Any experience with Lipe Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by markgrizz, Jul 18, 2008.

1. markgrizz

markgrizz Member

Good people, I'm interested in any comments from folks who have owned or played Lipe Guitars. I'm particularly keen on the twisted Soldato with 3 Amalfatino single coil PUPs. Looking for a guitar with nice edgy blues tones. I currently play, '78/'88 Gibson LP customs, Melancon, Fender Deluxe Plus Strat & early Brian Moore C55P.

2. move

move Member

i've played two of them. both were tele shaped. one was koa neck and body with humbuckers, the other one was a swiss army guitar, H/S/tele bridge and had a mango wood top. i don't remember the rest of the woods. i do remember that i played about twenty or so high end custom built guitars that day and the mango wood guitar was one of the best sounding of the group. i think it was the first time i've ever dug a guitar like that. usually you get one or two good sounding pu positions out of eight. that one had a bunch of great sounding positions.

3. markgrizz

markgrizz Member

ONLY one person???

4. Ron Thorn

Ron Thorn Gold Supporting Member

He installed a DiMarzio pickup in my Iceman, for free, when I was 13 years old (26 years ago) - I will never forget that act of kindness towards a punk kid.
    Now I consider him a friend and a very talented luthier - his guitars are top notch with great design. I've checked out numerous ones at his shop and at the NAMM show - excellent craftsmanship, fretwork that is superb, and very comfy neck carves.

Ron

5. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

He set up and changed a 6-way switch to a normal 3-way toggle on my first guitar back in 1978. It was a Ibanez L-6S copy. He did great work back then, so I can only imagine his work is even better now. He repaired two of my older brothers guitars that had snapped head stocks. (It was a shipping accident on his way back from touring Japan in the late 70's).

6. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

I played them at namm, spent 30-40 minutes at his booth, mikes a standup guy & his guitars were just stunning... played well, looked great, felt great, perfect stuff.

7. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I played his stuff at the last two namms also. He had a Mesa LSS in 07 and a Goodsell this year I think to demo through. Mike's a real good guy and funny. The woods he uses are knockout quality. Amazing looking guitars
    Top shelf builder and person.

8. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

He did a lot of building for Ibanez - IIRC he especially had a LOT to do with the Level 1 & 2 Artist guitars - so he must know his stuff! Also, I heard he's a really nice guy from someone whos judgement of character I respect.

-db

9. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

bump, i'm interested too.

10. Just1more

Just1more Member

I have something coming from Mike soon, I will post pictures. Mike is a great guy to work with.

11. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

what are the specs?

12. Just1more

Just1more Member

Lightweight ash body, strat style. Humbucker, single, single. Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Big neck. Callaham vintage hardware set, 6 screw vintage trem. Lollar blackface single coils, low wind Imperial humbucker. Jim Dugan is also working on it, he has space in the shop, mainly does acoustics for low production luthiers.
    Paint is going to be a metallic gold, with a custom cream & gold pickguard. I got the color scheme from a DPergo guitar I saw.

13. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

That sounds awesome, please post pics.. I'm getting a Twisted Soldato Lipe in the fall, I'm going with the equatorial mango or black Limba, we'll see about specs, definately a hummer in the bridge.

14. Just1more

Just1more Member

I will post some pics, should be 2-3 weeks until it's done.
    His figured woods are awesome, your guitar will come out great.
    By chance, my girlfriend works next door to his shop since they moved in a few years ago. She always said I should go by his shop, but the last few years I haven't really bought any new guitars. I moved a bunch of stuff, & made space for a new guitar, (sort of) really didn't need it, just wanted one. I have 4-5 guys in the area who have built guitars for me over the past 30 years, & never ran across Mike before.

15. kmoraine

kmoraine Member

I just bought a Lipe virtuoso (#18) off ebay. Without a doubt, it was the best purchase I've made in years. A guitar to last a lifetime. Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...66942&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2434wt_1167

I can now sell 5 or 6 of my other guitars - all excellent guitars, but nowhere near the quality of Lipe. (Suhr standard, Fender Custom, Bolin custom, ErnieBall MM Axis Sport, Carvin custom) This guitar was built by Mike Lipe himself - comes with a signed certificate! Solid one-piece equatorial mahogany body, quarter-sawn maple/rosewood neck, amalfitano pickups, flame maple top - SICK! For the price, it can't be beat. I consider myself lucky to be able to own one of these beauties. My Precious!!!

P.S. - One interesting feature of is that the guitar is strung slightly left of center, giving me less fretboard for the low E sting and more for the high E. At first I thought this strange, but after considering the builder and his expertise, figured there was a reason for this. It gives me more wiggle room up top when soloing. The high E never slips off the fretboard. Thoughtful and unique.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  16. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Wow, nice axe!

17. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Pics? link won't work...

18. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
  19. Miles Long

Miles Long Member

Yep! I love the headstock.. I'm getting one for sure.. The Twisted Soldato looks awesome too.

20. Route234

Route234 Member

Theres a very nice looking semi hollow on ebay right now. Looks like a very good deal as well.