Any good pickup suggestions for a D28?

Lewguitar

I like the K&K minis that glue to the underside of the bridge and the Red Eye preamp.

If you want a soundhole pickup there's some excellent ones available these days. The LR Baggs M1 and M80 are both very good.

TheBuffalo

Silver Supporting Member
The k&k western mini is awesome.

UNder saddle pickups are a bad idea IMO and I wouldn't recommend using them unless you only plan to play plugged in with that instrument.

mrmurph

Silver Supporting Member
I've gotta say the K&Ks are great I'm using them on 2 of my guitars now. I like the trinity system that combines the K&K Pure Mini with the Trinity Western Mic. I use an offboard multi-source pre amp (DTA Solstice) but they also make one with an onboard preamp and blender/volume wheels that mount under the edge of the sound hole.

I've also got an old D35 that has a similar Baggs setup with mic and undersaddle pickup and it sounds good, but not as good as the K&K.

335guy

I've been using the K&K Trinity system for a little while now and here's my impression.

For recording, and monitoring with headphones or in ears, it sounds excellent. It may not be quite as good as a quality condenser mic, but it still is very good. The mic is usable in this situation. However, every little bump of the guitar is amplified and heard. I think with an external mic, this is less of a problem. For live, I've found the internal mic supplied with Trinity system is pretty much useless. It's squeals and feeds back easily. If you play very quietly, it can be used to add some high end sparkle. In my Martin dread, the contact pickups that mount under the bridge, inside the guitar sound very good. But they too will feedback pretty easily. The included preamp, while it works, is a pain to use. To adjust the EQ, you have to take the lid off and insert a tiny screwdriver into these little ( and I mean very little ) pots. It does have the individual pickup and mic volume controls mounted outside. I compared using the K&K preamp to just running the pickups direct passively, and the pickups do sound better using the preamp. To combat feedback, I resorted to using a Planet Waves Feedback Eliminator. I was surprised, the thing actually works to reduce feedback. And it doesn't seem to negatively affect the tone of the guitar with the K&K pickups. I like it so far.

The only other system I would consider personally, is the LR Baggs Lyric mic. The reviews of this have been pretty impressive. These systems aren't for getting an acoustic amplified the very loudest. That would go to surface mount mag pickups and UST's. But I never cared for the way those sounded.

royd

You framed the question incorrectly. Except in a few odd instances, your guitar doesn't matter. The question is where will you be playing, with what other instruments, how loud, and with what kind of monitors. Without those answers, no opinions givenare partcularly helpful. Next you need to tell us what your budget is. You can spend from about $30-$3000 on a pickup system and preamp.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
^ +1

the only way that the guitar being a D28 matters is that you know anything and everything out there can be installed, unlike something with a through-saddle bridge, a breedlove style bridge doctor truss thing and an offset soundhole :)

Pitar

Mags don't pick up the sound of your guitar. They are factory programmed to emulate an acoustic guitar and that's it. Strap it to a cinder block and you'll get the same sound.

I use the Piezo sound board transducers (K&K, et al) or a mic with a preference for a mic when I want the truer sound of the guitar coming through.

wlalpaugh

LR Baggs Lyric Anthem under saddle transducer and blendable mic on the bridge plate
Sounds wonderful and you can crank up the volume by fading in less mic.

Last edited:

audiohub

Hmmm....
This comparison stuff can be misleading.

The Amulet M pickup starts at $279 COMPLETE (includes a super high quality preamp), while the JJB pricing does not include the external preamp and extra cables necessary for operation. Add all this into the price, and that 5X gap shrinks considerably. I see some people posting that "you don't need this extra stuff", but hey, let's face it. You do, and you'll end up buying it at some point down the road.

The Amulet is being used by performers like Jackson Browne, Sheryl Crowe, Bonnie Raitt, Neil Young and Metallica. Loud bands.

71strat

Hmmm....

The Amulet M pickup starts at $279 COMPLETE (includes a super high quality preamp), while the JJB pricing does not include the external preamp and extra cables necessary for operation. Add all this into the price, and that 5X gap shrinks considerably. I see some people posting that "you don't need this extra stuff", but hey, let's face it. You do, and you'll end up buying it at some point down the road.

The Amulet is being used by performers like Jackson Browne, Sheryl Crowe, Bonnie Raitt, Neil Young and Metallica. Loud bands.

For the money and quality of sound it is unbeatable.

I consider 300 bucks for a Pro Quality piece of gear cheap.

royd

Hmmm....

Ok... so 3X as much for the M... but still 5X for the full amulet.

Sort of... they're using in ear monitors, a relatively low on stage volume, AND have a pro sound person running the monitor mix and another running the FOH. I'm guessing the op will have a very different situation than that. And those big names may or may not actually be using an amulet. If the op is playing with a typical bar band, the amulet will be a disaster as would the jjb or k&k.

Each of the systems have strengths and weaknesses. Each have settings they work well. Most have settings for which they are completely wrong and often not useable. Just asking which pickup might get you a reasonable answer, but only if you're lucky enough that the person answering plays in similar settings.

fwiw, I mix at a small acoustic concert series with a high end pa and a great sounding room. Ive mixed almost every pickup system available. Almost all can sound reasonably good. None are consistently better than all the others. The various players all have their preferences and they are not the same.

WGTroutman

If you're not playing death metal, my vote is for K&K trinity. You have the option to not use the mic if you're on a particularly noisy stage. Experiment with the position of the mic extensively, and do not buy the belt pack preamp.

My main guitar (D28, if that's even relevant) has a JJB 330 and silver bullet mic (the mic that comes with the trinity system). My music budget was tight when I soldered it all together a few years ago so I didn't get the K&K pure mini. I don't regret getting the JJB.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good preamp to run it all through—regardless of the system you get. I use and heartily recommend the D-TAR solstice for the trinity system.

Before you buy a pickup/pickups, check this link out. Doug Young compares a huge selection of pickups in very high quality. http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

Because the OP didn't specify a price range, I feel at liberty to say if money is no object, wire up a K&K pure mini and a DPA 4061 and run them through a Pendulum SPS-1.

Top Bottom