Any experience with Free the Tone or Providence guitar cables?

SuperReverb2

Thinking of switching guitar cables. Been using Asterope pretty much since they came out, but a purchase of one of their newest studio cable has left me thinking I might try another brand. Find the new studio cable (was told by Asterope that this cable is the closest they make to my original Asterope cable) a little bright actually. My original Asterope cable is very clear, but also very well balanced and NOT bright. Surprised at their new offering.
Thinking of Free the Tone or Providence guitar cables for something different. Noticed in a recent Josh Smith Facebook video where he stated he was now using - trying Free the Tone guitar cables and was really digging them. Very natural, neutral, and balanced. I have also noticed that Michael Landau REALLY likes and uses the Providence E205 guitar cable. Again, Providence states the "mature" tone of the guitar coming through, etc., etc.

Curious here who's tried them.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
How did you determine what the "natural tone of the guitar" is?

I like Planet Waves American Stage. They're definitely not supernatural, and they've lasted for years, gigging them frequently.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
I've tried the Providence, they are definitely a nice offering. Contact Brian Spencer at Pedalshark.com, he is an authorized dealer of both companies.

SuperReverb2

How did you determine what the "natural tone of the guitar" is?

I like Planet Waves American Stage. They're definitely not supernatural, and they've lasted for years, gigging them frequently.
Huh?? I didn't determine anything. That was from the Providence web site. I quote:

"The Platinum Link series E205 model has been painstakingly designed to faithfully transmit the mature tone of fine electric guitars and basses as well as the most delicate nuances of picking attack."

I stand corrected. It's the mature tone of the guitar, NOT the natural tone.

Last edited:

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Huh?? I didn't determine anything. That was from the Providence web site. I quote:

"The Platinum Link series E205 model has been painstakingly designed to faithfully transmit the mature tone of fine electric guitars and basses as well as the most delicate nuances of picking attack."

I stand corrected. It's the mature tone of the guitar, NOT the natural tone.

Happy now?
In that case, I have absolutely no idea what that means, so I don't know.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Translating the marketing speak, "mature tone" means fairly high capasitance at 46.6pF per foot. Similar to Mogami 2524.

SuperReverb2

according to their respective websites:

Free the Tone: Capacitance (1kHz): 80(pF/m)

Providence: Capacitance (1kHz) : 140(pf/m)

:)

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Yup 140pF per meter, 46,6 per foot.
26.6pF per foot for the FTT.

Trending Topics