Any experience with Monty Guitars?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by zekmoe, Mar 10, 2006.

1. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

http://www.brianmonty.com/

These are available at a store near me. They're the first small builder guitars I've ever seen, and the 335 model appeals to me. Does anyone have any experience with guitars from this builder?

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

He's been around for as long time. Made some Burst Replicas in the early 90's ? that were pretty good. Also made some D'Aquisto replicas that hold their value quite well, and had made archtops for people i know. He is known in East Coast archtop circles. I've not heard anything bad about him.

3. montyguitars

montyguitars Silver Supporting Member

I have played and still own several of his guitars and really like them. They have a killer sound. He makes them completely by hand, and every one of the guitars sounds a bit different. I have not have any problems with the guitars.

4. DucRyder

DucRyder Member

I have a Korina V made by Monty that is my no. 1 very thin finish on these!

5. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

That "335" model is called a "Blues Queen" and she definitely qualifies for the moniker. Unlike the 335, the Queen is fabricated from carved, bookmatched solid maple top and back (the 335 is formed plywood), so you can imagine how much better the Queen will sound. Beside that, it has all the stuff discriminating gearheads look for in a quality guitar, such as long neck tenon construction and traditional lacquer finishes... He also makes a carved flametop solid body style guitar, the Bluesmaster, as well as a Rockmaster solid body available in mahogany and Korina versions; all are built with the same painstaking attention to detail using traditional vintage techniques, and they all have tons o' tone just oozing out their pores.

I have the honour of owning a Monty prototype guitar that is basically in the genre of a '59 Les Paul, with some stylistic differences. It has become my number one instrument, relegating my beloved Gibson SG and Les Paul to second-place positions.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit hyperbolic, but the truth of the matter is that all this is an understatement... these guitars are more amazing than I could ever convey with mere words. Hearing, and playing, is believing.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

pricerange for blues queen????

7. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

If memory serves, I think the Blues Queen goes for around $3,750. For a handmade guitar of this quality, that's a steal.

8. Praline

Praline Member

Some of them crappy plywood boxes Gibson made sound pretty good to me!

9. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Hey, whoa... I never used the word "crappy"! Heh heh. I definitely agree that the Gibson ES-335 is a great instrument. Even the Epiphone Dot, with a pair of decent pickups in it, is a fine sounding and playing guitar. All I'm saying, is take that ES-335 experience, and then double it, and you get an idea of what the Blues Queen sounds like. Imagine, if you will, how much brighter, clearer, and more resonant a piece of solid carved select maple is going to be compared to a chunk of molded plywood...

10. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

I had one of his "Burst" replicas and I thought it was really great. I actually have owned it twice.
    Brian was at one of my gigs a couple of summers ago, and he sat in in. Really good player too. I played his own "burst" that he brought with him, and I tell you, if he would have sold to me, I would have run to the bank machine.

Pete

11. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Brighter , clearer, and more resonant isn't always a great thing if you're playing loud and dirty. An all solid wood carved guitar is just a different instrument than a laminate guitar, and has it +'s AND -'s. An experienced builder here thinks that the old 50's laminates were different than what they use today, and harder to emulate than the solid bodies. Another friend who plays in a Django type band tells me that tone sought after to reproduce that sound of the 30's Selmers,etc. is made by a laminate back and sides (albeit hand made), not solid woods.
    Horses for courses.

12. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Point taken. I guess that's why he calls it a Blues Queen... Probably not the instrument of choice for Kurt Cobain, RIP :AOK