Any Fender Prosonic users out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cheebatone, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

I have the opportunity to get my hands on one of these, but it's a day's drive away, so I was wondering if anyone around here uses one and if they'd be prepared to share their thoughts on it ...before I hit the road.

I like Zinky's initial idea behind the amp ("If Boogies are just hot-rodded Fenders, why don't we just build one for ourselves?"), but all the clips I've heard have been all-out pre-amp distortion warfare. I've yet to hear a single one that has any degree of subtlety at all - and I would have thought that this amp has that in spades.

All reviews/overviews greatfully received.

Cheers!

Charly

2. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

Charly, do a search, there are threads and soundclips on it and the Supersonic.

3. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

If anything I think the amp excels as cleans and edge tones. It was the gain tones that led me to let the amp go. I felt the cleans were the best buttery fendery tones I've heard, until I bought an 07 Bruno UG30.

At the time I was not much into pedals, feeling all gain tones should be provided by the tube amp.

I think a winning way to go would be to set the amp for good clean and edge tones, and goose it with a pedal for tones that are heavier.

The Prosonic is one of those rare amps whereby you can max the clean volume and control the amp volume using the EQ's....to get a very cool bluesy power tube breakup.

The amp does run on the hot side. It does have some documented quirks (foot switch popping... a corrective mod does exist)....there is another thread here today where someone documented those. There is also some internet folklore about the earlier prosonic's being better than later prosonics....apparently there is a branding logo on the front of that amp that gives that away. I did not have a "relished" prosonic and as I said, it is the best clean fender example in my opinion.

Scott Lerner has one as well, and for what it's worth he had Andy Fuch's mod it years ago, which completely de-fenderizes the prosonic,...so you can see how much he relished his prosonic!

Good luck in your quest.

4. daveS

daveS lefty dude on hiatus Gold Supporting Member

Between the San Andreas and Calaveras Faults
    I've got one in Seafoam Green. It's a pretty cool amp and I used it pretty exclusively for a while....I refer to it as my bipolar amp. Nice cleans on one channel and ear splitting gain on the other. I don't use the high gain channel as much unless I want to pretend to be a metalhead....it's just totally over the top. In fact, mine was even slightly modified to tone down the gain a bit. That being said, the cool thing about the gain channel is that it is cascaded with two knobs, gain 1 & gain 2....you can turn them down almost all the way and even vary each one to get some dirt on the channel instead of cut-you-head-off searing gain. You can use the two gain knobs to sort of scoop the tone or darken it depending on the mix of them. There is just more gain in this amp than you could ever really need...it's almost humorous to hear it. Now, the clean channel just sounds like money....to me its got a wonderful Fender 6L6 BF-ish quality to it. It's a bit darker and not super glassy like many Fenders I've played. You can get an edge on it too if you turn it up. Push it with a pedal and it sound sweet :dude. As mentioned, it does have the notorius channel switching "pop" as well as a bit of volume change when switching channels. Mine tends to get pretty hot too (reminiscent of an old VoxAC30 I used to have). A cool feature of the amp is the triple rectification setting (switchable via a knob on the back)......30W Class A/Tube,50W Class AB/Tube,60W Class AB/Solid State. This control adds a bit more flexibility tonaly and also for mixing it with different cabs and speakers. The head version like I have has a series effects loop (never used it) and the combo has reverb....I wish the head had reverb instead of FX loop. At the end of the day, it's a Fender and you really can't go wrong with it for the street price they fetch.

Cheers
    -Dave

[​IMG]

5. DanD

DanD Member

Cheebatone,

I have the green combo also. I think it's an early 90's amp.
    No Fender badge on the grill.

A thread in the technical forum Prosonics Question... helped me out.
    Three good ideas. Details in that thread.

Mods I did to mine...
    1. Removed a resistor that runs in series with the bass control the control has more sweep, less sensitive, better tweaking.
    2. Removed a tone sucking resistor & cap arrangement, and a 5pf cap on v1.
    The clean channel now has more sparkle and chime.
    3. Changed the power tube cathode bias resistor from a 220ohm to a 250ohm, and the bypass cap from 100mfd to 25mfd. The amp runs a bit cooler in rectifier position 1. I considering going to a 330ohm.

Tubes...
    Did alot of swapping, an RCA Commander 5751 in v1, an OS 12ay7 in v2, an NEC5751 in v3, a telefunken <> 12at7 in v4, a sovtek 12ax7B in v5, and a 60's RCA OS 12ax7a in v6.
    Power tubes are TungSol reissue 5881's bias set to taste. I run mine a hot to balance power tube fixed bias setting 2 to the cathode bias setting 1.
    Rectifier tube is a Ruby 5ar4

Amp controls...
    The overdrive channel acts like a cascading arrangement. Very little amount of gain on Gain 1 and more on gain two gives it darker tone and more sustain.
    More gain on one, and less on two and it brings out more crunch.
    No gain on two and gain one gets typical pre-amp distortion.
    Turn off the tone controls and bring them up gradually if you want less pre-amp and more power amp distortion.
    Adjust the master volume for channel two overall volume.

Use various pedals to dial in the response and tone of the amp.

I'm like the Prosonic and the skin is quite unique.

Good luck,

DanD

6. azimuth

azimuth Member

I absolutely love my Prosonic, and I pretty much got it for the gain channel. I think the over-the-top tones are just PERFECT, real heavy on the gain yet loose feeling like blowin-up Tweeds are, yet about 500x more gain. It's funny cause it looks like a Bassman or something... people don't expect it to sound like a Dual Rec but WARM. I've used the clean channel a bit but, as I have the head into a closed 4x12, it's an uphill battle. I'm sure the clean tone on the combo is great, especially with the reverb.

Additionally it's loud as ****.

7. Ascension

Ascension Member

Yep RABID Prosonic fan here!! Sold my Carvins, Boogie and Marshall after buying the first one. I stupedly traded my Prosonic head off for a Marshall TSL head (which had less gain less tone and weaker clean ect )and just was NOT in the same tonal class. I still own a combo it's got a full set of NOS Mullards in it is a TONE MONSTER and it will NEVER be sold!!
    Here are a few clips
    Solo over a jam track with a Washburn USA MG 102 and a Duncan Custom with a Alnico 8 mag swap. The only effect was the wah the gain is all amp.
    http://www.box.net/shared/bnc3ghqvrr
    Jamm track Stormy Monday Prosonic Washburn LS 93 Duncan SSL-1's and a SSL-3 hot for Strat in the bridge.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=261302&songID=5141871
    Home studio track all Prosonic
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=261302&songID=5969163
    Another home studio track all Prsonic and the LS 93
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=261302&songID=5141858
    Outdoor live recording using the Prosonic combo on my late 80's fender 2/12 cab and a Washburn USA MG 100 again the only effect was the wah
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=439224&songID=5312459
    I personally would rather play live through a Prosonic than the SLO 100 Soldano I had.

8. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

I loved my Prosonic. Especially the clean channel....loverly breakup but LOUD to get it there. The dirt channel sounds good...not great but was very usable, had great sustain at gig volumes and was great for lead playing....chords were a muffled in terms of string to string definition.

That amp served me well for years after ditching my MKIV. I'd actually like to get another for a good backup to my Aiken Sabre.

I was not into pedals all that much back then but something tells me the clean channel of the Prosonic would be be a great pedal platform.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Good info posted above.

The way to understand Gain 1 and Gain 2 is that Gain 1 increases distortion and Gain 2 is like a compressor.

I have gotten some great subtle blues tones by just using the smallest amount of Gain 1 and using Gain 2 to taste (11 to 1 o'clock).

The amp is extremely versatile once you know its idiosyncrasies. I wish the combo had more bottom end but this can be addressed by using a Fulltone Fat Boost or a Rivera Sub 1. With the Sub 1 it sounds like a Blackface half-stack with a Dual Rectifier gain channel. With or without the sub the combo is quite loud and more than enough to gig with.

If the price is right I'd jump on it.

stratzrus

10. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i gigged with one for a while.

channel 1 on class a sounds great! i did not care for the cascading gain of channel 2. but i could vintage low gain sound on channel 2 BUT i had to put gain 1 on like 2 and gain 2 on like ZERO. its like a mesa dual recto gain tone.

channel one is worth the price of admission, especially if you are just gonna put a pedal board in front of it anyways

11. ando

ando Supporting Member

i had the combo with reverb & but sold it because there was something wrong in the reverb design that made it noisy....

12. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

A common complaint, but there is a Fender Tech Note on the fix.

13. bluestarbass

bluestarbass Member

I love mine so far, just got it for xmas. Its a suprisingly complicated amp. Its about the only amp ive heard that had great cleans and great distortion. I play hard rock and stoner rock and this thing nails it, but the cosmetics wouldnt make you think so.

14. mohowski

mohowski Member

Just snagged a Prosonic combo on Ebay last week. I have fallen in love. It has its quirks (reverb hum, footswitch pop) but the range of tones is incredible. I love the classic rock/early thrash crunch i can get out of it. The tubes that came in it are close to shot i think, so i'm about to retube it, and maybe buy a hotplate so i don't piss my neighbors off any more.

I'm a DIY type and love tweaking, and am interested in the mods people are doing to their PSs, but I want to spend some time with it stock after a retube and rebias.

15. Ascension

Ascension Member

The Reverb hum and switching Pop FIXES are both covered in service bulletins in the factory Fender service manuals. I picked one up off ebay for $20 they are good to have.
    There are some tricks on these tube wise they seem to love the JJ GZ34 rectifiers for some reason and the JJ 6L6's seem to handle the heat of the class A mode well. Also running a set of NOS Mullard CV 4024 12AT7's in V1-3 REALLY opens these amps up!! I got mine from http://www.dougstubes.com/ they are a little expensive at $22 a pop but they sound so good in these amps it's WELL worth it!!
    I had a head have a combo and swear by these amps.
    LOVE THE FENDER PROSONIC it's the CLARK KENT of the amp world!!

16. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

the only thing a Prosonic needs to sound like heaven is to be very well biased, the tubes that were originally intended for it and a good pair of hands playing it.

It is one great little monster and i truly regret having sold it, i tried to get it back several times form the guy i sold it to, but i am going to have him send to sleep with the fishes in my next trip to the caribbean , after i make him an offer he can't refuse, hehehehhehe

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I don't know if this is true , but mine was one of the first 250 made and i truly love the sound it had, heard other Prosonics and always thought mine sounded better

The difference is that one says Professional tube amplifier and the other one says fender custom shop if i recall correctly.

I think the first ones said Professional Tube Amplifiers, but i can't recall what mine said.

The combo has effects loop and reverb

18. Ascension

Ascension Member

It's backwards man the very first ones in 96 and 97 were the ones with Fender Custom Shop and the later mid 97-2002 ones had Profesional Tube Amplifier. Both my old head and current combo were a late edition. All have Fender Custom Shop silk screened on the internal circuit boards.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Cheebatone

Cheebatone Member

Thanks for your... er... feedback guys. :D Looks like I'm going to have to pursue this one a little further...

Cheers!
    :BEER

20. Ascension

Ascension Member

Please do we can just add you to the cult of the PROSONIC :BEER