1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any fans of the Jackson Randy Rhoads model?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by skhan007, Nov 28, 2010.

1. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

This is a guitar that has intrigued me since it was released in the early 80's. I remember when they came out and I checked them out at Veneman Music in Rockville, MD. It was the time of complete pointy guitar dominance (along with several BC Rich models that resembled Klingon battle weapons). Shortly after they came out, I started to see the pros use them, with Kirk Hammett being one of the first to play one as his main guitar. Several others followed suit.

Randy was a huge influence on me as a kid, but I've never owned a Jackson Rhoads. I know the current market is flooded with cheaper imports and Rhoads "signature" models from players I've never heard of. Not interested in those.

Who owns/owned/plays a Rhoads and likes it? I'm curious about tone, woods, etc. Let's see some pics, if you've got 'em!

JosephCurwen likes this.
  2. Devnor

Devnor Member

I've had this Rhoads since around 1987-88...serial in the RR600s. Has kind of a phat neck for a Jackson. Balances nicely & sounds great for doing metal/hard rock stuff. I gigged the crap out of this guitar in the 90s now the bridge is all corroded/frozen and the guitar needs a refret. I've fallen out of favor with Kahlers so the guitar doesnt get played...thought about maybe retopping, refin and new fixed bridge but I just don't know. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

3. skhan007

Yeah, I've heard that the earlier Rhoads guitars had more of a chunky neck, like a Les Paul, which is very cool, IMHO. Yours would be a prime candidate for a refin with a fixed bridge- that would be awesome. I especially like the 22-fret ones.

4. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

You are going to refin an 87 RR?

Have you lost control of your senses?

5. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

I had one. Not so comfortable to play sitting down. Sounded and played great though.

6. samdjr74

samdjr74 Supporting Member

Years ago one of my students had a lower level RR, except for the licensed floyd it wasn't half bad. Nice neck and balanced well.

7. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

I think they are WAY comfortable sitting down. You put the lower wing(shorter wing if a Rhoads) in between your legs and it puts the guitar up in a classical position(which is the best way for you anyway).

It makes it real easy to play.

8. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Love R - hate the guitar. It's friggin' dangerous - a weapon

9. skhan007

Yeah, I've played a couple of these years ago. They are indeed perfectly balanced when on a strap. Sitting down, you have do the classical position as described above. I've been looking at all the variations of the Rhoads model and love the ones that are slightly different than the stock RR1, like with reverse inlays or with exotic woods. Those really catch my interest. I love the descriptions I've heard of the JCF-01 models, as I'm told the neck feels like a rounded Les Paul. I know a couple of different guys who own them, and they sound like real winners in this category.

10. lp_junkie

lp_junkie Member

I have played them live a few times, mainly when I walk onstage with a friends band, I use their lead players gear and he is a Randy freak so it was all RR V's and white Marshall's.

They were nice guitars but neck heavy, and didn't balance well to me but I am a Gibson player so anything but a Les Paul feels weird to me.

11. scuba200ft

scuba200ft Member

The JCF-01 is an AMAZING example of Randy's guitar. Ditto on the Concord.

I have both sitting within feet of me....Nice beefy neck, based on an old Les Paul Custom, thanks to Randy's love of them. The RR-1, although nice, doesnt even come close.

These are like playing a caddilac.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
    grausch and guitarnut_1 like this.
  12. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I have one of these guys. It was love at first sight and I had to have it. Unfortunately I don't find it comfortable to play. In the classical position I need a strap on or else the neck drops. If you're standing up you have to sling it quite low or else the upper wing gets in the way of your right forearm (although, yes, keeping it at an angle will solve that). I'm not selling it though because just looking at the thing makes me feel good, and I hope I'll get used to it. It is very light, so that's a big plus, and it sounds pretty good -- I would say "good" rather than great, because I think for my taste I just need a bit more body to the guitar for a fatter tone.

13. skhan007

Wow, great Vinnie Vincent vibe on that one! I'm instantly transported back to 1985, when life was carefree and all about fun! Maybe I could track down a nice string-through RR and see if we bond.

14. V-Type

V-Type Member

You have the Gold standard RR,s there my friend.
    Mucho Congrats and :bow for your choice of Jacksons.
    I really like the $4000 limited Black and Gold RR's but Ill never touch nor see one sadly unless the super lottery hits. lol.
    Anyone have a Roswell Rhoads? Those are some wild rockers there and luckily one of the upper $$$$ Rhoads modelsl I have played(very nice player btw)

15. Tonelover

Tonelover Member

I have a kind of neat one, not the most practical for my particular situation but I love it. Sorry for the small picture. A custom shop job with blue and red squid flames on top of trans blue flamed maple, matching reverse headstock and chrome hardware. It doesn't get played very often, just when I feel like poking my eye out.

[​IMG]

16. Devnor

Devnor Member

That is freakin sweet.

Yes it's like a Les Paul Custom. Anyone know how it compares to the new Gibson RR Tribute guitar?

17. skhan007

I had a chance to buy one of the JCF-01's a couple of years back. Maybe another one will come my way at some point. I LOVE the reverse inlays and the vol/tone layout on this one!

I've read that the Les Paul RR guitar is simply a medium neck profile, typical of a mid-70's custom. I hear they are great players from those who own them.

18. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

Tell me about it. That was my second year in college. Good memories. :band :banana :beer

19. skhan007

Wow, that one has a lot going on with the wood, graphic, and reverse headstock! A serious weapon, indeed!

Yes, if only I had that hot tub time machine- 1985 would be great to do over again (and again). Here's a flashback to 1983- Jackson just put this one out and it's the same one that Vincent played on the '83 tour (the guitar was originally built for Randy Rhoads, but Vincent took possession of it after Randy passed).

[​IMG]

20. guitarboy

guitarboy Member

I have this guitar (19 out of 30)! It's is waaaay cool! It is different to play than my other axes, the fretboard being super wide for my hand size, but, once I play with it for a bit, I'm okay! Sounds great through my Friedman!!