Any experience with this microphone?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by SGNick, Jul 7, 2008.

1. SGNick

SGNick Member

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I bought it about six months ago. It serves triple duty for me.

1. For mic'ing my cab at live gigs
    2. For mic'ing my amp to record
    3. For mic'ing my horrible vocals when I record

It is a GREAT microphone, lots of depth and nuance. I wouldn't go back to using anything cheaper. It compares favorably, if not better, to all of the Shures I've tried.

3. SGNick

SGNick Member

One good review is all I need. I'll go through the purchasing steps tomorrow

4. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I have used them a bunch and I don't like them. Thin and harsh sounding to my ears. An SM57 kicks it's butt all day long IMHO.

5. SGNick

SGNick Member

Interesting, most of the reviews tell the opposite...

6. foghorn99

foghorn99 Member

Sounds like your mind is already made up....just looking for people to agree with you??? :)

7. SGNick

SGNick Member

Nah nah nah! I love opposing opinions!

I'd like to hear how it sounds though, for guitars and vocals... anyone have clips?

8. snacker

snacker Member

9. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

I prefer and own the 906 as well. The 609 isn't bad it's just a bit bright for my tastes. Depends what you are looking for. Most of the tracks on my CD were the 906 and Royer. That's a great combination but the Royer is expensive.

10. stratocat63

stratocat63 Member

I did a show recently where they put a 609 on my amp, and I got a board tape. It wasn't bad. Side address made it convenient for them too, they just hung it over my cab.

11. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I find the sound of the 609's to be a bit nasal compared to a 57 and IMHO is not for every amp. That being said, the side address design and low cost makes it my go-to mic for live work on small to medium stages. For larger stages or stages with low equipment risk & better isolation, I'll reach for the Sennheiser MD421 or possibly a large diaphragm condenser.

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

It's great live because there's no stand to knock over. But a SM57 sounds better.

13. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

i find the 609 to be bright and thin

sm57 has that sound that we all expect to hear but can be a bit spikey on top.

audix i5 is really a great mic! can be a little bright but has more low end oomph than a 57.

favorite of the bunch is 421. lots of low end beef, while retaining nice highs.

sm7B is really nice too. but you need a pretty good pre with lots of gain becuase it is not a very loud mic. to me it seems like a very well balenced sm57.

14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I'd recommend spending the extra few dollars for the e906. I also find the 609 [silver] shrill sounding (which can be a good thing too if you need a 4kHz boost). I do like the black version though and it helps to have a higher input impedance w/ the black one.
    If you're looking for suggestions for a good guitar amp mic, the Heil PR-30 is the most used dynamic around here. I've tried every mic mentioned in this thread so far and the PR-30 w/ an A-Designs EM Silver preamp is what works for me.

Oh yeah, the 609 needs a pretty good amount of gain as well so that could be a concern for vocals.

15. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

However you like it with guitar amps (its intended use, I prefer a 57) if you hope to use it for vocals, make sure its very large freq. response peak works with your (or your singer's) voice.

If I could own just one mic to use for everything, it'd probably be a 57. Though I'd sure give the Heil a listen.

16. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

I tried to like this mic and I also liked the side address for a quick hang and go application. The 609 will do a decent job for you if you are partial to it's looks but it won't quite get you into SM57 territory in my experience. I think it will be a long time coming before anything replaces the SM57 as the de facto standard for practical purposes in recording guitar (short of spending enough to get into the ribbons).

There are many occassions when another dynamic like a 421, 441, RE20, etc., (my current favorite is using a Beta 58 with screen removed) will do a better job for a specific track but the 57 is usually the mic to start with before you expand your options with a palette of dynamics.

17. meterman

meterman Member

I recently got a e906 for home recording and I've gotten much better results that I have with my 57 which IMHO is very picky about placement. 906 is consistent and I like the sound better than the 57 which sounds very flat and lifeless to me in comparison. I'm experimenting with double tracking with the 906 and a large diaphram condenser about 6-8 feet away to get some room sound and so far I like it alot.

18. SGNick

SGNick Member

Thanks for all the replies and help guys, looks like I'm still searching every Which way!

19. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Member

I've got a 1970's vintage EV PL80 dynamic mic in great condition that I would like to use to record my ES 175 played through my Jazz Amp.

If anyone is familiar with this mic . . . will it record my Jazz Amp cabinet as well as an SM 57 could?

20. Ulysses

Ulysses Member

I believe the PL80 has a supercardiod pattern more similar to a Beta 58 but should be a good choice for your application.