Any guitar stores worth visiting in Barcelona or Lisbon?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TonePilot, Jan 12, 2019.

1. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

In Barcelona now. Will be in Lisbon soon.

Barcelona’s full of high-end boutiques which will keep the wife happy but not me.

2. modavis99

modavis99 Silver Supporting Member

Barcelona - no.

Well it might depend what you’re looking for. But I only saw overpriced Chinese guitars, Fenders, Gibsons etc

Maybe I missed a cool local store

3. Farkedeltorre

Farkedeltorre Member

Yes, in Barcelona Weiss Hugel in Carrer de Calabria. My daughter used to live round the corner, owner makes his own electric & electroacoustic guitars with innovative carbon fiber necks & the acoustics with a kind of wheel on the soundboard to vary resonance. He used to tour with I think weather report looking after electronics. Very nice guy & I spent a long time there trying out some of his guitars. Also sells other guitars & instruments. Had a very nice 1965 mustang last time I was there which I still wish I'd bought. Opening times slightly variable, I caught him late afternoon, early evening. Hope you get there, worth a look!

MoarGear and TonePilot like this.
  4. Farkedeltorre

Farkedeltorre Member

nearest metro Rocafort meant to say. It's about a 2 minute walk from there.

MoarGear likes this.
  5. Boiller

Boiller Member

MoarGear and TonePilot like this.
  6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

For crying out loud, there is so much to do in Lisbon, forget guitar shopping for a day or two.

However, if you must ;), I recall visiting a small shop of an individual building classical and Spanish guitars that was cool. Can’t recall the address, though it was in the downtown area.

MoarGear likes this.
  7. TonePilot

We’re pretty jam packed with the normal tourist stuff but I hope I’ll have some downtime to meet local musicians and check out the local market.

MoarGear likes this.
  8. TonePilot

Gotcha but the place doesn’t show up in any of my maps.

9. TonePilot

Doesn’t appear that live music plays much of a role in the city so far. No music stores, no street musicians so far. But, going exploring again today. Who knows what’s out there :)

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

My personal recommendation: for a few days, forget the gear, focus on the music. Some love it, others don't, but if you leave Lisbon without having visited a really good fado club, you've not experienced Portugal. Barrio Alto is the neighborhood with the best such clubs. Dig the music over some local green wine, olives, and cheese.

Another recommendation: if you're truly "jam packed with the normal tourist stuff," consider letting go of some of it in favor of just roaming the streets aimlessly for some of your trip. Do it Little Rascals style: "I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way!" :)

70 Mach 1 likes this.
  11. jonboy1974

jonboy1974 Supporting Member

I have to been to Barcelona and only found one music store that had a bunch of overpriced Taylors. Like you said, if you want to shop for designer clothing and high priced jewelry, then you are in the right place.

12. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

Barcelona=lladros.

Was there in 84 while i was in the navy.
    Say hello for me. along with a few others sailors we are still wanted there.
    We wrecked the place over some locals runnung their traps about the red white and blue

Lisbon was nice but i dont remember any thing other than plates and plates of the best seafood dishes and rice that i ever had.

TonePilot likes this.
  13. TonePilot

Good advice and I want to try the Fado clubs. Great recommendation and on my list of things I want to experience.

14. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Nylon string selection at Casa Luthier. I bought a decent factory nylon string guitar there. No info on electrics. Already had the deal worked out via email before I got there. While we were waiting for our lodging to become available I walked to the store, played their selection and bought one. After getting the VAT refund, it was a very good price. That is the extent of guitar shopping for me. Too much to see otherwise. Never shopped guitars in Lisbon. The true Portuguese guitar is somewhat different.

After spending time in the Andalusia region in a lot of flamenco clubs, the fado music of Lisbon didn't move me much. But it is a good thing to sample all music cultures.

hunter