buddy of mine called for a tune called "Bus Driver" at a pause between songs. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked over, laughed, and said "we have to play that". He then grabbed the SG and tuned it up and continued to roll with it for a few tunes.

They all sounded great (due to his monster playing), but I liked the hollowbody tones the best. They really maintain the clarity and separation, even when he was peeling off the notes with a good bit of distortion, regardless of where he was on the fretboard. Chunky and rich, yet articulate. They suit his style perfectly.

I am assuming he is well known here, I see he has played with Nels Cline who seems to be on everyone's radar.

Definitely a heavy weight. For anyone who hasn't seen him, I suggest checking him out if he comes to your town. I doubt you would leave unimpressed.

4. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have liked Eric since he played that old Harmony hollowbody!