1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Any Good Teachers in the NY/CT Area?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by lgehrig4, Mar 10, 2006.

1. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

I'm sick of spending all my $$ on gear. It's time to get serious and start really learning how to play. I could check the yellow pages for this, but I would rather use a recommendation or possibly someone from this forum.

I live in Trumbull, CT and off the top of my head I would say I could make it to most places in Fairfield County CT or Westchester NY.

thanks
    Jeff

2. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

Paul Gabriel in Trumbull CT. Awesome..a real pro and a great guy. What kind of music do you want to learn?

3. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

4. lgehrig4

I main interest is Blues and Blues based Rock, however, I would like to eventually learn other styles as well (Jazz, Fingerstyle, Metal, etc)

Do you know how I would contact him?

thanks

5. lgehrig4

6. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

drive to philly and see Harryj...hes a muther effer of a player! id say its worth the drive....

7. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Hey thx Pete, So was that a $100 check? LOL
    Actually, I do have a few students that travel as far as Washington DC and Long Island NY.

I generally do 3 hour monthly lessons for folks that are willing to travel 3 1/2 hr each way. YIKES!

HJ

8. esoteric pete

damn! 3 hours...my pea sized brain cant even take in that much info! i wish you lived closer harry, id love to study with you!

9. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Thx man... kinna funny 3 hr usually goes by way fast.
    Many of my students are fine players that just came to a fork in the road 'n stopped to ask for directions

HJ

10. esoteric pete

thats where im at....

lol...do you do phone lessons? i can paypal ya...lol...

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

I do have a series of 10 instructional video lessons on wacky multi string bending, and inflective ideas that are accessible on line at: www.workshoplive.com
    For anyone interested

I also teach seminars at various locations across the country in the summer months info at: www.guitarworkshop.com

In the past I've taught in: Nashville, Austin, Toronto, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, and my 20th year in New Milford CT.

HJ
    www.harryj.net

12. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

13. lgehrig4

Cool. Thanks again!

14. trucks

trucks Member

Nicky Nasko in Branford. I've taken lessons with him for years. One of the best, but he may have a long waiting list.

15. lgehrig4

Thanks! I'll keep him in mond.

I have an appointment with Paul Gabriel this Sat. I've never taken a lesson or played in front of anyone seriously. I hope my finger don't freeze up :eek:

16. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

Paul G. is very laid back. You will immediately feel comfortable. Wait til see his fiddles.

17. lgehrig4

Had the lesson with Paul last Sat. He is very laid back and cool. Even though he has a nice collection of vintage instruments he really doesn't seem to care for their value as much as their playability.

I am technically oriented person and when left to my own devices I become obsessed with gear, tab and theory instead of just playing. He is just the opposite so I am glad you recommended him.

thanks again
    Jeff

18. voodoo364

voodoo364 Member

MY favorite Strat 1957 #023286
    Anybody in TEXAS recognize this guitar?
    [​IMG]

19. lgehrig4

I'm not from TX, but I'm real curious to know the previous owner now. His wife made that strap btw. She does beadwork for a living and he siad that strap would go for $2K. If I had that kind of dough for a strap I would definitely ask her to make me one. Nicest one I ever saw.