• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any experience with tinted clear coat.

dave6

Recently purchased a guitar and the top is too light for my taste. My guitar guy suggested using a tinted clear . Pros , cons ?

Telfer

I had a tinted topcoat guitar a few years back. One day I tried to buff out a scratch and the color came off on the rag I was using, effectively destroying the top. There was nothing I could do about it. Learned the hard way...why a clearcoat is necessary.

Da Geezer

I used reranch tinted clear on two guitars I refinned, a strat (inca silver) and an LP (Pelham blue)
It took some of the "brand new" look off, and "greened"/aged both of those colors slightly....but the results can be controlled by limiting the number of tinted coats to get the results you like, then finish off with untinted clear.

I highly recommend the reranch products, and am happy with the results

Ron Kirn

Vendor
what kinda top?? if it's an acoustic, and has a Spruce top, exposure to sunlight will naturally darken it..

Ron Kirn

AdmiralB

I've seen Historic Gibsons that have yellow-tinted clearcoat, with several coats of 'clear' clear over that to prevent the issue mentioned above. A lot of the really recent stuff - especially the True Historic LP Customs - have taken it to an almost comical extreme.

I think your idea would work, assuming you use compatible coatings and put some clear over the finished product.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom