1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any experience w/ Eminence 15" Big Ben?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Pedro58, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Has anyone played through/heard one of these? If so, with what setup (Amp/Guitar)?

2. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

i have one and i use a 50 watt bumbox cielo. it is basically a marshall based head, like a jumpered plexi or even a jcm 800, with a les paul loadedl with duncan antiquities. i also have a 2x12 cab with greenbacks. i am so in love with the big ben. it just has great low end, but it is just bright enough to cut through. overall it just has a lot of power and presence, it holds a lot and retains a ton of clarity. i just recorded sound clips with it today for nate at bumbox so in a couple of weeks they should be up and you can get an idea, but i just love it!

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

That sounds great, especially considering the price! I'm thinking of trying one out... Thanks for the input!

4. hemlock

hemlock Guest

I have one in the Sewell Texaplex that I got a few weeks ago. I like the amp a great deal. I haven't tried any other speakers yet, but theamp sounds very warm, yet punchy. I was surprised at the tightness also. Not sure how much of the sound is due to speaker and how much is amp, though.

5. pepeteus

pepeteus Member

I have had one in my Peavey Delta Blues for maybe 6 months or so. I have to say that at first I really didn't like it all. I thought it was very stiff and cut too much highs compared to the stock Blue Marvel (made by Eminence). The lows are tight and were an immediate improvement over the Blue Marvel. But I continued to play it and I think it sounds very good when it's broken in a little. I'm sure it still hasn't fully broken in and it still needs hammering. And as we don't play at very high volumes it may take quite long to do it.

I has a "British" character as it has a little mid emphasis. The clean sounds are warm and round 'cause it cuts the highs, but I've begun to appreciate the warmer clean sounds that are easier on the ear! The speaker still has enough highs to cut through, but it isn't pearcing. There's a little peak in the upper mids which help cut through. What I really like are the overdriven sounds as you can expect from the speaker that cuts a little of that high end!

I think this would be even better speaker for a bright Fender style amp that needs a little taming in the highs and a little push in the mids - if that's what you want.

6. Bluewail

Bluewail Silver Supporting Member

While your looking at Emi 15"s, don't pass up the Legend 151. It is the brighter cousin of the Big Ben, same tight bass response, more American than Brit and one of my favorite speakers. I've used in a Carr Slant 6V with great results.