Any experience with Victoria 20112 in Jazz Trio?

Japhyfish

I played my ES-175 through a new Victoria 20112 in a shop recently. The tone was excellent & it got loud before breaking up. I didn’t play it with a group because I haven’t bought it yet. In past posts I have seen many comments stating that expecting any clean head room from this type of amp is unrealistic. I like the tone much more than the pro jr, which is a the amp of choice for a lot of guys playing.
I am interested in its ability in a jazz duo/trio format - small bar/restaurant, upright bass and small drum kit. I would like know a realistic appraisal based on a small jazz gig situation. I want to specify the type of gig because I know that if I was playing on heavy blues/rock stuff or with a wedding group & full horn section playing, then this amp would be pushed well into the break up zone.
Any gig experience advice out there that might shed a little light?

Brien

I have a 175 and a 20112, and you're right it is a great sound. The amp will have enough headroom for most of those types of gigs, but not all. There will be gigs where it's driving way too hard for that sound. Check out their tweed super (35210) for a similar tone but louder. A BF Deluxe NR would also be a great choice for some more headroom.

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
not live, but I've used my Benedetto Bambino into Vic 20112 for practicing and the tone was perfect (not used lightly). The only think I would do for live would be maybe swap out the 12AX7 in V1 for an AT or something lower gain. Otherwise, it is the tone IMHO.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
I play my Benedetto Benny through a Fender DRRI and the jazz tones are sweet, especially with the reverb. Also you would have more headroom.

illinimax

Platinum Supporting Member
I have a 175 and a 20112, and you're right it is a great sound. The amp will have enough headroom for most of those types of gigs, but not all. There will be gigs where it's driving way too hard for that sound. Check out their tweed super (35210) for a similar tone but louder. A BF Deluxe NR would also be a great choice for some more headroom.
Great sound for sure. Btw, Brien's 20112 is loaded with an Eminence Legend and really impressed me a few weeks ago at his place. Sounded way better than any other example of that amp I've heard which typically come loaded with the Jensen RI P12Q.

Aslan

Gold Supporting Member
If you really have your heart set on a 5E3 amp then you could replace the speaker with a Eminence Wizard (103dB), this will increase the headroom dramatically for a cleaner jazz sound.

Trending Topics