Any good products for re-staining deck?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Gas-man, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Just reading reviews and pretty much all of the stains and "Restore" type products are getting trashed.

What have you had success with?

2. Rick51

Rick51 Member

I use Thompson's Waterseal every three years. I forget the color, golden something. Goes on easy, looks good.

3. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

They are all pretty good in my experience.

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I tried painting this time. New deck. It is an Olympic paint product with a sand like grit in it to make your traction better when wet or icy.

It is the thickness of a milkshake, so it does some filing of cracks, also. Had it on a couple of months. Like it real well so far. Certainly more expensive than Thompson's.

5. SamPaoli

SamPaoli Member

It's high solids content that stand up to To weather and sun better. I used a dark brown shade of "Olympic Elite" from lowes that is a stain and sealer combined. After 2 years of Hawaiian sun and rain it still looks great. I enjoy staining and painting and actually like putting on a fresh dose every few years to keep it pretty.

6. Jeff Gehring

Jeff Gehring Silver Supporting Member

I use penofin oil on our deck and really like it. Depending upon what's been previously applied to yours, that might not be an option, though.

7. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

Has your Deck ever been treated? If not..and you don't like retreating every other year get a latex deck stain product. It gives an opague finish in the color of your choosing. If you going for the transparent look there are both water based and oil based sealers. I don't like doing the work over every other year and have had great luck with Latex but the look is not what everyone wants. I wouldn't use it on Cedar...and I never use a gloss product..to fussy for me. Water Blast it down first and don't go over oil unless its well aged and gone, again blast it for prep.
    Menard will set you up in my part of the country. 3 year coat.

8. rolsen

rolsen Member

Do you guys totally strip the old stain off first, chemically and with pressure washer before restaining? This is what all the online advice suggests but man is it a pain. Wife and I swore we'd rip out the boards and replace with an engineered product (trex, etc) before stripping and restaining again.

9. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Restore worked great for me.

I put it on 3 years ago, no problems so far.

I cant figure out why anyone would give it bad reviews.

10. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

That depends on the old finish vs the new finish. A blaster will take an old finish down enough and prepare it for a new finish of the same. If you switching the base type you have different considerations and you should get all the old off..

11. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

Spray it with bleach and power wash it very good. Lightly sand and stain it with a solid color stain.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

How the heck do you lightly sand a big deck? I'm imaging me on my hands and knees with a fricken sanding block.

Hell no! :red

13. ASC67

ASC67 Member

Powerwash , then spray with bleach ( pump type sprayer works great for this) then rinse with water let dry for a day or so. Stain with oil based stain of your choice. I do this for a living and have tried all the different brands and at least here in Minnesota none last longer than 3 years at most. Cabot is a good one as well as Wolman F&P. Do not use water based stains they peal and make it harder to restain in the future.

14. j2b4o

j2b4o Member

Rent either a buffer or a floor random from Home Depot and throw an 80 screen on it.

15. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Ah, that makes more sense.

Still, a lot of work for a deck. I need to pull a Mr. Miyagi and pick up a new karate student and have this done in no time!

16. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I do not like Thompsons. Looks great at first but doesn't last. I think it is mostly comprised of paraffin and diluent. The hot sun and harsh winters here just destroy it. It looks like crap after one season.

I've gone to a latex based solid stain that lasts for 2-3 years. (cedar deck)

17. thewhit

thewhit Silver Supporting Member

I used this go round an elastomeric coating by Superdeck that looks quite nice and covered very well with soap and water clean up. I used a semi transparent stain on the pickets for some contrast.

I just got sick and tired of redoing the deck with stain all the time and pressure washing oil based products into the soil. No more for me.

18. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I have nothing to add other than ... yeah, we are moving from a house that has a wood deck to one the has cement pavers for a patio...

also, going from cedar fence to new aluminum fence.....

lets hope for less work :)

just repainted my deck last year to sell the house.. already starting to peal :(

19. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I've worked with this three times. It's absolutely opaque so if you want anything that is remotely transparent or translucent, this isn't for you. It's relatively hard to work with since it's so thick, but you'll get the touch after 10 minutes or so. It's pretty expensive, but unless you have a deck that is the full width of a big house, it's not too bad.

I don't have any pictures of how it looks after three years, but I can take some next time I'm at that house during daylight hours. I wouldn't say it looks like it was applied this season, but compared to my first use of Thompsons, it looks spectacular.

I don't know that it would be my first choice for a brand-spankin' new deck, but if the lumber is work at all, maybe starting to split, if you want to fill in some smaller cracks and whatnot, I can recommend it without reservation.

20. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

I've only had success with sanding the deck down to the wood and refinishing it. Did it once 5 years after we built our deck. Not fun (the sanding part).