• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

(Any Genre or Era ) THE finest exponents of vocal harmonies you can think of ?

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Anything by POCO with Richie Furay. They didn't suck after he left either.
Poco is my favorite band ever. Great vocal harmonies (Furay with Meisner/Schmidt especially), and when they wanted to, they had some good guitar harmonies.

Their "mother" band, Buffalo Springfield, wasn't too bad either. Especially given it spawned both Poco and CSN/CSNY. Plus, it was interesting to think of how Poco was the training ground for bass players for the Eagles.

Come to think of it, every band Furay, Meisner, or Schmidt was in had pretty good vocal harmonies: Buffalo Springfield, Poco, Eagles, and the "supergroup" Souther-Hillman-Furay (remember them)?

PS: In the vein of older bands, I spent some time yesterday listening to Boenzee Cryque (yet another Poco feeder band - Rusty Young and George Grantham). Anybody else remember them?

gmann

Poco is my favorite band ever. Great vocal harmonies (Furay with Meisner/Schmidt especially), and when they wanted to, they had some good guitar harmonies.

Their "mother" band, Buffalo Springfield, wasn't too bad either. Especially given it spawned both Poco and CSN/CSNY. Plus, it was interesting to think of how Poco was the training ground for bass players for the Eagles.

Come to think of it, every band Furay, Meisner, or Schmidt was in had pretty good vocal harmonies: Buffalo Springfield, Poco, Eagles, and the "supergroup" Souther-Hillman-Furay (remember them)?

PS: In the vein of older bands, I spent some time yesterday listening to Boenzee Cryque (yet another Poco feeder band - Rusty Young and George Grantham). Anybody else remember them?
I saw Souther, Hillman & Furay on the the only tour they ever did when they opened up for Dickey Betts at Duke University. The great Jim Gordon played drums. It was a fine show all around!

As for POCO, people think of Meisner and Schmidt as the high harmony singers without realizing that George Grantham was really the high harmony singer in that band, all while playing fantastic drums!

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
I saw Souther, Hillman & Furay on the the only tour they ever did when they opened up for Dickey Betts at Duke University. The great Jim Gordon played drums. It was a fine show all around!
That must have been an excellent show!

Turi

I love Jimmy Eat Worlds harmonies.. and Brand New.. both those bands are awesome at it.

Strat335

I didn't go through all 6 pages, but it has probably been mentioned that Alison Krause and Union Station are just about angelic sounding.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
When I think of the cream of the crop and pinnacle of vocal harmonies, for me 1977 to 1979 Bee Gees set the bar astonishingly high, and all without auto tune , trickery and stuff like that. IMO the Bee Gees during that era defined vocal harmony excellence, who do you pick for the thread ?
Listening to some of the examples posted it occurred to me that you might have made us distinguish between studio work and what they can actually do live on stage.

soundchaser59

Thank You Great Spirit!
Gold Supporting Member
I don't understand how these tracks fit in with the OP. These are both a single voice that has some background vocal padding. The padding is so buried in reverb or fx that I can't tell if the voices are even really human or some top shelf synth patch. I can't even tell what words the pad voices are singing. It sounds like some of the voice pads I have on my Roland and my Sonik Synth II plugins. Sorry, but these two tracks seem like the weakest examples I've come across in this thread so far.

Trending Topics