• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any fellow Two Notes Studio or Live users?

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
So I was on a bit of a shopping spree. Grabbed the Torpedo Studio on 36 months 0% financing through Sweetwater.

Loving it so far but looking for input on getting righteous tones from fellow Two Notes users.

I am currently running via SPDIF into my Saffire Pro24. Remote can get a little buggy and so far actually preferring to use the Studios onboard controls.

Are most of you fine folks using 3rd party IR's or the Two Notes ones?

djd100

I prefer the Two Notes cabs for ease of use reasons after being a pro engineer with a real mic locker for a large number of years, i.e. I know the mics I like. I still prefer them through a high quality analog mic/line preamp vs using digital I/O. The Two Notes system is as close as you can get to the process of mic'ing real cabs.

For me I love a lot of the capture masters cabs, and use those mostly (you can audition them via Torpedo Remote, which works fine for me)?

I have Redwirez and OwnHammer IR's as well for those few cabs I can't find in TN format.

Advice, don't forget to use a quality room sim(s) along with the cab sim(s) to provide room tone!

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the Two Notes cabs for ease of use reasons after being a pro engineer with a real mic locker for a large number of years, i.e. I know the mics I like. I still prefer them through a high quality analog mic/line preamp vs using digital I/O. The Two Notes system is as close as you can get to the process of mic'ing real cabs.

For me I love a lot of the capture masters cabs, and use those mostly (you can audition them via Torpedo Remote, which works fine for me)?

I have Redwirez and OwnHammer IR's as well for those few cabs I can't find in TN format.

Advice, don't forget to use a quality room sim(s) along with the cab sim(s) to provide room tone!
Nice! I am actually preferring the Two Notes cabs as well. I've added the Friedman 25/30, Brownyback, USA PT and Uber 30/75. I additionally got a bunch of extras that Two Notes was giving away as promo for registering new hardware between Dec and Jan.

Do you find yourself mixing cabs in the A/B slots with different mics? Is there any weird phasing issues that happens when doing that?

The only mic pre I have is a cheapo ART TPS-II which SUPPOSEDLY hits well outside its price point but I haven't hooked it up yet. I suppose I could run the Analog Outs to the 2 ins on my Saffire.

By room sims, do you mean the ones in the Studio?

Thanks. Sorry for the 100 questions. I'm very new to this.

ToneChaser1

New Studio user here for about three months. Using it with my Mesa Boogie Mark V25 and it sounds amazing. I'm only using the Two Notes cabs so far as they are very good. Make sure to try the BoGreen and Brit 1935 cabs and also watch Steve Stevens demo on YT for his tips and tricks.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
New Studio user here for about three months. Using it with my Mesa Boogie Mark V25 and it sounds amazing. I'm only using the Two Notes cabs so far as they are very good. Make sure to try the BoGreen and Brit 1935 cabs and also watch Steve Stevens demo on YT for his tips and tricks.
Any clips so far? Are you running SPDIF or Analog outs of recording?

ToneChaser1

Any clips so far? Are you running SPDIF or Analog outs of recording?
Haven't used it for recording yet. Currently running it through my mixer and into my studio monitors via the balanced outputs for low volume high saturated gain and endless sustain goodness. Analog pedal board in front and delay and reverb in the MKV25's effects loop.

djd100

No phase problems with the Two Notes cabs being mixed. IR's depend on the IR's, though IME OwnHammer and Redwirez are fine for mixing.

Try all of your I/O options. I tend to use Neve and UA tube preamps the most with guitar amps. If using cheaper gear I'd venture that the Digital I/O might be best?

Yes, in the Studio or a plugin with your DAW. Most cab sims are only about 20ms long, which is enough to get the ca/speak/mic freq response, but purposely cuts off the the room tone so you may adjust it how you please with a room sim etc. If the room tone is baked into the IR then your number of needed IR's goes up exponentially, as does the manufacturer's production cost (different room micings etc).

Have fun, and feel free to ask questions as that's how we all learn!

Nice! I am actually preferring the Two Notes cabs as well. I've added the Friedman 25/30, Brownyback, USA PT and Uber 30/75. I additionally got a bunch of extras that Two Notes was giving away as promo for registering new hardware between Dec and Jan.

Do you find yourself mixing cabs in the A/B slots with different mics? Is there any weird phasing issues that happens when doing that?

The only mic pre I have is a cheapo ART TPS-II which SUPPOSEDLY hits well outside its price point but I haven't hooked it up yet. I suppose I could run the Analog Outs to the 2 ins on my Saffire.

By room sims, do you mean the ones in the Studio?

Thanks. Sorry for the 100 questions. I'm very new to this.

JerEvil

Silver Supporting Member
No phase problems with the Two Notes cabs being mixed. IR's depend on the IR's, though IME OwnHammer and Redwirez are fine for mixing.

Try all of your I/O options. I tend to use Neve and UA tube preamps the most with guitar amps. If using cheaper gear I'd venture that the Digital I/O might be best?

Yes, in the Studio or a plugin with your DAW. Most cab sims are only about 20ms long, which is enough to get the ca/speak/mic freq response, but purposely cuts off the the room tone so you may adjust it how you please with a room sim etc. If the room tone is baked into the IR then your number of needed IR's goes up exponentially, as does the manufacturer's production cost (different room micings etc).

Have fun, and feel free to ask questions as that's how we all learn!
Awesome. Thanks. One thing recommended to me was to record a stereo track with 2 IR's panned L/R, then sub to mono and pan from there. Going to give that a try.

Looking at the Warm Audio ToneBeast rack. I assume I would have to run stereo out into a mixer and then summed to mono for that? Perhaps I will just start with the pre's on my Saffire.

pattste

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Torpedo Live that I use for recording and to practice through headphones. I bought the Sig TR65 (Two-Rock 2x12) and Colorado (Bludotone 1x12) cabs. I use the analog out.

Papajuice

Gold Supporting Member
So bringing this back. i have a question about the studio. I have been using a Helix fir the last 4 years and want to go back to a Zinky built Tone-Master. My question is live I have been sending a signal out the AES on the Helix for the last two years to our digital board and no problem playing live. I know the Studio has AES out just wondering if anyone has used this in a live situation.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom