Any Experience with Gretsch 6120W-1957???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluesbreaker59, Feb 26, 2009.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Been thinking about getting a Gretsch for the last, oh, 5 years or so...

Very cool looking guitars, and I love hollow and semi-hollow body tone. Lately my band has been doing more and more rockabilly and honky tonk stuff. So I thought I'd get a guitar more representative of the genre, plus they look cool as hell.

What's the word on the Dynasonic pickups? Are they like Tele type output? P90? Strat? How bout that Lindy Fralin dog ear P90, how does it balance with the Dynasonic? I love Fralin P90's, so I know that tone. Must you use heavy strings to keep it in tune and intonating properly? I really like 10's... How is playability? Is the neck a "V" shape or more rounded? Country twang?

I'll be using it with Victoria amps, 35310 and Double Deluxe and usually a reverb tank OR analog delay.

Sorry for all the questions, unfortunately there is not a Gretsch dealer that carries anything above Electromatic around me.

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

My experience with dynasonics in a duo jet were that they were about 80% p-90, 25% mini-humbucker.

Nice and thick and chewy, but not quite as wooly or muddy. I liked 'em a lot. Couldn't get along with the thin neck on the duo jet, and found another guitar that was very much in that neighborhood sonically, so the duo jet moved-on.

But I remember the dynasonics fondly.

3. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Dynas = Strat.......No.
    Dynas = P-90........No.
    Dynas = Tele.........No, but sometimes close.

They are their own thing, and that's what makes them great. They don't have the pronounced mids & bite of a good P-90. They definitely sound nothing like a Strat. They have some Tele twang, but more of it and not as bright. A much fuller, rounder twang, if you will.

Is that description tonegeeky enough?

4. bluesbreaker59

Anybody else?

Thank you for the responses thus far, they're appreciated.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Dynasonics will give you something in between a Strat spank and a P90 growl. I have a pair in my White Falcon. The bridge is real twangy, the neck is real bluesy. Pretty awesome pickups, but the bridge lacks the output for my tastes, mostly because of the height difference I'd imagine. I'm gonna replace that one with a TV Jones Power'Tron and leave the Dyna in the neck. Oh, be careful raising the pole pieces, they're 1/4" slugs, so they get too close to the strings and you'll get a ton of pull and fret buzz.

Gretschs all seem to have a neck similar to the slim neck on Gibsons now. Not that super skinny toothpick neck, and not the 50's baseball bat, the one in between. My Les Pauls have the same profile as my Gretsch guitars.

Playability is like... well... a Gretsch. They don't play like Gibsons or Fenders, that's for sure, and it'll take some getting used to. Playing with a Bigsby trem and a floating bridge is its own thing. It's an awesome feeling to strap on that big, Honky Tonk monster though.

Obligatory family pic of my semi/hollows:

[​IMG]

6. bluesbreaker59

No one else at all???

WOW, this is the gear page, I figured a few of you would've owned multiples of these.

7. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

I had a 6120 with Dyna's and it was BEAUTIFUL, but I kept my Rev Horton Heat model of the two as I preferred the TV Classics and Filltertron sound. The Dyna's are pretty good pickups in their own right, but not exactly my thing. I prefer an actual P-90 or a Tele bridge myself, maybe just because I'm more used to knowing what I'm getting there.

They're a fine guitar and they have their own sound, just don't buy expecting them to fit right in with what you're used too as per Frankie's posting above.

Good luck!

8. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

I rolled my own '57, but I can tell you about the Fralin P90 I got. It's specs are identical to the ones Fralin supplied Gretsch. Responds well to volume changes - It's great at slightly rolled back volume, jazzy and warm. Crank the guitar and amp volumes and you have that classic rock grind. I also have Duncans in a Edwards LP Special, and I prefer the Fralin neck P90 to the Duncan.

My Fralin P90 is paired with a TV Jones Magnatron in a 5120. The Magnatron turned out to have the same output as a Dyna.

[​IMG]

9. bluesbreaker59

I know what the Lindy Fralin P90's sound like, as I have the Soapbars in my Epi '56 LP that I totally gutted, and I love them and there amazing fatness with clarity tone that they have. Totally, 100% my favorite P90 tone. But I was curious how well they "matched up" with the Dynasonic in the bridge. I wondered if the Fralin was too overpowering for the Dyna in the bridge and how well the middle position tone of the two blended together.

BTW, very cool work on that 5120 there, I thought about doing that but by the time I got all the upgrades done I figured I'd be really close to the price of a used 6120W-1957

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

It's not boutique, so 99% of TGP doesn't care! You haven't been here long, have you? :D

11. fieldhdj

fieldhdj Member

Thanks! I got a deal on the 5120, so I think I had about $800 in it total, counting the 5120, Magnatron, and Fralin. It really was more of a technical exercise, since I had not done much work on hollowbodies up to that point.

Fralin underwound the P90 by 18% for Gretsch. I sent in the Magnatron for him match it and it turned out it needed 18% underwind too. Great Service from Lindy, by the way.

I would like a 6120 one of these days, but I'm leaning towards a RHH.

12. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

The RHH comes with TV Classics and I can tell you from experience with TV Classic in my Tennessee Rose that they are awesome pickups! Sound great in every amp I've plugged them in to.

13. bluesbreaker59

Yep, kinda figured that must be the case... I've been round here for about 3.5 years and things never cease to amaze me.