• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any ETA on CB Zero Point?

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
I remember seeing some winter namm videos with a projected release of spring, and it's still not around. I love the idea of a simple, momentary flanger, and it does exactly what I would want a flanger to do.

catalinbread

They knocked it out of the park.

Thanks! It was a lot of stressful work making a no knob flanger. But it was worth it cause now I actually love flanger effects!

Also, a pretty cool and unexpected factoid... Joe Perry was the first to play through a Zero Point in front of an audience earlier this week when Aerosmith came through PDX with Living Colour.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
It was pretty awesome that they stopped by your shop and walked away with some. That's got to be such a good feeling, knowing you make some unique stuff that is used by everyone from folks jamming in their bedroom to guys like Joe Perry.

The videos sound really good too. I hope that it sells well, it's definitely a unique idea for an effect that's been done a lot. Something I can't tell from the videos all too well, is it something you can leave on all the time and just step on the momentary switch when you want to use it, or does engaging the effect also add any coloration like a tape deck would?

Something I can't tell from the videos all too well, is it something you can leave on all the time and just step on the momentary switch when you want to use it, or does engaging the effect also add any coloration like a tape deck would?
If you go to 9:40 it looks like when he kicks on the pedal but does not immediately engage the momentary switch, there is modulation added that sort of lingers and then rises and falls with each press of the momentary switch. Could be wrong, but that's what I'm hearing.

I am pretty stoked to try this one out, might be just what I need.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
If you go to 9:40 it looks like when he kicks on the pedal but does not immediately engage the momentary switch, there is modulation added that sort of lingers and then rises and falls with each press of the momentary switch. Could be wrong, but that's what I'm hearing.

I am pretty stoked to try this one out, might be just what I need.
I can't tell if it's just due to it being switched on, or a constant effect. It would be nice to use as an always on pedal, but if there is some modulation happening that's cool too.

catalinbread

It was pretty awesome that they stopped by your shop and walked away with some. That's got to be such a good feeling, knowing you make some unique stuff that is used by everyone from folks jamming in their bedroom to guys like Joe Perry.

The videos sound really good too. I hope that it sells well, it's definitely a unique idea for an effect that's been done a lot. Something I can't tell from the videos all too well, is it something you can leave on all the time and just step on the momentary switch when you want to use it, or does engaging the effect also add any coloration like a tape deck would?
It definitely has some dual deck tape like qualities when you just leave it on without pushing the momentary. There is a tape-like EQ colorization/compression that is cool. When Howard put it on a drum track it brought out the kick in a cool way and does similar things to distorted guitar (Zero Point after the Dirty Little Secret is my favorite at the moment). But not only that, when you line up two tape tracks in the studio as Larry Crane demonstrated for us at Jackpot Studios, there is a ethereal movement that you experience even before pressing the tape reel flange, caused by the mechanics of stretched tape, tension arms, variations of motor speeds etc. It so far removed from that up and down LFO flanger sound that it is tough to describe. Sonically it has both phase shift qualities, delay qualities, but not exactly predictable... The movement isn't super dramatic but it seems to move between your ears and behind your eyes. Something like the surf, subtly rolling in a way that seems like a pattern but "off" just a bit.

When you press the momentary it slows one deck down against the other (releasing it speeds it back up) which allows you to get more traditional flanger behaviors of up and down, but it is organic because you control the movement.

The pedal itself takes some getting used to, I should say "letting go of". I found out for myself after I let myself go, suddenly I was not thinking about anything at all, next thing I knew I was in the midst of making music.

hucklebee

It definitely has some dual deck tape like qualities when you just leave it on without pushing the momentary. There is a tape-like EQ colorization/compression that is cool. When Howard put it on a drum track it brought out the kick in a cool way and does similar things to distorted guitar (Zero Point after the Dirty Little Secret is my favorite at the moment). But not only that, when you line up two tape tracks in the studio as Larry Crane demonstrated for us at Jackpot Studios, there is a ethereal movement that you experience even before pressing the tape reel flange, caused by the mechanics of stretched tape, tension arms, variations of motor speeds etc. It so far removed from that up and down LFO flanger sound that it is tough to describe. Sonically it has both phase shift qualities, delay qualities, but not exactly predictable... The movement isn't super dramatic but it seems to move between your ears and behind your eyes. Something like the surf, subtly rolling in a way that seems like a pattern but "off" just a bit.

When you press the momentary it slows one deck down against the other (releasing it speeds it back up) which allows you to get more traditional flanger behaviors of up and down, but it is organic because you control the movement.

The pedal itself takes some getting used to, I should say "letting go of". I found out for myself after I let myself go, suddenly I was not thinking about anything at all, next thing I knew I was in the midst of making music.
And in my opinion, this is what makes catalinbread pedals so special... the designs are so well thought out and the interface so effortless, that you spend more time playing and less time turning knobs... got my order in!

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
@catalinbread Thanks for the clarification! The more I think about it, the more exciting that is. I'm not sure if I'd leave it as an always on now or not, but the flip side is that it adds even more versatility, or brings more to the table than flanging when the momentary switch is pressed. The warmth of some reel to reels in a pedal, yeah I'll try that!

Uli Jon Blackmore

Silver Supporting Member
I see that they are shipping on Monday. I may have missed this but I wonder if the effect is analog or digital. The video sounds great but I had the Tunnelworm (yes, by another company) and just did not care for it when I played it with my rig. I may wait for the Paradox 2 if this is digital.

Last edited:

hucklebee

Picked mine up from Catalinbread offices yesterday. It is a pretty incredible pedal in its subtleness. The ability to engage a momentary switch and take the signal through flange, it definitely adds ethereal character. When stacked after OD, it really shines. I stacked a Zvex BOR -> Karma Suture… = Big Smile.

cheers, Catalinbread

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Just watched the demo video on this. Looks really cool. This or the wait for the Foxrox??? Debating that right now....

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
So far, what I have to say about the Zero Point is that it is fun to interact with. I don't want to downplay the sound that it makes, it sounds lush and large, like recorded flanging, but it's not the point here. There are a lot of great sounding flangers on the market right now. The point is the fun you have interacting with it. What I love in the interaction is that the flange sweep is random enough that you don't get the same wave form, but not so random that it would alter a part of a song where you wanted to use a flanger night after night. It's just fun to press the switch and see what you get, and whether it's faster or slower, you always get a great woosh! As an aside, I've been using it more in the + mode, the - mode is definitely more dramatic, and if you hold and keep holding the switch the sound will pass through zero completely and won't come back until you let off the switch. What I like about that is you can let off immediately for a regular through zero sound, or you could apply it as a silence or dramatic pause, with a swoosh back in when you let off. All in all, this thing is fun and functional, definitely worth trying out if you are looking for something to accentuate parts, but not something I'd recommend if you are looking to turn it on, get a constant wave form, and just play.

Trending Topics