• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Any experience actually using a Dimarzio Cruiser bridge pickup in the bridge?

starbelly

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all!

I’ve been playing my strat more lately, and part of me is wanting a bit more juice out of the bridge pickup for higher gain, sustaining solo tones. Currently, I have a set of Lollar Dirty Blackface pickups (Special in the bridge, Blackfaces in the middle and neck) and have been considering swapping out the bridge pickup for something like a Dimarzio Cruiser, which I hear work quite well in a strat (Mark Speer and Andy Timmons being my two favorite examples).

Does anyone here have any experience using the Cruiser bridge pickup in the bridge of a strat? How did you like it? How does it interact with the middle pickup in the 2nd position? Any guidance on pot values when putting a Cruiser in the bridge?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
The Cruiser is a humbucker... great Strat bridge pickup with no hum, fatter mids and higher output. .great for lead work.....

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
Sure. They sound great, like slightly hot singles sound. And totally quiet. They mix well with cruiser necks obviously, but I don’t know about other strat pickups. Polarity could be an issue if you mix with non-dimarzio.

Also, and this is important- they work best with 500k pots. Most traditional singles will sound shrill with those unless you compensate In the wiring.

IME you’ll do best using all rails (specifically all cruisers) vs. mixing them with other singles. If you need a hotter, thicker, quiet bridge pup to mix with traditional singles, the virtual vintage pickups (areas, virtuals, injectors) will probably be a better fit.

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
I used a cruiser in a Tele Years ago. It didn’t do the twang much but it did give a,beautiful classic rock lead sound. Great if that is your goal.

starbelly

Silver Supporting Member
Sure. They sound great, like slightly hot singles sound. And totally quiet. They mix well with cruiser necks obviously, but I don’t know about other strat pickups. Polarity could be an issue if you mix with non-dimarzio.

Also, and this is important- they work best with 500k pots. Most traditional singles will sound shrill with those unless you compensate In the wiring.

IME you’ll do best using all rails (specifically all cruisers) vs. mixing them with other singles. If you need a hotter, thicker, quiet bridge pup to mix with traditional singles, the virtual vintage pickups (areas, virtuals, injectors) will probably be a better fit.
I'm going for a more HSS type of sound and versatility. I hadn't considered polarity before, but I've seen others use a Cruiser in the bridge with other pickups in the middle and neck.

Trending Topics