any good delays that sounds like an echoplex?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bmf5150, Mar 26, 2008.

1. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

any good delays out there that sounds like an echoplex?
    stan

2. wilerty

wilerty Member

Boss RE20 Space Echo

3. bmf5150

bmf5150 Member

4. Groovysnoopy113

Groovysnoopy113 Member

What specifically are needing..another tape echo, analog box, digital?

5. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I've found that the Moen Pretty Dolly sounds quite Echoplexish when coupled with a Moen Shaky Jimi set on Chorus mode.

6. shawntp

shawntp Member

I've been searching this up the last couple days on this forum and I'll share the top contenders. Lots of people seem to have little quirky opinions about one pedal vs another so none stands out. If you are in Chicago to to Make'N Music and try them. These are some of the current favorites:

Digital Delays I've been reading about:
    T-Rex Replica, Madd Professor Deep Blue Delay, TC Electronics Nova Delay, and at a lower price point CMATMODS Deeelay

Analog Delays I've also been reading about:
    Maxon AD999, AD900, Retro-Sonic Analog Delay

And the obvious undisputed heavyweight champion of the world: The fulltone Tube tape echo

There are a couple others like Memory Lane that I haven't looked at too close

Ive used a couple and you just gotta try them - they have different usability controls and characteristics. I actually think I am going to try the T-Rex Replica for a bit myself after having owned the Maxon AD-80 which didnt cut it for me. For some reason I cant make my mind up after playing in a shop - I need to get it home and try it out for a good month so I buy-sell used.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Don't forget the H&K Replex. Digital but does not sound it at all. Tonally, this pedal gets further into EP-3 territory than any non-tape alternative I've tried. YMMV, but for me, this is my first-choice delay for live work. It has great warmth, beautiful echo sound.

8. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

Another vote for the RE-20 Space Echo or you might want to look into the Fulltone version.

9. puls

puls Member

I've never owned or played thru an echoplex, however many say the Carl Martin Delayla has an "echoplex-ish" sound, and the CM propaganda says that was the sound they were going after. I've got one & like it well enough, always works, always sounds great. I was looking for a tap-tempo reverb/echo that didn't mangle the original analog signal, and the delayla fit the bill (and my wallet, not too expensive used). Although I can't say if it's resembles the echoplex sound at all....

maybe that helps, maybe not.

jwp

10. sega

sega Member

I tried the Re-20 today, and It does sound similar to the echoplex.
    By the way I have a T-rex replica and the Re-20 is superior for the ''tape'' effect.

But i'm not sure if the Re-20 does'nt affect your sound.
    While I was testing the pedal, someone was trying a amp and was playing
    some trash music....I told the salesman that I would comeback when it would be quieter....

But the Re-20 looks interesting for the price, and it has a tap tempo.
    All around it is very nice....try it!!!

11. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

Sorry, no pedal comes close to an echoplex....you'd know that if you spent some time on one.

Paul

12. bionic

bionic Member

Sort of hijacking here. How does the new RE 20 pedal compare to the RE 20 setting on the DL4? My only reason for getting the DL4 was for the looper and the Space Echo setting.

13. wyatt

wyatt Member

Yeah, I got to agree with this. The Echoplex has its sonic quirks (both good and bad) and I've never heard anything sound exactly like mine. Certainly none of the digital tape emulators have. Even the Fulltone TTE and the Tubeplex sound different (higher fidelity, broader tone, no hiss). But similar would be good enough, in my book.

But the fact is maintaining an Echoplex is a PITA (especially the SS models, tube models are easier to diagnose)and mine never leaves the house anymor (last time it needed repairing it went through 5 separate repair shops). So, I recommend making to compromise and settling on something newer, more reliable and less mechanical. My Boss DM-2 is my workhouse these days, it doesn't sound like the Echoplex, but it's big, warm and no hiss.

14. wyatt

wyatt Member

I don't think the DL4 can compare, the RE-20 is designed to mimic the RE-201 and all of it's functions the same way the real deal would work. People have semi-retired Space Echos (which don't sound like Echoplexes) after getting a RE-20.

15. gregory49

gregory49 Member

the mad professor dbd is closer to an echoplex then a nova delay i can tell you that much. Alot of artists that dig vintage gear and don't want to bother with echoplex's ushually use a dl4 though. I've never even tried one.

16. 4styx

4styx Member

Chandler SDE.

17. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

i have tried several delays--and nothing comes close to tape, imho.

18. JMarck

JMarck Member

+1..Alot of delays try to copy tape..but can't, imo. But to answer your question...the MP Deep Blue Delay. The sound was very close to my EP3.

19. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I am in this search too. I know a pedal won't sound exactly like my ep-3. And I have learned to work on and repair the EP-3 myself, so no worries there. Still it is a large thing to haul around for rehearsals and practice. Something that comes close in a pedal would be nice.

Analog delays sound nothing like a tape echo. And everything I read about modded digital delays is that they just darken the repeats. But darkening the repeats will just make the digital sound like a bucket brigade analog, not tape. My echoplex does not darken repeats. The repeats actually get thinner as they fade. This effect is worsened if the bias isn't quite on, but even biased, the repeats thin out as they fade. Much different than analog delays that get murky and indestinct.

Over all I think a digital would sound more tape-like than an analog. But frankly some of the digitals are more expensive than the EP-3. I can get an echoplex in great shape for way less than a Replex, and about as much as the Mad Professor or a Replica. A substitute that is as much or more money than the original isn't much of a substitute. They are smaller and more convenient, but that still doesn't justify the cost IMO.

I just don't see any reason for a digital delay to cost $300 - $400 dollars and up. It's digital for crying out loud! I just bought a core 2 duo computer with gigs of everything and a monitor for $800. But they can't store a guitar signal in memory for second for less than $200? Ok, now I am ranting. Sorry. But that is my search now in a nut shell. Something under $200 that is close to the cool factor of tape, doesn't futz with the straight signal, isn't too digital OR too analog sounding, and doesn't have a crappy buffer. Am I asking so much? Ok, looks like I'll be hauling the EP-3 around for a while.

20. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

Don't mean to rant or slam in any way, but we are being conditioned as consumers (Americans' place in the globalized economy) to expect cheaper and cheaper electronics. The insanely low prices we pay are for Chinese-made products which are subsidized by slave wages and an artificially fixed (rather than floating exchange rate) Yuan.

You can expect to pay upwards of $300 for any hand-made pedal that requires as many hours of fair wage labor as a digital delay. I'm not saying that they are all "worth" it; just that price expectations are skewed.