Any gigging with Epiphones? Good and bad experiences are welcome.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tbone135, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I just can't justify Gibson pricing on Les Pauls these days, so can any of y'all share your experiences with the Epi stuff? I'm not a collector, just a gigger that needs good sounding quality gear.

2. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

I think what I really mean to ask is if these guitars are professional instruments. I don't know much about them.

3. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I have an Epiphone Les Paul that was my main guitar for three years. I loved gigging with it. Never had a problem or anything with it. I have had it for about 4 years now and the only thing that has needed repair is I need to get new frets from extensive use which will happen with any guitar. Mine is still stock and everything and I love it and continue to gig with it even though my ES-339 has taken the main guitar spot.

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

In the San Francisco Bay Area, local blues musician Steve Freund plays Epiphone Les Pauls (I think he might even be endorsed by Epi).

Steve is pro without a doubt and he makes his living gigging on these guitars. They seem to stand up well to all the miles he puts on them.

5. Jura

Jura Member

Sure, if you buy a good one, and swap the electronics if needed, you won't have any problems.. Many others gig them.. professionally..

6. geonew

geonew Member

A used Epi Elite/Elitist is one of the best deals going for an LP these days, IMHO of course (I have one and a '92 Gibson LP Standard)

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have seen many people gig epiphones live and have no problems, I knew a guy in a very sucessful local band that giged for years with a epi les paul with great results. and I garunatee the average listener wont hear a huge difference from an epi LP to a gibson. I would say the same about Squiers.

8. '70 RS

'70 RS Member

Look at it this way, people have been gigging/recording with Valco, National, Danelectro, Kay, Univox, etc. for decades. If your budget calls for an Epi Les Paul, then by all means find one you like and gig it. Replace anything you need to, only when you need to. Skip the "Yeah get one and swap the (fill in the blank)" advice. Get one that you like and play it, then, if and when you find any shortcomings with hardware deal with it then.

Good luck.

9. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

Didn't/doesn't Nancy Wilson of Heart gig with Epi LPs?

10. bowie3141

bowie3141 Member

Epi MIJ +1111111 when you can find them :banana

11. Warren Mendonsa

Warren Mendonsa Member

+1 - I picked up a MIJ Epi on eBay, it's been totally gig-worthy for around a year. I replaced the pickups with a set of PRS Dragon IIs, though it came with Seymour Duncan '59s.

Here's a clip of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GtO55Y7CTc&fmt=18

Here's an eBay auction with a similar guitar: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300292827544
    Note that the headstock is not the typical Epiphone mutation, but just like a regular Gibson. Something to do with these guitars being made for the japanese market only.

12. bowie3141

bowie3141 Member

ah yes very nice and a couple weeks ago i picked up 2 awesome classic white RI's SG's MIJ from another TGP'r tattooed carrot and i love em one has emg's...

13. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

I own Gibsons and Epiphones. I LOVE them both!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I gig with 'em every weekend. :RoCkIn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EXCELLENT guitars in my opinion.

14. blhm84

blhm84 Member

Exactly. Swap out the electronics, and you have yourself a bad ass instrument. But stock, the pickpups are muddy POS.

15. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

A friend of mine had a sunburst Epi Les Paul that he had upgraded the pickups to a set of EMGs. Now, I never liked the Epi Les Pauls OR EMG pickups, but I gotta tell you, I love that guitar!! I liked it so much, he sold it to me for $250 and it has quickly made it into my rotation of gigging guitars. The only thing I want to change are the stock tuners. They are a little chinsy and will go out of tune from time to time. Looking to swap out for some Schallers or Wilkinsons in the next month or so.

16. ROKY

ROKY Member

That one looks REAL nice !

17. JRDill

JRDill Member

Yep and she is still endorsed by Epiphone to this day.

18. kalender1

kalender1 Member

I've had the korina 58 flying v for a couple of years.Sounds great and never had a problem with it.All stock...never touched the electronics or tuners.

19. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Having owned quite a few Epi electrics, I would say there's no reason why you can't gig regularly with one...IF you can find a good one. Try to get a used Korean one, and bypass the Chinese garbage. The problem I see with a lot of Epiphoes is electronics, intonation and tuning problems, and occasional shoddy workmanship in general. I had an Epi Dot, the 335 style guitar. It looked beautiful until you really took a close look, and you'd notice that one of the posts for the bridge was crooked. It played OK, but who wants a defect like that? Unacceptable.

Summing it up, I'd say Epi's are good "platform" guitars. You buy them cheap and fix the the stuff that's wrong.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I have one Epiphone left and it's going up on craigslist tonight. Once that's gone, I'm finished with them. Done. Finito. Das ist alles.

20. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

Thanks y'all. I'm keeping one eye open for the right git.