Any Expert Studies On This?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by yZe, Feb 3, 2008.

1. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Okay I have been practicing many possible lines which follow many different chord substitutions of a particular standard in as many different fingerings, octave registers, as possible

I have been doing this for over 6 months with the met at medium to really burning tempos

The problem is that when I go to play over the backing track, very few of those lines come out in comparison to the many that i practice

I am most definitely playing more diverse lines than I was 6 months ago, but this just seems like digging through the cement walls out of a prison with a spoon

2. willhutch

willhutch Member

I think your experience is totally and completely and utterly typical. It takes months and months for stuff to become available with no conscious thought.

It sound like you have a few new licks ready to serve. Just keep up the hard work. When you reflect back in another 6 months, you'll find more stuff has seeped into your playing.

I like your digging out of jail with a spoon analogy. That IS what it's like. The good news is that sometimes we look at the tunnel behind us and get to say "Gee, I've dug a long way".

It sound like a good time to remind myself of smething I've been saying for years: "One thing that I can actually play is better than 10 things I cannot actually play". That is to say, working a few things to mastery is better than being able to play a bunch of things in a half-assed way.

3. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

If you're playing against backing tracks, it may not even be "appropriate" to play some of those substitutions. If you can, find someone who's good at comping, i.e. someone who'll respond to what you're playing and adjust the harmony accordingly.

But definitely keep working on stuff. One piece of advice I got from Mick Goodrick was "If you keep practicing, in 10 years you'll be better than you are now."

4. yZe

yZe Senior Member

Tampa, on the Territory of Florida (D.C. Free Zone
    Thanks for the replies, guys - excellent reflections

I am wondering if there is a percentage number - kinda like "we only use 10% of our brain"

It feels like I reap only about 10% of what I practice, but I guess that is better than if I didnt practice

It's amazing how much work we have to do just to sound a little better

I love that Mick Goodrick quote - that pretty much says it all !!

5. StevenA

StevenA Member

Yze,

Whatever I can play is a result of trying to cop the same lines as my teacher. The lines are so fast and complicated that I can only come up with a diluted version, but it is mine and I own it. I have beeen copping licks all my life, and never use them because they belong to someone else. Sort of like telling some one elses jokes. Your knowledgeable enough to know that in order for these licks to come without thought they must be played not because you can but because you will! Just MTC.

Steven

6. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    I agree with this. IMO, a lot of substitutions don't automatically work- you need a way to get there. I think that's one of the reasons I can't play well with backing tracks- they don't respond to my playing and therefore prevent me from getting somewhere new.

Anyway, there are people that can just blow subs over anything, but I'm not one of them. It needs to make sense to me, otherwise I won't hear them- those lines won't occur to me. Of course I can try and force them, but they won't naturally pop into my head. IMO, I think it's a good thing, as one of my pet peeves is guys that use lots of subs when they don't necessarily fit.