Any guitar tube amps with a 1k midrange? Other than Ampeg VT's

SonexReducer

I'm ruined for life and can't bring myself to play out of anything but my old ampeg vt-40 because the 1k midrange setting is where its at for me. Just wondering what else is out there other than bass amps. I know about eq pedals and such, had an old ibanez pq9 with a parametric eq knob for midrange, it wasn't the same.

Thanks.

tmac

Goldmember
Gold Supporting Member
those old Ampeg's have a complex circuit, more going on than just the 1K midrange and would be hard to duplicate or even get close with anything else. I wish someone would build a clone. It would be very expensive to make a hand wired one, to make it possible for a builder they would probably need to go PCB in mass quantities, and of course have a market for it, but I'd buy a new VT-40 or V-2, especially in a 1x12 combo format or a head. and lower the voltages a bit so you could run 6V6's.

SonexReducer

those old Ampeg's have a complex circuit, more going on than just the 1K midrange and would be hard to duplicate or even get close with anything else. I wish someone would build a clone. It would be very expensive to make a hand wired one, to make it possible for a builder they would probably need to go PCB in mass quantities, and of course have a market for it, but I'd buy a new VT-40 or V-2, especially in a 1x12 combo format or a head. and lower the voltages a bit so you could run 6V6's.
I'm guessing there's good reason it hasn't been done yet. If more bands start using them like queens of the stone age, maybe something will happen.

amphog

I have been more of a V-4 person, but recently scored a VT-40. The V-4 like the 300hz range for giving up the goods, but definitely 1khz on the VT-40. They would be a very expensive amp to build today, to many real parts like inductors and large transformers!

Diablo1

I have been more of a V-4 person, but recently scored a VT-40. The V-4 like the 300hz range for giving up the goods, but definitely 1khz on the VT-40. They would be a very expensive amp to build today, to many real parts like inductors and large transformers!
The old Ampegs are still out there for cheap money. Built like tanks to outlast the other brands. It would be tough to make money selling a new and expensive reproduction. Just buy the old amp, hunt down NOS tubes, and recap when needed.

SonexReducer

I've had a lot of tube amps in my day. I've never liked a single one. It's true. And yes amphog, the 1k setting on the vt-40 is where it's at and has ruined me for life. I literally have the mid range knob @ 3:30pm at the 1k setting and it's totally unsettling, rude, and gives a nice rock n roll honk like no ones business.

And yep diablo, they're cheap! Tubes were easy to find here in Austin and had a solder touch up, bias checked (running a bit low, but it sounds nice so i had it left that way) and it's been serviced in the past.

It just smells funky sometimes, my wife says it smells like an easy bake oven, I'm not going to trip on it until something dies.