1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

any good neo 12" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tedm, Feb 15, 2009.

1. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

light weight, and not too expensive?

2. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've played and owned most of them. My vote goes to the Jensen Neo. Second place, Celestion Century Vintage. ymmv......

btw, I have an extra Celestion I'm not using, if you're interested, Ted.

jon

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  3. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Haven't heard others, but I have a Jensen 12-100 and Tornado (both neos). I've spent a fair bit of time comparing them to a Fane Alnico and an EVM 12L and they are really pretty darned good speakers. The efficiency rating is deceiving - they are very loud and clean. You might want to look at the recent guitar player review.

4. topbrent

topbrent Member

JGM:

Could you give a descriptive comparison of the EVM vs the Jensen Neo 12-100?

5. zachhahn

zachhahn Member

i am interested in neo's as well.
    would you share your opinion on the tonal characteristics/difference b/w tornado and jensen neo?
    also how does tornado compare to EVM?

i am thinking about putting either a tornado or 12-100 in a 1x12 mesa mark I combo, and would appreciate some inputs from those who have experience with both speakers. i am pretty familiar with EVM, so that might serve as a reference for me.

thanks in advance.

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

gotta bump this one.

7. hector

hector Member

I have the Jensen neo and Eminence Lil' Texas. I think I like the Texas better, but need to put it in a 1x12 cab first, to be sure. It's in a 2x12 with a Swamp Thang right now. The Jensen neo, by itself, is o.k. but seemed a little shy in the low end, compared to a ceramic texas heat in the same cab. It didn't sound "bad" at all. Just not what I'm looking for. However, I'm told it takes a long time to break in, and I only have a few hours on them. BTW, the weight savings is 5 or 6 lbs per speaker!

8. Trout

Trout Member

I have been running the original 12/100 Jensen Neo's a couple years. Just love them with certain amps.
    I also have been using the Jensen Tornado's for about 6 months.

No shortage of bottom end with the Neo 12/100's, but that has a lot to do the cab size and style.
    The Tornado is clearly less bass orientated, The bass less articulate and or much softer. I still get plenty of bass, just not as aggressive as the Neo 12/100.

The original Neo 12/100 is very transparent. It does not seem to color the tone like previous Jensen Re-issues. Depending on taste and type of music, than can be good or bad.

I had a pair of identical 5E3's here a while back, 1 Tornado equipped, and 1 Neo 12/100 equipped. The differences were very pronounced.
    Most ears liked the Tornado equipped amp because it was a more relaxed less spiky feel. Both speakers needed a good bit of time to break in, and even then it is very subtle.

All said and done, I like them both, but I have not run either of them in anything over 45W.

9. polifemo

polifemo Member

I´ve got 2 Celestion Centurys in a 2x12 cab.
    They´re loud (!) and has a "full range sound" to them.

The high end isn´t shrill but as they do not show the slightest hint of going into compression, it (the high end) can sound quite hard and be tiring to the ear with certain amps.

With the right amp they´re great though!

ps Have a feeling that the Jensen Neos might be a bit more "musical" somehow. ds

10. fish78

fish78 Member

What about Weber's line?

11. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Love my Weber NeoMags have 4 of them both 12s and 15.

They sound and feel like JBL D120F & D130F.

They don't get alot of talk around here since most don't prefer the JBL over say the EV

12. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I'll do my best. All three of the speakers are still breaking in FWIW. I agree with Trout's descriptions of the Tornado vs 12-100 so I'll compare the 12-100 to the 12L.

The 12-100 is a bit warmer sounding than the EV, and doesn't have the long tail of highs you associate with an EV of JBL. There are plenty of highs in the Jensen, but it's kind of like comparing a brown amp to a blackface - that intangible top end clarity giving air to the sound. The Jensen has a bit boomier low end and you have to be careful how you dial in the upper mids because there is a potential for harshness, but this is rapidly going away on my speaker.

I tried both in a 40 watt combo - the EV (which brought the amp to 53lbs) sounded good but a bit choked off. Not bad, just sounded constrained. The Jensen actually sounds a bit better than the EV for my ears in a combo cab but it might be the shear joy of a relative 39lbs coloring my impressions! I built an oversized detuned 1x12 cab and the EV sounds a lot better and really opened up my 40 watt tonally.

The combo of the 12-100 and the EV sounds excellent. To my surprise (naively thinking efficiency ratings has much to do with anything or might be consistent between manufacturers) the neo keeps up with the EV fine - the Jensen has little or no speaker distortion so it puts everything right out there.

So after all that, for a combo, I'd definitely consider the Jensens since the weight savings are pretty profound and tonally the speaker has a lot of pluses. I also think the Jensen is worth considering in a tweed style amp if you want to clean the amp up and increase the headroom a little. In an extension, the EV has something more to it - more highs, a more balanced low end, all in all a bit more hi fi. But it's a mistake to turn a nose up at the Jensens - they work very well in a mix, make schlepping the gear a lot easier and are a good value. They do seem to have a long break in.

Brent - you know Allens well. I set up my two amps in a stereo - the 40 watt Accomplice as a head with the EV cab run wet, and my Brown Sugar with 6L6's in a combo cab with the Tornado run dry with the raw control on 2 - sounds phenomenal. Reminds me, I need to call the sheetrock guy...

13. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

Great thread, guys! :)

Anyone have comments on the Emi Tonkerlite and how it compares with the other neos?

14. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Unfortunately I have no comparison comments, but the tonkerlite came stock in my Gries 5, and I liked it quite a bit. I tried the Gries through a Texas Heat and a regular Tonker and went back to the tonkerlite.

15. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

That was one of the points that interested me in the Tonkerlite--the fact that Dave Gries thinks enough of them to use 'em...

Thanks for your input, BAN :)

-Rocky

16. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I've tried only the Lil' Texas.

I didn't like it. It had a strange high mid spike. The breakup characteristics reminded me of an alnico speaker. The low end was kind of lacking too.

I just didn't like it.

The redeeming factors:

1. Easy to acheive pleasing, musical feedback
    2. Handled lots of power
    3. CRAZY lightweight.

I would try Neo's again if they can sound warmer and thicker like a BIG ceramic magnet.

17. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Really your ears hear ceramic magnets being warmer?

Do you consider JBL D120Fs to be warm speakers?

18. boon

boon Member

I've got 2 tonkerlites in my 2x12 cab which i run my heritage colonial through and it sounds sweet. Very balanced, very clear and of course very light. For that reason, i'm chasing a couple more neodynum speakers so if anyone has one for sale, send me a pm!

19. Trout

Trout Member

Maybe he is like me, I often call a darker speaker warmer.
    I have a few C12N re-issues I call dark, but others call them warm?

20. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a Tonkerlite in my Reeves Custom 12. I like the sound a lot.