Any Garnet amp fans around here?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 94prs22, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 94prs22

94prs22 Gold Supporting Member

Seems a lot of folks do a lot of talking about boutique amp brand this, boutique amp brand that and several other folks talk a fair bit about vintage bargain this and vintage bargain that but how is it that the little jewels from British Columbia never get mentioned? Do folks think they suck or have most folks just never been fortunate to encounter one?
    Just wondering,
    Brandon

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Pretty rare out our way despite BTO being one of the favorite vintage bands ;). I've seen exactly two Garnets over the years, a Champ style one that was OK, and a Bass Combo that was a pretty rocking amp in the Pro Reverb kind of vein.

3. 94prs22

Good point.
    I've checked the online inventories at Dave's and Willie's over the last 6-7 years pretty consistently and I don't think I've ever seen one at either store either now that I think about it.
    Brandon

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

There available up here if you look.

5. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I borrowed one a year ago that smoked! I want one. It was a 50 Watt Head...I think it was the BTO head.

6. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

The other guitarist in my band uses one - 60 HUGE watts and it's very, very nice... He actually rescued it outta someone's barn and restored it, and it's been the cornerstone of his tone ever since. He's also got an old Garnet 4x12" cab that's about 5 feet high and must weigh in at 110 lbs!! We don't haul that around much if we can help it!! ;)

7. 94prs22

Clothwiring, that 50 watt head was likely a Pro not a BTO. The BTO is a 4xEL34 amp and the Pro is a 2XEL34. Otherwise the same circuit. I have a Pro and it does in fact smoke. Volume (pull bright), bass (pull boost), and treble (pull cut) controls, with the Stinger fuzz circuit and tremolo all wired PTP with terminal strips and huge transformers. If the amp you tried had reverb it was likely a Sessionman. I got my Pro for $200 which just seems criminal.
    Brandon

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

I though Garnet were Winnipeg based amps...am I wrong or just crazy?

9. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Pro it is! :)

10. 94prs22

Doh! I'm an idiot and stand corrected. Garnet amps are based in Winnipeg which I thought was in British Columbia. A consultation with the map confirms that Winnipeg is in Manitoba.
    Brandon

11. BTO

BTO Member

Well, I had a BTO up until a few months ago (hence the screen name). I'm lucky enough to live in Winnipeg, so Gar Gillies does all the work on my amps (84 years old and still kickin'!!).

The BTO is one of the best amps you could ever want if you like Plexi type tones. That said it was just too much amp for my needs. It went to a good new home though, with somebody who has the opportunity to open it up and let it do it's thing properly.

12. 94prs22

When I was looking for a Pro to buy I encountered a couple of BTOs and almost pulled the trigger on one about a week before the Pro that I ended up buying crossed my path. Ultimately I didn't go for one of the BTOs because I wasn't sure that I would really be able to open it up. Even the Pro is scary loud.
    Brandon

13. tdu

tdu Member

A store in a town near me has a few of them. And a large collection of different Traynors. The store isn't much bigger than my kitchen, but the guy has some great amps packed into it. I think both Garnet and Traynor amps are fantastic.

My only problem with both brands is they are made almost too well in some regards. Both made heavy, oversized cabs. It's great for tone, but when you have a 25 watt amp (my YGM-3) that weighs almost 50 lbs, and the dimensions are huge it's a bit of a pain.

14. 94prs22

My Pro (and all Pros and BTOs I think) is a head. I use it with a Swanson 1x12 cab with a ceramic weber michigan. It's makes the weight (which is still substantial for a head) more tolerable. I agree that the Traynor Guitar Mates don't have a very good power/weight ratio.
    Brandon

15. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Where do you live, exactly?

16. tdu

tdu Member

I live about 45 minutes North of Toronto. The store is in Caledon. I haven't been in there in awhile, but the guy seems to collect and sell Garnett and Traynor so I am sure he's always got something.

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

If you are American, I can forgive you. If you're Canadian, well, a beating with a broken hockey stick would be too easy on you. :rolleyes: :D

Anyway. I've seen a couple around town. A Garnet Li'l Rock had me drooling last year. Here's a site by a Garnet enthusiast:

http://www.fenderbronco.com/id11.html

18. sustain440

sustain440 Member

I've got a Rebel Head Model L90 and matching 1x12 cab with horn. I think it's from the late 60's. I paid $100 for it when I got it but now I see they are sought after. I need to give it a tune up, new tubes and get her going.
    I think it was sick when I first got it so I have never really heard what it is capable of sounding. I don't even know if it is 30,50,60 watts?
    All I know is I am glad I kept it because the amp looks mean!!!:cool:

19. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah I dig Garnets. I have a Session Man, a Lil' Rock, and a couple Herzogs.

20. Eye Banez

Eye Banez Member

HI all,

I've got a couple of Garnet products that I've used over the years. I played lead through a Garnet " Stencil " amp ( chassis is all Garnet, sold to others and re-logoed, mine is a Mann) for 5 years with a Boss ME-6 pedal, never let me down. 50 watts 2 x 6L6 GT's and either a twin 12 cabinet or my single MusicMan 12". Plenty loud, used to break up around 4 for a nice bluesy dirt sound. I figure built around 1983.

I picked up a Garnet Revolution 2, 50 watt combo, reverb, tremelo. This came with a Garnet / Horner(?) slave cabinet 4 x 8". This unit was hand wired ( as was the other ) again 6L6 GT and Mesa 12 AX7's. I had it serviced and a Celestion 80 watt speaker put in as the original was in bad shape. Also can be very loud. I'm talking to Eurotubes about some replacements. This one dates at 1975. They show up once in awhile. but not that often and usually in rough shape.

Good web site to view, just search Garnet amps.

Kim

'65 Traynor Bassmate 1 x 15
    '75 Garnet Revolution 2, 1 x 12
    '83 Mann 2 x 12 cab and head
    '01 Ampeg Superjet