Any experience with both a Mini-POG and an Octron?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mentalfloss, Jul 29, 2008.

1. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

From the clips I've listened to these sound pretty different, but I have no direct experience with them. I'm considering small-footprint octave pedals for a downsized pedalboard I'm planning. Have any of you owned/tried these? Any other recommendations? I have a CC2 in my large-ish board so I'm not entirely without octave experience, but I'm not necessarily looking to duplicate the CC2's Octafuzz. Thanks!

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I've had the Micro-POG on board for a few months now, and it goes to every gig. For me, it's one of the only 'special' effects that I really like. Used in conjunction with the wah, you can get some upper octave 'bloom' that sounds very natural for stuff like Santana's "Smooth". Used with a touch of upper and lower octave and, again, with the wah it gives a very Hendrix-y sound that I use on Watchtower. Aside from that, it is of course known for its organ sounds, which it pulls off beautifully. I've also used it for recording bass lines, and you'd be hard-pressed to know it wasn't a real bass guitar. It's very versatile, and very quiet. One of my favorites.

Here's a song I recorded that uses the Micro-POG for bass lines and for a couple of off-set leads with higher octaves mixed in. The 'b' part of the song uses the POG extensively for the melody.

Silent Friends.mp3

3. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Oops, so it's "Micro" and not "Mini" POG. Sorry. So the Micro-POG can do organ sounds? I thought that was a feature of the Maxi/Macro-POG. To me, that's a big selling point. What about reliability/durability?

4. Birddog

Birddog Member

Yes, a very convincing organ tone. With a little tremelo added, very B3 ish. Very good even without the trem, though. There are some good Youtube.com demos that focus on the organ tones.

It's like most of the EHX pedals, very tough metal housing, nice crisp footswitch. I do not baby my board, and step on that thing hard all the time. 100% reliable for me so far.

5. Teahead

Teahead Member

I posted this in response to a similar thread on HCFX...

I've had Octron 1 & 2, also had a big POG and currently own a Micro Pog, yeah, I'm a slut.

Biggest difference between Octron and wee Pog is the ability to handle chords. Octron's lower octave will glitch and freak out when you play more than one note, which can be used, but isn't musical to me. Pog on the other hand can handle any chords and doesn't freak out.

Some pros and cons...

Octron Pros

Cleanish octave up, or an excellent Octavia style Hendrix type octave up.
    Huge, fat & warm octave down.
    Internal tone and gain trim pots.
    Minimal (zero) latency.
    Excellent tracking.
    True Bypass, takes batteries, runs at reasonable mA levels and is capable of taking -9-30 odd volts from a psu.
    Can boost direct volume.
    Octaves sound great individually and blended.
    Designed and backed up by one of the best guys in the business.

Wee Pog Pros

Ability to handle any chords.
    You get the idea?
    Excellent tracking.
    Blend the octaves just right and it's Ray Manzarek in a box.

Octron Cons

Inability to handle chords.
    Sound familiar?

Wee Pog Cons

Noticeable latency on the octaves, almost feels like reverb or something.
    Buffered bypass, screws with dirt pedals that may follow it in the chain.
    Requires -9vdc and 200mA of juice. No batteries.
    Synthetic edge to the octave sounds, individually they aren't a patch on the Octron's.

6. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

Thanks for the very helpful information. Any concerns about tone-suck with the buffered bypass of the Micro POG? I would be using it after fuzz/OD/distortion (et. al., all true bypass) and before two buffered delays (DD-7 and probably an AR20DL)

As an owner of a CC2 and a TZF flanger, I'm a huge fan of FoxRox pedals, but after watching/hearing all the YouTube demos I could find I'm leaning toward the Micro POG (for use on a new, smaller board with individual fuzz and vibe, and a smaller flanger). I've found that I use the CC2's Octave rarely but I think the Micro POG would get used quite a bit. In fact, it doesn't seem fair to compare them, they're so different. Wish I could have both, but I'm definitely planning for a downsized board (under thirty inches) and I need to be more pedal-parsimonious.

But will I need/want a true-bypass switchbox for the Micro POG?

7. Birddog

Birddog Member

I haven't noticed any tone suck. I recently went through my board to see what WAS tone-sucking and it was my Boss GE-7 equalizer. The Micro POG really seemed to have no effect whatsoever.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

actually, i've found my micro-pog to be a little bit of a tone boost rather than tone sucker. first in line (i don't use any fuzz pedals), it added a bit of high end sparkle that took me a couple gigs to get used to. now i like the increased clarity and detail from all my following effects and from the amp.

an email response from new sensor assured me that the dry signal was analog all the way through, with only the 2 octaves being digital, so the change can be chalked up to its 2Mohm impedance input buffer, which is high enough to insure no loss at all from guitar pickups.

9. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Member

I just bought a Micro POG and should have it in a few days; thanks again for the input.

Of course I'll experiment, but do you have any recommendations on signal chain placement? What I would try first would be after compression/fuzz/OD/distortion and before vibe/chorus/flanger/tremolo/delay. Whatcha think?

10. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

I've found it goes best right at the front before my OD's.

11. Teahead

Teahead Member

I prefer the Wee Pog before dirt too and since I love to manipulate my guitar's controls to change the dirt tones this makes the Pog's buffer troublesome for me.

It's not a bad bypass by any means, but it still funks with the clean up of a fuzz or treble booster, the only dirt pedals I use.