Any EV12L Open back fans out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tommyg, Aug 25, 2005.

1. tommyg

tommyg Member

I was just wondering if there are any EV12L fans still out there. I had one originally loaded in a 1x12 Thiele designed Boogie cabinet but I moved it into my Mesa/Boogie MKIII combo. I had to replace the C-Rex speaker that was "farting out" during the cleans.

Can anyone give me their opinions on the EV12L in an open back? Is there any speaker you could sort of compare it too (JBL? Jensen?).

Thanks in advance for all responses!

2. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I've used EVM12L's for years, (Clean, high headroom, tight bottom being my thing),
    Recently changed to Eminence Tonkers, which seem tighter & cleaner than the EV.

Works for me,...good luck.

3. glasman

glasman Guest

I have a partially open back 2x12 with EVM12L's and I am pretty happy with the tone. The only problem is they are out of production and cost more used than the Red Coat and Patriot series eminence speakers.

And like veldt666 I want to the try the tonkers as well, I hear a lot of good comments about them.

Gary

4. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

I'm interested in the Tonkers... compared to the EV, does it have more midrange/british coloration?

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I had Tonkers and EVM12Ls and host of others all at the same time. We did an a/b test with them using a GDS Dumble and well they are sold. I still have the EVs still not my favorite but better to my ear then the Tonkers. What did I like better a pair of alnico Tone Tubby speakers or if you need high power Fane 100 watt alnicos, both sound warmer smoother sweeter.

6. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I find the Tonkers are more evenly balanced, top to bottom. No upper midrange honk, & a very wide open clear sound, STILL WARM. But not shrill like a JBL. Also a quicker dynamic than the EV.

Sometimes an EV can sound a little "shrouded" @ certain frequencies.IMHO.

7. redgold

Thanks for the replies. Based on the clips, I hear the Tonker as having similar break up to the EVM, but maybe more midrange coloration and a bit more aggressive (which is what I'm looking for)... is this comparison correct?

Tommy, I really like my EVM, but it gets a little harsh on the top end with some amps when cranked. It's front loaded in a smaller mesa cab, so I wonder if that might have something to do with how mine responds. I had a thieled mesa cab, but that was many moons ago; if memory serves they were both directional with the thieled having bigger bass. The mesa 1x12 cab I really like is the widebody open back.

8. tommyg

tommyg Member

Redgold -

Thanks for the reply! I had the EV in the thiele 1x12 but just moved it into the combo. I did notice a little loss of bass response ("punch" maybe) but I think it does have a slightly more "airyness" to it.

It seems so "Hi-Fi" and not alot of character though. Then again I've been playing this at lower levels and didn't have the chance yet to play at near-stage volume.

Have you found the speaker to be warm or do you find it rather "sterile"? Can you describe the tone your getting? Again - the EV is now in my open-back combo.

Thanks again!

9. redgold

10. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I have an EV12L in an open-backed big Fuchs cab, sounds great with my two rock mod.
    Yeah, I like this kinda speaker with preamp distortion amps like Mesa & Dumble-style.

11. gulliver

gulliver Member

If you're looking for a thick high-gain sound, I don't think the EVLs are best suited. They do sound great with cleans, overdrive and basic distortion tones IMHO. Screeching metal players with no bass may be the exception.

Hope this clip helps

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

Anyone know which EV speakers that Zack Wylde uses in his 4x12s? His use of them for very high gain doesn't seem to match opinions offered here, for whatever reason.

13. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

I have a '70's Sunn 2-12 cab.w/ 2 EVM12L's with a semi open back that makes all of my amps come alive. It's so full sounding that a room sounds like a hall. The EVM's require a fairly intense break-in. They aren't very efficient and the cone needs a work out before it lets the tone open up. Most people give up on them before they are ripe. The hemp Tone Tubbies need a similar break in, although not as long.

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Just today I got back this 212 cab loaded with EV12Ls that I had loaned out. It's closed back but you can pull one panel off to make it sort of half closed. I like it better closed.

On the other hand, I have a Rivera M100 with an EV12L in it and that sounds just fine.

15. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I'm actually considering going back to an EV12L in an open back cab for a Fender Pro Reverb. I loved it in a Mk III I used for several years.

I've tried lots of speakers and currently have and use JBL, Celestion Blue, G12H, Weber, Altone, EV SRO and a few others, but I like the full, tight bottom that the EV12L offers without breaking a sweat.

16. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have a Mesa 2-12 with the ported bottom and open top that has two EV's in it. The EV's will stay clean at ridiculous levels. But the huge magnet, heavy cone and large voice coil create a series inductance (like the inductor coil in a crossover) that rolls off the high end, the louder you go. Bruce Zinky explained this to me when I was using one of his amps into this cabinet. That cab is loaned out to my friend John Wedemeyer who has been using one for years. At the volumes he sometimes plays, most everything else breaks up. But I do notice the roll off with his rig as well. Makes for a very huge round sound. I don't need that much clean headroom. So I loaned him the cab while I've settled on Tonkers. Someday, we'll have to try the Tonkers on a casual where he can play around a bit. The Tonkers are much more present than the EV's. Not in that JBL like shrillness, but a much more immediate sound. There is also a Dumble/RF like lower mid hump instead of the more extended low end thump you can get out of heavily driven EV's. Haven't had the opportunity to crank them up to JW levels, but I've heard RF playing them and they hold up for him. Although John usually has more low end thump in his set up which is rough on the speakers.

The open top of that Mesa cab throws a lot of sound out the back. You have to be careful not to put it where someone might be behind it. The open top does give that more open and airy character. I'm not sure why EV's tend to end up in closed cabs. Maybe because they are about the strongest speaker around and when folks are looking to maximize bass and power in a closed box, they put EV's in there.

The EMI equivilant is the Delta Pro. The Delta is a stamped frame speaker. I've A/B'd a Delta Pro and a Mesa labled EVM12L and found the EV to be a taste more hi-fi, with the EMI being a bit sweeter. If one of the EV's in that cab went, I'd probably put a Delta Pro back in.

17. tommyg

tommyg Member

Aelion -

Thanks for the comments! As noted in my tag line, I swapped my EV12L for a C-Rex. I love the sound of the C-Rex in both open and closed situations. As a matter of fact one of the smoothest sounds I ever had was the C-Rex (open) and the EV in my Thiele ported Mesa 1x12. There's something about the sound of the EV in a closed/ported cab that is "sweeter" than in an open cab. Maybe the closed/ported cabs capture more of the overall tone of the speaker w/o the sound slipping out the back as in an open cab as you reported?!? I dunno....

When I find the time I'll have to experiment more with the C-Rex/EV combination again.

18. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

This is one of the few discussions I have found on experimenting with speakers in the upper open and closed thiele lower portions of the vintage MB 2x12.

I started using one for rock gigs where I wanted more than my MB 1x12 w/EVM-12L could offer and did not want to lug around my 4x12. It came with a C-90 on top and the EVM in the bottom.

I tried a Altec 417 in the thiele portion and it completely lost the ability to get that all-important palm mute thump like a 4x12 can give ... and it lost clarity. I had a Tone Tubby but had to let it go early since it was a low power speaker and didn't want to blow it up w/ my Soldano X88R > VHT 292 power amp.

I thought it sounded pretty good for the gigs I played the way it came though I feel the EVM was a bit directional and not as detailed in the lower end for fast ringing arpeggios, etc. and only found it tricky getting the response I need from an amp in one room.

Since then I discovered the Scumbacks and decided to put a H75-8LHDC-XHP 100 watt large dust cap in the upper portion after turning down an EV Force 12 since it sounded too compressed. And not the Altec since it is compressed in the right way for blues/jazz fusion at low levels but fails in this when turned up for some reason.

I also tried a Celestion G12-65 in the upper and it sounds very nice confirming the Scumback. Today, I bought a freshly re-coned ceramic EV SRO to try in the bottom portion since it is so related to the 12L in terms of what the thiele design favors hoping that it would add some warmth and detail and loose some of its directionality.

19. Big White Tele

Big White Tele Member

I have an EVM 12s in a 66 Deluxe reverb. It sounds fantastic to me. I also have a 64 that Ive tried a lot of different speakers in, and the EV always sounds better to me.

20. Cussion

Cussion Member

I'm using two open-back Boogie 1x12 cabinets (non-Thiele) with my Mark 1. EVM12Ls
    I think they are great, very open/airy sound that still keeps a big tight bottom end.

Right now I'm only playing through one of them, cause in my little flat it's just too overwhelming with two of them.
    I'm stacking 'em right now, but I think they would sound great with both on the floor.