Any experience with Ibanez Mandolins?

Phishy4

I've got a super cheap Rouge A style that my folks bought me as a christmas present years ago, and it sucks basically . Hard to play, just not fun. I really would like a fairly inexpensive F-Style mando, but I know to stay away from REALLY cheap ones like the Rouge. I played a Weber when I was out in Bozeman a few years ago and obviously loved it, but I'm not nearly good enough to justify something like that. I saw that Ibanez is making a mando now, and though it looked interesting as I've always been pleased with the construction of their guitars.

Here it is: http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-M522S-FStyle-Acoustic-Mandolin?sku=620440

Any thoughts?

Beagle1

Silver Supporting Member
I'd check out the Rover RM 75...very nice sounding and playing mandolin for the money, and won't break the bank. Give The Mandolin Store in AZ a try...very nice people and obviously very knowledgeable about mandolins. They have something in every price range.

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
Looks pretty nice. The fact that Ibanez steered away from the fancier aspects of many F-style mandolins (scroll headstock, excess binding) suggests that they focused on creating a good-sounding instrument.

However, after checking out the Rover that Beagle suggested, I have to aggree that if you can afford the extra $120, the Rover is worth it. The Rover is all carved, whereas the Ibanez is almost certainly bent; this makes a substantial difference in volume and sound quality. The Rover also comes with a case, but I don't think the Ibanez does.

First: you will get twice the mandolin for the $$$ if you buy used.

Second: you will get twice the mandolin for the $$$ if you skip the curli-cue strap holder.

My recommendation: a used Kentucky A-model with solid, carved top. Additionally, Weber has a wide-raging line of mandolins, all (I believe) with solid carved tops. Some dilligent searching may produce a used, lower-end Weber (Mandolin Cafe classifieds, craigslist, eBang, et cetera) at a decent price. I would skip Ibanez, MK, Monroe Morgan.

Trending Topics