Any Guild love on TGP?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by AfterDarkMusic, Feb 13, 2008.

1. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Hey guys. If any of you have been following my 'how long does it take to rehumidify' thread you know that I'm shopping for a new guitar. After much reading and research and finally playing a few Guild GADs (the US Guilds are too pricy for me at this point in my life) I do believe I've decided on a GAD 40C. Dreadnought with a cutaway and Solid Spruce top, Solid Mahogany sides and back, 1 11/16" nut width. These are the specs that seem to suit my style and sound the best.

Anyways, any love for guilds on this board? I've gotten mixed reviews on HC and Acoustic Guitar Forum.com.

Any love for the GADs in particular? At the price point I don't think you can't really beat them. The 40c is only $629 with a HSC.

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I just bought a Guild GAD212 a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful guitar! Well made, beautiful fit and finish, nicely set up for me. Not crazy about the tweed case but we'll see how it holds up in the long run.

I bought it primarily for gigging, after considering the American Guilds I thought it presented the best value, and would hurt less as it acquired the dings and dents that would inevitably occur.

I had the opportunity to play a Guild D5NT (shallow body A/E) a few weeks ago when another player let me use it for an open mic set. Played like butter, and sounded great.

A Guild will be on my short list whenever I consider new guitars.

3. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Guild is a sentimental favorite for many of us geezers whose first decent guitar 40 or so years back was a Guild. I have owned one NY and two RI-made Guilds but do not have a clue how the new ones stack up against the originals.

It would be interesting to hear an opinion of the new guitars from someone who also has some experience with a Westerly-built Guild under their belt.

4. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

I've got one of the 12-strings some folks regard as one of the 'Holy Grail' instruments, a Westerly, R. I. built with Brazilian rosewood back and sides, and a nice tight-grained spruce face, brown sunburst. Had it since about '89, and its been an almost daily player in that time.

I've always dreamed of getting a matching 6, but can't really afford a vintage D50 or some such right now. I played a couple of recent GAD dreads at Guitar Showcase one evening when I was early for class.

I was prepared to hate the 'made in China junk', but came away very pleasantly surprised. I could may be find some nits to pick, and the finish isn't QUITE as nice, but all told, very very nice guitars. Really good feel and tone, and for the price, I don't think you can beat them. Be aware that Guilds seem to have their own sort of feel, if you're used to a Martin or a Gibson, its gonna be different. (I like it better, I have huge hands, and Guild necks and string spacing seem to suit me better.)

I also have to say, of course, if at all possible, try the guitar you're going to buy before you buy it. Any company can and does make some clunkers, as well as some wonderful ones, and I think this is even more true of acoustics. You wanna be sure you're on the right end of that deal. And if you can't do it yourself, have the setup done by a good man, makes a whole lot of difference in how it plays.

5. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

As a company Guild has made some great guitars and a few that were not so great. Since being acquired by Fender their consistency has greatly improved [now being made in the Tacoma Factory in Wash. State]. I traded a Taylor T-5 to get a Guild CO-C1. It is just now getting good and broken in after about 6 months.

The GAD's are solid performers, made from great materials and tight QC by Guild. They are definitely one of the better imports.

6. 84Bravo

84Bravo Member

I have a newer F-47 made in Tacoma, and it's a great guitar. Wonderful neck, great Gotoh nickel tuners, red spruce top, flamed maple B/S. My first Guild I bought new in the 70s, a D-25; later in the early 80s I had a D-35. I've owned four Collings, six Martins, old Gibsons...the point is, my new Guild is better than my old Guilds and most of the other acoustics cited above, save my D-1 Collings, which met a bad end, unfortunately. I love the Guild. Bone nut and saddle, bone bridge pins, all the stuff you would find on higher-end acoustics are here. Loud, punchy, articulate, right out of the box. Try them. There's no other way for you to know. Opinions are fine, but you can't play them. Good luck.

7. mmarconi

mmarconi Member

I'm in the geezer group...I have no idea about the new guilds, but I LOVE my Westerly JF65-12..and I too like OlAndrew have dreamed of finding it's sister, a JF65-6...maybe someday...but I bought the 12 new in the 80's, best Jumbo maple 12's ever made. IMHO. Mike

8. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Certified Guild-a-holic here.... and I only live 15 minutes from the Martin factory............

[​IMG]

9. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

I've seen that pic... do you post on LetsTalkGuild? I just registered there over the weekend.

It's decided, I'm going to go with a guild. Probably the GAD, but if something else pops up in my price range between now and then, I might spring for it, just depends if something fits the ticket. I require a narrow nut width, 1 11/16th" at most, mahogany sides/back, and a cutaway. And I'll only have about $600 to spend.

10. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Have a '79 Guild F412 that eats other 12 strings for lunch. Also been playing a 70's D-25 for recording for the past 15 years. The GADs are some of the best bang for the buck acoustics around.

11. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Yep, LTG is my favorite music board in the universe. Great bunch of knowledgeable folks there that never take themselves too seriously. They enable and encourage my GAS attacks like no other group I've come across before or since.:jo

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for if you seek their advice... though it'll be hard to stop at just 1.

12. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Haha, I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll end up buying a rosewood bodied Guild down the road.

13. devinb

devinb Member

I used to have a Waverly D-30, very fine guitar, but it was one of the maple back/side ones, and ultimately too bright for the singer/songwriter stuff I moved into...

I know the GAD series has some crazy low prices, but I suspect you can get a used USA for not that much more, might be worth looking for.

14. Telerockr

Telerockr Member

I love my Guild D-55 !!! :BEER

15. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I owned a Guild D-55...not bad sounding and it sure was pretty.

I'm looking for a top-of-the-line Guild 12-string next.

16. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

I have a GAD50E that I bought last september, and today I just took delivery of a 1980 D40. I bought it from the original owner. I looks, plays, sounds wonderful. It's possibly the phattest cowboy chorder I've ever heard, but it's still got that sweet jangle. Love guild acoustics!

17. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

tell me about the one on the right please?!

18. Lebowski

Lebowski Member

Have a 70's D40 and my main electric is my Westerly Bluesbird goldtop...can never have enough Guild. Extremely under-rated guitars that are a great bargain.

19. RomanS

RomanS Member

Got a Guild GAD-30E (that's the orchestra-body model, with mahogany sides and a Fishman pickup); love it, it's my main acoustic (though, admittedly, I play electric - Teles - most of the time...)

BTW, the previous owner of my Guild was the acoustic guitars reviewer of the largest German guitar mag, "Gitarre & Bass", and in his review about precisely the GAD-30E I now own, he wrote that it is at least as good in tone and playability as the lower-end Martin orchestra models (he also said that the GAD series guitars do not have the classic "Guild tone", but sound more like Martins).

20. AfterDarkMusic

AfterDarkMusic Member

Well, my Epiphone Les Paul went via Buy It Now for more than I expected. $350 + shipping, which is what I paid for it :thu:. So I'll be ordering my GAD 40C in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to give a full run down when it arrives.

Just for fun I'm going to go ahead and estimate a delivery date of...

March 12 if I have to use a money order or March 7 if I can use paypal.