Any GMW Users Out there??? Quality???

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by chrispatel, Sep 27, 2006.

1. chrispatel

chrispatel Member

I am contemplating purchasing a GMW EVH Black and White Stripe guitar and would love to here feedback on the quality of these guitars.

I would appreciate any feedback

Chris

2. monte

monte Gold Supporting Member

I can tell you that GMW makes great guitars. Click on my signature link and you will see my old VH II from GMW.

I want a VH I too....any GMW guitar that I have owned has been with out exception.

Go for it!

Monte

3. chrispatel

chrispatel Member

Very impressive! I am thinking about trading my Grosh Retro Classic in for it. My frind is asking for a stright trade for the Grosh for the GMW. I have never owned a GMW. What makes them great?

Chris

4. Green Pro Am

Green Pro Am Supporting Member

I have played a couple and they are quite nice. If I were you, I would try to get some money out of him rather than trade straight up. The Grosh is a more expensive guitar to begin with.

5. Badger71

Badger71 Member

Definitely! I've seen used GMWs in the $800-$1200 range. If it has a strat head, it will be valued in the higher end. Used Grosh sit a little bit higher, though. If you're not headstock "particular", you could sell the Grosh and comission GMW to build a guitar for you....within' their spec parameters. GMW doesn't go the full custom route.

6. chrispatel

chrispatel Member

This model is apparently one of only two created to exactly VH1 except for the floyd original. It has the strat head headstock and apparently was built in 2000/2001. This was verified by Lee at GMW. Any thoughts on value.

Chris

7. graydane

graydane Member

not as high as Lee thinks it is. I would sell the yours and then buy the GMW.

8. black mariah

black mariah Member

GMW's fretwork has always been regarded as ridiculously good among others I talk with online. And there were a LOT of guys I knew with GMW's a couple of years ago.

9. Chuckracer

Chuckracer Supporting Member

Hey Mike...I'm everywhere! /\

I've had a number of GMW's over the years, both new to my specs and used. There's a lot of hype surrounding these guitars, especially amongst the hard core Charvel camp, and they are really good guitars to be sure, but maybe not quite as good as the hypsters would like you to think.

I'm not bagging on them, but after going through several, I wouldn't pay the top dollar prices I was paying. I never found what I was looking for in any of them.

Anyhoo...you've already gotten the right advice: Sell the Grosh outright.

10. moomd3

moomd3 Member

Trading a Grosh for a GMW?
    It depends on what kind of Grosh you have but if I were you, I'd keep the Grosh AND buy the GMW too.
    :AOK

11. kmanick

kmanick Member

I've had a couple (still have one) and I have a new one on order.
    The build quality is outstanding on them, but like chuckracer said
    "it's got to have what you're looking for"
    Now I happen to own one the Gmw's that Chuckracer had (and Monte had as well) and it's my favorite player. it's got exactly what I was looking for. :dude

Eveyone has different tastes, try to find someone local to you that has one and try it out. I've played a few and loved them all. You may play them and decide you need to look for something else.

12. JoeinLA

JoeinLA Member

I think it was GMW that had that debacle over some guy's custom made guitar and the extremely messed up job.

Anyways, I remember that the customer went through so much well-publicized and well-discussed pain that I feel obligated to point it out again.

13. kmanick

kmanick Member

ya that was vic (Genebaby) that whole debacle was awful.
    but that is the only negative story I've ever heard about GMW's
    and there was a lot of **** slinging going on in that one.