Any experience with the Skreddy Animals Rover Fuzz??

TheSpricket

I had some credit from an online store and found myself really stuck with what to buy. I don't need any pedals at all but but everyone knows you can always get a new or different fuzz. So I was browsing all of their used fuzzes and saw the Animals Pedal Rover.

It looks like a silicon Tone Bender with a bias control. I don't have a TB style fuzz but I'm a huge fan of all of those old tones. Modern, inexpensive, pedalboard friendly Tone Bender clones are hard to come by so I took a shot and I'll probably get it in a few days.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this fella?

dumdums

I believe it is the same circuit as the Lunar Module, if I am not mistaken. I own the lunar module, and it's a really good fuzz pedal. The best silicone I own. If it is the same circuit as the lunar module, you can't go wrong with it. Very versatile pedal.

Grubgoat

I'm pretty sure its not a Lunar Module. I can't remember the name of the knob, (wool?), but turn it one way and it will smooth out like a fuzz face, other side gets real close to tonebender. There's another skreddy/animals thread where Marc talks about it more.
There's also the Super Ultimate Skreddy List, tons of info about everything he's put out.

davimre

The pedal is a pretty straight ahead tonebender clone that cleans up nicely. I found it to be a tad strident or sizzly and had a hard time dialing out these frequencies with my guitar's tone knob or the pedal's tone knob.

Skreddy makes great pedals, so YMMV.

Grubgoat

I believe it is the same circuit as the Lunar Module, if I am not mistaken. I own the lunar module, and it's a really good fuzz pedal. The best silicone I own. If it is the same circuit as the lunar module, you can't go wrong with it. Very versatile pedal.
I'm very curious why you believe its it the same circuit as the Lunar Module. Lunar is a classic for sure, you're not wrong in your suggestion. I just wonder if you know something I don't etc.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
The pedal is a pretty straight ahead tonebender clone that cleans up nicely. I found it to be a tad strident or sizzly and had a hard time dialing out these frequencies with my guitar's tone knob or the pedal's tone knob.

Skreddy makes great pedals, so YMMV.
my mileage has def varied:
no such problems here, with multiple amps & 3 or 4 different guitars w/differing pickups.

KoolThing

Silver Supporting Member
my mileage has def varied:
no such problems here, with multiple amps & 3 or 4 different guitars w/differing pickups.
@splatt I didn't know you were playing Mk IIs (in fact, I thought I remembered you saying specifically that you weren't into them). Are you using an Animals Rover or something else? (Bracing for "I have like 15 different ones" answer :cool:)

chromewaves

I got one last year after looking for something cheap to scratch a ToneBender itch I suddenly had. No comments about authenticity but it did the job, giving me a rawer, livelier kind of fuzz texture from my Big Muff variants but not as insane as my Fuzz Factory. It has interacted kind of funny with the buffer in my TC Polytune 3, which I don't quite understand (unnaturally short decay on certain notes on the guitar), but generally it works well anywhere. I believe it's the same circuit as Skreddy's own Rover, so the pedigree is good, and I quite like the Animals aesthetic (and price point). They have another Skreddy-design in the Diamond Peak Overdrive that also sounds interesting.

TheSpricket

I got one last year after looking for something cheap to scratch a ToneBender itch I suddenly had. No comments about authenticity but it did the job, giving me a rawer, livelier kind of fuzz texture from my Big Muff variants but not as insane as my Fuzz Factory. It has interacted kind of funny with the buffer in my TC Polytune 3, which I don't quite understand (unnaturally short decay on certain notes on the guitar), but generally it works well anywhere. I believe it's the same circuit as Skreddy's own Rover, so the pedigree is good, and I quite like the Animals aesthetic (and price point). They have another Skreddy-design in the Diamond Peak Overdrive that also sounds interesting.
Hey thanks man! I've currently got a Fuzz Factory and Rams Head muff on my board as well. I'm having the same tone bender itch, even though those two fuzzes can cover so much ground!

chromewaves

Hey thanks man! I've currently got a Fuzz Factory and Rams Head muff on my board as well. I'm having the same tone bender itch, even though those two fuzzes can cover so much ground!
yeah I find the Tone Bender is a real classic rock kinda sound - it's fun to play the couple Zep riffs I know - but for what I do (post-punk/shoegaze) the Big Muff feels more at home, though I've been told that a TBmk3 circuit may also be up my alley. I think the Rover is more of a silicon mk2 sound. in other words, it's fun, but I'm glad I didn't spend more than what I did on that sound.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
@splatt I didn't know you were playing Mk IIs (in fact, I thought I remembered you saying specifically that you weren't into them). Are you using an Animals Rover or something else? (Bracing for "I have like 15 different ones" answer :cool:)
lol. yes, i have a little family of Tonebenders — MkI’s, Supa’s, Mk1.5’s & MkIV’s — but the Skreddy Rover is the only one approaching MkII-isms.

fwiw, i made that mini-clip for you (& also for the dude, above, talking about how fizzy his Rover sounds/sounded).

Last edited:

imyourpassenger

Supporting Member
I had one and loved it. I really regret getting rid of it and would have no qualms buying one again. I am not a TB aficionado like splatt, but it did what I expected it to do.

Corvid

I believe the designer has stated here on TGP that the "Wool" control is a pre-fuzz bass control - turning it up makes the fuzz woolier, and down sharper.

Trending Topics