Any fans of strat bodies not made of alder/ash?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exodus, May 14, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

With regard to piecing guitars together-- anyone here fans of different types of woods for an otherwise traditional style strat? Like mahogony or a maple capped mahogony?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

I had a Carvin Bolt T made of a mahogany body and neck with the ebony fretboard. It was fantasic through a pedal for high gain tones but it was very lackluster as a clean played guitar. It wouldn't "ring" out and sounded more like the strings were always way too low which wasn't the case.

I'm totally sold on Ash/Maple S/T style guitars.

3. dave s

dave s Member

I owned on of the highly coveted, most sought after 'Wayne's World' MIM strats from the mid 90s. Poplar body painted vintage white, maple/rosewood neck, 60s vintage hardware and standard fender pickups. The stock pickups were swapped out for a set of Rio Grande Vintage Tallboys.

The guitar flat-out smoked! I sold it to a guitar buddy down in FL. To this day, it is still his #1 player!

During the purchase process, about 30 MIM strats were played, critiqued and sorted. This particular copy stayed in tune, was very well put together and sounded stellar acoustically. Probably the best low-dollar guitar I've ever owned!

Party on Garth. :BEER

4. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

I have a Heatley strat that has a mahogany back and Koa top. Killer!

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I'm pretty fond of this one, mahogany with Fralin P90's.
    Allan.
    [​IMG]

6. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Cool guitar, how about some details on her?

7. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have a maple bodied GMW that is a tone monster. It's the best sounding one I have.

-MArk

8. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I have two basswood bodied strats and they sound awesome.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Agree - basswood makes for a great Strat!

10. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

Yeah, too bad it's about as weak as balsa wood.

11. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I have a hallow Warmoth strat that i had put together back in 2000. It's a black korina back with a koa cap. The neck is mahogany with a pau ferro board. It's finished in natural with a all black hardware as well as plasticware. It looks pretty good, but it sounds even better. The pups are Fralin Vintage Hots with a bridge baseplate. I'll take some photo's if anyone is interested.

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

A friend of mine has a solid maple strat with a either a BBQ or JB in the bridge and a wilkinson. It's pretty heavy, but that guitar is sooo fat sounding, really punchy too. I wouldn't call it bright.

It makes me want to build one.

13. Clorenzo

Clorenzo Member

Koa and walnut:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Both have different pu's now (koa: PRS Dragon I Bass and Treble and DiMarzio Pro Track in the middle, walnut: DiMarzio ProTrack (N), Seymour JB Jr. (M and B)). The koa one was an attempt at replicating the tone of my PRS CE22 in a Strat body shape and it does get very close (it's maybe a touch darker). The walnut one used to be a plywood Squier and is my ginea pig guitar for fret work, wiring and finishing experiments, though it does have an interesting tone with a pronounced midrange resonance not unlike a semihollow.

14. snarkle

snarkle Member

One of the "guitars that got away" was a 1963 mahogany-bodied Strat that I let go a few years back. Of course it had been refinished and the original pickups had been replaced with a Bartolini-made Hi-A set, so it's hard to compare to a stock item...but it sounded amazing, with more mid-range bloom than any other Strat I've owned. Wish I'd never sold it.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with old-growth mahogany on anything. Conversely, I've never played a mahogany back/maple cap bolt-on that's done it for me; they always seem slighly inert relative to one- or two-piece bodies.

15. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I have a basswood body with a 3/4 quilt maple top, killer combo, warm and yet snappy/quacky.

16. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Yeah I've got a Kramer Baretta that I think is hard rock maple. It is very heavy. And it sounds great. I think it was made out of maple because it was to have a Kline graphic on it. It has a warm sound with lots of sustain. It enhances the Duncan JB pickup.

17. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Warren DiMartini's Charvel are all maple with a JB at the bridge. He gets a great sound with that combo.