• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any frequency analyzers, etc, worth using when setting up patches?

MikeNiteRail

I have a POD HD500 and was wondering if there are any benefits to running recordings through frequency analysis to compare to other rigs I am more familiar with...I guess I am a tad overwhelmed by the amp tweaking options (master, bias, x-bias).

I am just wondering if, besides dialing in by ear, if there is anything else I can be looking at. This is also true when trying to lock in a tone from an album or something. Thanks!

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
That is a good question.

I just use my ears, but that's not a bad idea.

t3oi

Interesting idea. Each note being played resonates at a certain frequency, so whether the "tone" is Steve Vai or Robben Ford, the center frequency of the note would not change. Tone would likely fall into the other frequencies' amplitudes that are present when a note is played.

s0c9

I guess I would not see the benefit in using something like an FFT plot with a preset. It would only provide the curve for that preset, and not give you any idea of how it would sit in a mix - unless you had the original to compare against....

MikeNiteRail

In my example, I have a tweed Champ I'd like to try and dial in at least generally. Then, I'd like to manipulate that base into other sounds.

shasha

I would think that running a comparison between your track and the original with something like Ozone would give you an idea. I've only seen someone do it for creating a matched IR, but it does give you a visual representation of the EQ curve which may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl684tupzpk

meambobbo

I used Voxengo Span to try to make patches for the Pod HD where I tried to match EQ the Pod's 4x12 cabinets to sound like the (as close as I could get) equivalent RedWirez Ir's.

To be honest, it helped a little, but I still think your ears will tell you more pertinent information than your eyes. I would simply use the frequency analysis when you're stumped.

barhrecords

I use ProTools 10 and I like BlueCatAudio's FreqAnalyst Multi plug,

It can show multiple plots overlayed on a single display and show just the differences too.

I haven't used it to create presets though. I use it more for mixing. More specifically to avoid frequency masking.

Richard

mattball826

too much work onnlt to find its different on every pa or power speaker frfr you use. just make patches to gear you use live. the rest while interesting is more work with minimal results ymmv

Trending Topics

Top Bottom