Any "great" neck pickups for a 335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kappy, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Kappy

Kappy Member

I have an '01 335 that's really pretty terrific. Nice and resonant, good weight on the guitar, recently had it PLEK'ed by Phil Jacoby, good looker too. Maple top and back, mahogany neck. I want to soup it up some, so I think I may put a new wiring kit on there (not sure which right now). I really like the stock bridge pickup it came with (I'm assuming '57 classics?), it's got a really nice bite to it. The neck pickup, however, is flubby and amorphous when playing with OD or with dirt. It's almost usable as a clean pickup for wamer jazz tones, but I still think it could be a lot tighter, more well-defined with a nice attack but still very warm.

Any good recs worth checking out? Would like it fairly versatile -- from straight ahead jazz sound to very nice, warm OD tones. I'm not averse to swapping out the bridge too for a good set, but the bridge really is pretty damn good so I'm thinking something that'd work nicely with that is best.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dave

2. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

3. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I've never heard these in a 335 but have heard them in a Greco LP copy and they sounded GREAT. However, I think that they are not nearly as hot as a Classic 57 and that may cause some issues if you are mixing and matching.

4. rooster

rooster Member

Bill Lawrence makes a few. What I think you need is a low inductance model. It'll have less output, but be much brighter. I use an L-500C in the neck position of 2 of my Heritage H150's, and they sound almost Fender-like in their clarity. Great stuff.

rooster.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Dave,

Have you tried Lollar's low-wind Imperials? I think they'd kill in that 335. He does relic'ed covers, too.

6. motis1953

motis1953 Member

I have Duncan Seth Lovers in my guitar and am particularly fond of the very articulate tone of the neck pickup. I beleive they have one coil slightly underwound which makes much less muddy on the top end.

7. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

An original PAF, especially if it's wound like the one that my friend has in his '61 335.

8. Kappy

Kappy Member

Thanks for the replies, guys! It's nice to know there are some decent options. I'd been thinking about the PAF classics, but I can't seem to find them in zebra (yes, vain I know, but I like the look). The Wolfetones and Jack's recommendation of the Lollars (Hi Jack!) have been ones I've been interested in too. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I need to relatively soon.

I guess I have to figure out what kinda' pots/harness I'm going to upgrade this thing to as well.

9. Roe

Roe Member

I'm looking for pups for my ES as well. i'm considering lollar low winds

10. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

the Lollars are good too. Very detailed and crispy. A good cure for " wooly sounding neck pup syndrome".

11. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Hey Dave,

I'd get an old patent # Gibson PU from the 60's- those are basically PAF's with the patent. They sound so good. They're the real deal. So between the PAF and the T-top. I just love mine, I have them in both my 335s.

I like Jason's PUs but I think that an older Gibson is just more funky, with lots of character- my only critique of Jason's winds have been that they're so clean, polite etc that they miss out on the smoky character and tone of those old Gibsons.

Lot's of recorded samples of my 335 on my soundclick page

Neck PU volume down a bit then Middle position- then Bridge PU tone down a bit
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=773031&songID=6051097

Bridge PU tone down a bit
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=773031&songID=6021645

Neck PU
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=773031&songID=6020050
    IMO and all disclaimers attached-

Best,

Jack

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Hey Dave,call WCR with a measurement,he can help you.

13. strattitude

strattitude Member

Dimarzio PAF Classic works for my Ibanez 335.

14. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

antiquities and wcr crossroads

15. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

FIX THE POTS BEFORE THE PICKUPS!!!

An 01 335 probably has 300k pots, instead of the 500k a vintage 335 would have come with. That is a big part of the muddy high end. My 03 SG should have come with the same electronics as your 335 and I changed the electronics to RS and the pickups to WCRs seperately. Read this thread I did when I made each change to learn about the affect each part had : http://thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=273545

Once you have the right electronics, then you can get what a high end pickup really has to offer, until then your pots will still muddy things up.

16. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've heard that too, which is why I'm definitely going to upgrade the wiring/pots. Since it's an out of state tech though, I may just get the wiring and pups changed at the same time regardless.

17. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

D,

I love the WCR Crossroads in my Heatley Standards, and they are semi hollow.
    :BEER

18. gdgross

gdgross Member

I also have a 335 which I think is from 01. The symptoms of the stock pickups were exactly as you've described. As you've noted, the neck pickup was much worse than the bridge.

I went with a set from Highorder based on the recommendations of an internet friend. Talked with Jeff at (HO) about what magnets and winds I wanted before I ordered; he was very knowledgeable and helpful. I ended up going with a 8k AlNiCo 3 in the neck and and an 8.5k AlNiCo 2 in the bridge. They literally transformed the guitar. The neck sounds great with OD now, nice and fat.

I also ended up changing one of th tone caps to a smaller value (for more highs), but I can't remember which one now.

I would definitely recommend highorder. i am thinking about ordering another HB fro the bridge of my strat from them.

19. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Good call. Might as well get it all at once. semi-hollows are hell to rewire and get a nice upcharge on them. Getting both at the same time, it really will feel like a new guitar.

20. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.
    Dave - I remember in the LOONG thread on the "best" PAF pups...
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=256000&highlight=timbuckers

Jack Zucker said :
    "
    Dimarzio PAF. Seriously. I have them in my Sadowsky Semi and they are unbelievable. You don't need to spend $500 to get a great humbucker."
    ====================
    LeoFenderBender said

I've tried most of the recommendations here and the Holmes are just better. With the exception of the price, the formula he uses for those pickups is perfection in my ears.

Holmes 450/455s are balanced, open sounding, hi fidelity, tight bass, dig in perfectly. I wish I didn't sell them.

Voodoo '59s have a twangy bridge and a muddy neck. The bridge pickup is great, the neck pickup never did it for me - gone.

Lollar Imperials are bright, have decent fidelity but are boring. Glad I sold them.

Dimarzio PAFs are crisp, well balanced, overdrive well, definitely worth the price. Nice on a jazz axe - still have these.

Suhr DSVs - well balanced, open sounding, nice balance of highs & lows, dig in well, closest to Holmes but without some of the mojo. I've had these for years and they are the real deal too.

===========
    rooster said
    This may sound really boring and pedestrian, but the old DiMarzio PAF's always were a good dependable pickup. They sounded pretty good, and I think they're still about $50-60. Nobody really mentions them, but they were one of DiMarzio's best offerings.
    =============
    John Philips said
    Duncan Antiquities just aren't "small builder" enough for most people here, but they are the only ones that are built using the exactly correct materials and the actual winding machine that the originals were made on - bought by Seymour from Gibson - so they are the closest.

Duncan is the only pickup maker (as far as I know) to use the correct type of plastic for the bobbins - which can only be bought in quantities too large for most small makers. I could be wrong, but I think the molds they use were patterned exactly from the originals too. They also use the right type of wire, and wind the pickups on the actual machine Gibson used in the 50s... which no-one else has, obviously.

I'm not saying other pickups don't sound good, or that people might not think they sound audibly like the originals, but if you want the closest to the original PAFs, then the Duncans are the ones, simply because they're made the same.
    ===========

and no - I'm not THAT much of a geek ...that I just searched all that - I kept the best info from that thread as I need to get some replacements.

oh - your email is on my reply list - YES I do use and LIKE Dave Dogerty - great guy - who is the guy you mentioned? do you do pup replacement stuff your self?

I have an Ibanez Artcore that has pups that are dead - my dughter LOVES it so I CAN'T sell it ... so may try the Dimarzios.
    Bob