Any Greg-Howe-In-a-Box pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BenMordechai, Dec 18, 2009.

1. BenMordechai

BenMordechai Member

I'm looking for something similar to this tone:

I didn't find anything, any suggestions? :confused:

2. BenMordechai

BenMordechai Member

Thanks man, fixed. :aok

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

4. BenMordechai

BenMordechai Member

I know the BB, but he used it through an already driven Cornford, so it's not all BB. I didn't know he didn't use an amp, are you sure about that? Where did you get that info?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  5. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Cornford's sound too distinctive already.. That sweetass fuzzy lead tone!

6. cedjazz

cedjazz Member

I would say that he's using alot of compression on a very hot single coil in the bridge position for the solo sections. There doesn't appear to be an amp(or overdriven one anyway) in the equation. I saw him last week in San Francisco and he had a TS808 between his Marshall Half stack and his guitar. His guitar has a humbucker in the bridge so his tone was nothing like the Youtube clip, though there was typical TS compression.

I much prefer his current tone. Check out "Soundproof", the open track. It's clean distortion, if there is such a thing.

7. brain21

brain21 Member

Guys, if I'm not mistaken, this clip is from 1994, so it's WAY before him using Cornford amps. What he's using now has no bearing on what he used for this clip. BTW, his tone sounds WAY better now.

First of all there is chorus in the tone. Perhaps a bit of tight reverb. The tone sounds like it could be from a TubeScreamer turned very low. Didn't he use ADA MP-1s and MP-2s back in the day?

8. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Yea, I wasn't saying he used the Cornford or the BB, but that is something he is using now. I'm telling you the clip was recorded direct using a Tube Screamer for dirt. Ask the guys on his forum.

9. dreamspace

dreamspace Member

hey, late bump, but whatever:

Back then he used

Fender HM strat with Dimarzio singlecoil in neck and humbucker in bridge -> TS pedal -> Fender amp of some kind.

You can get a pretty similar sound with the Dimarzio Cruiser in neck -> Tubescreamer as clean boost + compressor -> cranked fender on clean channel.

It's all about the compression, as you can hear...he's got boatloads of it in that clip.

10. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

He used a modded Dual Showman in the early days.
    I have a very hard time believing that he recorded direct without an amp. A TS straight into the board? Noooooo way.

11. TLTD

TLTD Member

Maybe if the had Palmer PDI's and Sansamps back then. Today you can get direct sounds like that but I'm not sure how far back the Palmers and Sansamps go because when I look them up they are "vintage" because of the newer models being more preamp friendly. Frankly, tone is the best there will be don't be fooled by the mix, there isn't as much compression as you think today we use insane amounts of outboard compressors for everythingthat is in the same room as any of the 20 mics that get plugged in although Sound Proof sounds great (and really "direct" or "Axe FX" ish compared to this). Speaking of mics, sure sounds like Introspection had a few mics AND a direct sound. You'd be surprised, I've been learning on an HD Icon and we mic'd some amps with two mics on the cabinet and one mic about10 feet away catching the room and each mic brought something to the mix but and soloing just the SM57 revealed something interesting. We all know they sound great but they sound even better if you find a complimenting mic. It almost recreates "what you hear" like the DI boxes try to but will have it's own sound.
    I agree with the others, split coil or single/chorus/TS9/bit of verb (Quadraverb 99% sure-effects the tone in good ways in small amounts), some kind of preamp...hard to tell because he has his guitar volume down. Could be a modded ANYTHING lol. Whenever I think Kotzen/Howe, I always think they just used a Classic 50 because when I play one it is so close to that meaty fusion tone these guys use.

12. wizard333

wizard333 Member

DiMarzio Super 3 Bridge, TS, Red Knob Dual Showman.

There was a lot of studio stuff done to this later, probably in the mastering; I heard an earlier mix of this track and it was much more raw and less smooth overall. After having heard both, I think there was a lot of compression done during the mastering process.

I disagree with some of the above; I LOVE the tone he got back then, just as warm and smooth as melted butter. His tone now doesn't suck either, but the tone on Introspection and Five was just.......awesome.

Easily my favorite "shredder", though he goes way beyond what other shred guys do harmonically. My vote for most bad-assed & least known player ever.