Any extended range players here (7, 8, 9 stringers)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ivo, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Ivo

Ivo Member

If so, what are you playing and how are you liking it? :) I'm becoming more and more interested in extended range guitars since focusing on bass. Thinking of getting an Ibanez TAM-10 later this year, since I appreciate a great clean tone and it's one of the few 8 strings that comes with non-emg/passive pickups.

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

I've been playing 7 strings for a while. I really like Ibanez RGs, and having owned a BUNCH over the year's have settled on the RG1527M as my favorite Ibanez.

To scratch my LP itch, I have an old Epiphone Les Paul Classic that I ended up liking quite a bit. I'd like to buy the Gibson LP7 Classic, but I don't like the way it looks and I'm not sure how it could be much nicer than the Epiphone.

Strats are my true guitar love, but 7-string versions aren't easy to come by. Squier made a few a while back and they're actually some of my favorite guitars. I have an Agile and Aria Strat 7 too. The Agile is actually a nearly flawless guitar.

I'm really tempted to buy the Michael Kelly 8-string Tele, but I've played an 8-string for a bit and had no idea what to do with it...

3. Horizon

Horizon Member

I had a Schecter damien elite 8 with EMG 808. Because it's a neck through, it's easier for me to access higer frets. If you are looking for some brighter clean tones, 808x is one of the thing you should try, although it's still pretty aggressive. Javier Reyes from animal as leaders have some really decent clean and low gain tones with 808x in their album.

4. Sheherezadeh

Sheherezadeh Member

My 7-string is an Agile Interceptor with S-D Blackouts and a Floyd. My 8-string is also an Agile, but is multi-scale. I also keep my Ibanez IC-500 Iceman tuned in C standard, so it's a pseudo-baritone. I suspect at some point I'll finally order the Carvin DC747 I've been thinking about for well over a decade. I may also pick up a Universe eventually.

5. Ivo

Ivo Member

Thanks for chiming in guys. That Michael Kelly Tele is interesting. Got too many teles, though. haha

Funny, really wanted a Les Paul this year since I've never owned one. Then I realized I would be playing the same exact stuff on it that I do on my other 6-string electrics. Figured an 8-string extended scale would be a good creative tool and avenue for new ideas (at least for me).

6. haymez

haymez Member

I owned a TAM-10 for like 5 minutes - it was just OK. The pickups sound really nice in it, but the rest of the guitar was pretty average.

Also owned an Ibanez Prestige 752fx that I put Ionizer pickups in, but moved that one also. The build quality was better than the TAM, but it played/sounded very cold/sterile to me.

I just ordered a Carvin Vader 7-string and I'm *really* excited about it. It comes with new Kiesel passive pickups that I'm excited about. IF they don't cut it, I will try some BKP pickups in it. I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations because I'm not sure what I'll look at if it doesn't (Strandberg is too $$$ for me)

7. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

I have a Conklin Groove Tools 7-string that I bought at GC many years ago. I've since blocked the tremolo and replaced the pickups with Anderson pickups I got from Warmoth. The pickups are relatively low output and very clear. I like the way the guitar has turned out and I play it fairly often, though I can say that I don't truly take advantage of the additional range the additional sting offers as much as I could.
    Here's a link to the model from the Conklin site - mine is just like the red one. Nice quality guitar.

http://www.conklinguitars.com/in-stock_instruments_pre-owned_guitars.html

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. Buzzard Luck

Buzzard Luck Member

Let us know how that Kiesel Carvin Vader works out.
    I think I'm gonna have to get one too,. I had been thinking about a Schecter KM7, but the new Vader 7 does seem to be incredible.

After many years of playing regular ol' hard rock guitar, I took up the 7 string and it's been a lot of fun. It took a while to regain my normal coordination, but now when I play 6 string, it feels so puny and easy to play! Great for my macho blues licks! Recently I put a set of Dimarzio PAF 7 pickups in my Ibanez 1527, and I gotta say, I totally love the result. [I had other stuff like D-Activaters and whatnot in there before] They totally crunch and rock out with a lot of dynamics and character. Even though they clean up or show picking nuances very well, there is no lack of sustain for lead, or power for crunching, plus there is a lot more versatility. There is no problem sounding rich tonally with my band [I run through an Amptweaker Tightmetal Pro] Anyways, a sizable part of the future of the electric guitar is gonna be made with ERI.

9. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

The availability of the Kiesels and the plethora of used Strandbergs on the market has me tempted to take the plunge. Then again, I don't know if I'll ever make the leap from 6 to 7. I may just go the long scale 6 route.

10. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

I'd had a couple 7s in the past and always traded them out. I think it was more about the instruments themselves than the extended range. I just got a carvin dc700 and it's inspiring -just an awesome guitar that makes me want to pick it up.

11. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've been wanting a 7 or 8 stringer for quite a few years now (ok pretty much since the Ibby UV came out back in the early 90s) so I'll likely get one eventually. There are tons of really nice affordable ones out there now too so it's a great time to be looking for one. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Kiesel/Carvin eventually makes a multiscale Vader.

12. TylerE

TylerE Member

I own a Schecter Omen 8 I bought used for $200 on a whim. Great starter 8 string and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Less of an adjustment than I thought, although it's certainly not effortless.

That extended range sure is addicting though...was jamming along to live Dead earlier tonight....it was cool to be able to go from Jerry leads to deep in the Phil Zone on the same instrument.

13. kmanick

kmanick Member

I've been playing 7's since 2005 , I went through a lot of them and finally ordered a Bernie Rico Jr. 7 string Hesperian.
    Luckily I did this about a year before Bernie imploded. It's a gorgeous guitar that rivals any 6 I've ever played.
    Feels very much like a 7 string Jackson soloist, which is exactly what I wanted. I go though periods where I play nothing but my
    Rico and periods where I don't play it at all. I'm very fortunate to have a few really killer playing guitars and I like to pay attention to all of them.

14. S1Player

S1Player Member

Agile Texan 7 String Tele - upgraded with Stainless Super Jumbo Frets and 2 Hot rails.

15. s5c6ihLW50

s5c6ihLW50 Member

Agile 7 String LP-style 27". Not sure if I dig the strings that came with it 14-54.

16. skeeballcore

skeeballcore Member

I recently got an RG-2228 and I'm loving the thing. It's crazy though that it makes my 7 string RG-7621 feel like a toy

17. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I've had a few 7s over the years. Always love them! The extra low B is always fun for creating some new things!
    I sold my Jem 7V7 last year.

Just received my J Custom 8527SP-NT and it is amazing!

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  18. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk Member

I want a 7V7.

I'm a 7-stringer. Or rather, a 7-string player wannabe, as I'm a newb and I don't practice often enough, but I do scales on my 7 once in a while to keep from losing the muscle memory.

19. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Agile Intrepid Pro 927 9-string. Completely upgraded the tuners, electronics, and pickups (Bare Knuckles - more open and touch responsive than the Cepheus). Bass cut pot, tone pot with a Tone Styler Baritone switch (both can be bypassed), and a HCP Humbucker Control Pot to have access to each coil along with series/parallel. Goes from heavy to thin and light, and covers for bass pretty well.

20. metropolis_4

metropolis_4 Member

I love 7 strings. I think Ibanez does a great job accommodating for the extra string and making an instrument that feels cohesively designed, rather than just throwing an extra string on an existing model. A 7 string RG with 2 humbuckers and a 5-way switch is one of my favorite instruments.

Dusty Chalk likes this.