1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Any experience buying guitars from ProAudioStar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phillybri, Mar 24, 2020.

1. phillybri

phillybri Member

I'm thinking of buying a guitar from them, but I'm not really familiar with their whole scene.

Their Reverb feedback is impeccable, but when I messaged them to get more pics of the guitar I'm looking to buy, they said they couldn't provide them.

Thoughts?

2. Snowdogyyz

Snowdogyyz Member

Apparently the guitars are in warehouses somewhere. I bought an EVH Wolfgang special from them not long ago on reverb that was listed as mint. When I got it, it had the famous neck pocket finish crack. I contacted them and they immediately started the refund process. I asked if they could just swap it but he said the guitars are not on hand but in a warehouse. No issues on the return or refund.

phillybri likes this.
  3. phillybri

phillybri Member

Yeah, that's why they said they couldn't provide pics. Curious...

MkIII Renegade likes this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I tried to buy a keyboard from them last month. Placed an order online (their site), paid, got an email confirmation, and then nothing for over a week.

Followed up by calling customer service twice. First call I was on hold for 30 mins (listening to an almost non stop loop of fusion until it’d pause for a second to make you think someone picked up) when they finally picked up they informed me their system was down for the night (6pm central) and to call back the next day. Called them at 10am following day, on hold another 40 mins, get someone and they told me they couldn’t place the order because the item had been discontinued and they’d refund me.

Now I’m not sayin’ that’s the average service they offer to everyone as I see a pile of people having great experiences with them but... It kinda put me off of them.

In the end I saved $50 and got amazing service from Chuck Levin’s for the item I should’ve just bought from a “real” dealer in the first place.

fretless and phillybri like this.
  5. PatriotBadger

PatriotBadger Member

As mentioned, the web site is a front for a warehouse operation (like a million other businesses). I bought a Schecter from them and it was fine, but wasn't packed worth a turd. Luckily it survived unscathed. In my estimation the best thing about them is the occasional off-the-charts good deals on specific items. Sometimes they get product overruns and sell them for half of the standard street price. Problem is, they are impossible to find on the site. There is no quick way to find and sort them, you have to kind of stumble across them randomly.

Example - a while back they had MIM Jackson Dinky HT MAHs for $479, normal street price is $900. A guy on here was raving about the the deal he got somewhere else, to the tune of 7 or 8 hundred bucks, and I didn't have the heart to tell him. Got a similar deal on my Schecter.

mojah and phillybri like this.
  6. phillybri

phillybri Member

Yeah, the deal I'm looking at is fairly insane...

7. offthiscentury

offthiscentury Member

I bought an Universal Audio Ox from them. It arrived in a timely fashion in the condition as advertised.

8. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

I have bought a few speakers\pedals from them... no issues. You can haggle with them a bit on the price

9. Juan Tuthri

Juan Tuthri Supporting Member

Are they just a middle man, or drop shipper. Is that what "it comes out of a warehouse" means?

10. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I bought a Line 6 amp and Shortboard from them. No problems there.

11. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

They're like a B&H Photo. Big web front for a warehouse operation in NY. They're large enough that they can buy from manufacturers in decent quantity and they're world class hagglers, so they can often buy at below wholesale. They tend to charge going market prices for items, but when they do a blow out, they often publish prices below what many other MI retailers will do. I've bought from them before- typical place your order...wait sometimes longer than quoted...receive order new in sealed factory packaging happy you saved some cash. If you're looking for daily email updates on where your item is in shipping or candy in the box you receive, these aren't your guys.

ozraves and Juan Tuthri like this.
  12. 58flame

58flame Member

Several orders from them, no problems ever. Their end of year deals are legendary.

13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

I've bought stuff off their ebay store and never had a problem.

14. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Just Wanna Be Misunderstood Vendor

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    I’ve bought a few synths from them for very good prices. I had to return one that had a broken keybed. It took a whole month to sort out but it all worked out.

I’d buy from them again but I wouldn’t expect the highest service level.

15. NHDave

NHDave Supporting Member

great deals on charvels, believe they are selling new guitars as used to get around
    map or maybe factory seconds? The one I got was mint and had all the stuff
    that you would expect new.

16. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I bought a bare bones EVH Axis a couple of years ago for $125 shipped.

It was a demo but was like new.

They have some great deals on demo stuff.

fretless likes this.
  17. danielsale

danielsale Member

I've had one good and one WTF experience with them. The WTF one was a (supposedly) new EVH Bumblebee that came with a Floyd Rose that was not blocked for dive-only. Those guitars are blocked because a D-Tuna won't work properly if they're not. Could've been a screw-up on EVH's end, though. I dunno.

Anyway I generally check them before I buy anything for no other reason than the price. They've got the deals.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  18. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

I bought an ESP from them recently because they gave me a fantastic price. It was shipped from VA which I was told is where their warehouse is located. Arrived on time and in good shape. I also bought an ESP from Sweetwater. That also arrived on time and was better packaged (double boxed) and they had made some attempt at setting it up. Didn't get as good a discount as the other one. YMMV

19. IanRubbish

IanRubbish Member

Tried to buy 1 thing from them and would not deal with them again. They jerked me around on a Focusrite interface for like a week. They refunded me out of nowhere after telling me they promise it shipped it for the better part of the week and it was a tracking issue. Then they said oh we actually don’t have that in stock anymore.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  20. Madison

Madison Member

I've bought a couple pedals from them and get them the next day since their warehouse is in Virginia, and I'm in Va.

fretless likes this.