Any Good Current Production Rectifier Tube Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by FlyingDutchman, Jan 23, 2012.

1. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

I recently acquired a 65' Princeton BF (non-reverb) and the rectifier tube is an unlabeled, probably chinese, tube. It is the 5AR4/GZ34 rectifier. I checked out ebay and NOS 5AR4's are big bucks..Not sure if its worth going NOS so Im consider trying a current production tube but I have no idea what is good and what is crap.

All I can do is read reviews online from other users and I get the feeling that the Sovtek stuff is garbage, JJ/Tesla can me hit or miss and then it even gets a bit more confusing..

Groove Tubes are just relabeled chinese made to GT spec?

Is it even worth going crazy over replacing this tube? Does it make a huge difference in "tone"? I already have some NOS glass for the 12ax7's and the seller had matching NOS JAN-GE 6V6GT's installed as well.

Opinions please????? Thanks in advance guys!

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I've had good luck with the JJ. I use them in 2 tremolux's. 3 vintage deluxe's
    and my 66 BF Princeton. No problems here. They have been in these amps for about 5 years.

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    JJ GZ34's have worked out well for 100s of customers.

NOS GZ34's last 10-20 times as long.

Nothing is made to GT spec except a few of their own exclusive tubes (which aren't GZ34s). They're just the usual new production tubes. In some rectifier cases the tone or FEEL of the amp can be quite different with a NOS tube.

4. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Member

Thanks guys..Just pulled the trigger on some NOS goodness...Might as well do it right if Im gonna do it..

5. TweeDLX

TweeDLX Member

Another consideration, try a 5V4 instead. It drops a little more voltage than a 5AR4, but the NOS pricing is very good ($25-$45). A deal that can't be beat IMO.