Any Gibson Midtown Custom owners out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cbickford84, May 10, 2015.

1. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me what the neck shape is?

Is the body like a 335 or a 339?

What is your impression overall?

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

I have a Midtown Standard and the body shape is somewhere between the size of a 335 and a 339. The Midtown is not the same plywood design though as those two guitars so the tone is more in the LP camp than the 335 camp. It's basically a solid wood guitar that's hollowed out. Neck shape on mine is 60s style. Great guitars for the money.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'll have one on Tuesday....:)

4. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Yes it's more in the LP camp than a semi hollow. It's a great guitar for what it is.

5. Budman2k

Budman2k Member

Neck is 60's profile and the top is flat, not carved like a 335. Body size is probably closest to a 335. Nice guitar for the price. I sold mine because I'm not a fan of 60's neck profile.

Budman

6. cbickford84

cbickford84 Supporting Member

Damn, I think the 60's neck might be a deal breaker. That's probably the same shape as my '13 SG; I didn't like how it felt.

7. boppstar

boppstar Supporting Member

^ same here, I couldn't bond with the 60s neck. Super cool guitars though at a really nice price point compared to the 335.

8. caspa

caspa Member

60s profile neck, I played a huge 50s profile SG neck before this.

I have come to love the 60s shape though, lets me be a little more versatile with what I play. Big chord shapes and sliding around the neck are SO much easier now

Absolutely love mine, would recommend it to anyone.

[​IMG]

9. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

Nice guitar for the price if you like the 60s neck. As noted previously, it sounds more like a chambered Les Paul than a 335 - the laminated (plywood) construction of the 335 is part of the tone equation of those guitars. Mine was well made and looked sharp...I also liked the Richlite fretboard. But the 60s neck is a little too small for my big mitts, so off it went.

10. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I think they look fantastic, great proportions. I like the slim neck and the fact they have great upper fret access. My 339 always bothered me in that regard. I've been partial to SGs for that reason. I've also never been totally comfortable on Les Pauls or 335s, but love their tone. This could be a nice marriage of those features in a classy package.

11. Chriske

Chriske Member

I dig mine! The neck is not too slim, rather medium sized really. Love the burstbucker in the neck, but the bridge pickup could've been a tad darker to my taste. Oh well, that's what tone controls are for, right? This Guitar is versatile. That's why I sold my LP, which is too dark sounding. Good for solid rock and blues. The midtown also allows for funky rhythm guitar and pop songs, which is what I need for my cover band.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

12. bobliefeld

bobliefeld Member

I play sorta punk/metal. A bit like Melvins I suppose. My Midtown Custom does a fantastic job at this kind of stuff. I can't imagine a better guitar for what I'm doing to be honest.

I think the pickups are fantastic. I don't know if it's the semi semi hollow nature of the guitar but dig in and it really "thumps".

Fit and finish wise mine is a bit rough around the edges. To me the neck feels quite chunky, although all of my other guitars are quite modern. It makes my am deluxe strat feel like a little toy.

13. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

My ebony just arrived. It looks great! I love that you get the classic brown/pink Gibson case, a nice touch. The action is low and fast without any buzzing. It feels like my SG in semi-hollow form, and I like that! Fit and finish is pretty good, the neck binding is a little rough between the nut and 5th fret, some glue marks around the 20-22nd frets, shavings in the F-holes. Nothing that affects how it plays, and it doesn't bother me at this price point. I still feel like I got a more expensive guitar than it cost.

[​IMG]

14. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

It's a good value for a Gibson semi... I had the P90 version and the burst bucker version... Liked the burst buckers, but it was a little neck heavy, and prefer rosewood.

Both necks are a little bigger than a typical 60's neck profile

Starshine likes this.
  15. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Member

I actually had the black one, twice, lol. Not sure I "loved" the 12" radius, but guitar felt/sounded great. I honestly think GAS and financial reasons made me sell twice. Should have kept one.

16. Travis Tad Russell

Travis Tad Russell Member

I own the 2016 Midtown Deluxe in Rootbeer. And absolutely love this guitar. I own many Les Paul's and PRS's but this thing is in a class of its own. My question is I have owned it for 2 weeks and it came shipped new but the case is cracked bad. This didn't happen in shipping. This was either at American Musical Supply or at gibson. I have reached out to American Musical Supply and they told me since this is a discontinued model I'll have to go thru Gibson. I called Gibson and they told me to email them pics and they will decide if they will replace it LOL. I Tour each week and play 3 to 4 shows each week. So I need a case now. And I've emailed Gibson 6 times and not one response. So what case with fit this ? I have searched high a low and found nothing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you